“Very friendly and welcoming”

Thurlestone Guest House
Ranked #17 of 102 St Ives B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We just spent four nights here with a group of friends to attend a family wedding. Mandy and Gary were so friendly and welcoming, it couldn't have been more enjoyable. Everywhere is spotlessly clean and the beds very comfortable and breakfast was superb. We would highly recommend this B & B if spending time in the St Ives area.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front have a lovely sea view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank ptwhalley

Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a 3 night stay, was welcomed straight away by Mandy and Gary, stayed in single room with sea view which had everything I needed including a lovely comfy bed, a lovely choice of breakfast, full English is great , defiantly would recomend a stay there as I have booked up to go back again very soon

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This was our second attempt to have a holiday at the Thurlestone. The first one was cut short owing to my partner being taken ill - an experience made all the less painful by our hosts Mandy and Gary who were very understanding and extremely helpful, ensuring we had everything we needed to make the stay as comfortable as possible. It was for this reason we decided to book with them again just over a year later.

After parking in a provided slot directly in front of the guest house, we were greeted like old friends and Mandy and Gary were both as charming and welcoming as before. The room had a sea view and we were provided with a kettle and a variety of drinks and biscuits. There was also a hair dryer, TV and DVD player combi but the highlight for me was the bed! I can't recall having ever slept in such a large bed - perfect for some undisturbed sleep and my partner was very impressed with the hygiene and mattress laser cleansing certificates that the welcome pack sported.

There was plenty of cupboard space, a chest of drawers and bedside tables. One great touch I felt was the inclusion of a mesh pot to empty the contents of your pockets into on the window sill. I am forever misplacing things and this gave me a central place for cables, cameras, spectacles etc. It meant I wasn't forever searching for items before heading out. The shower was of a good size and there was always hot water and a variety of different sized towels.

The breakfast options were extensive and the 'full English' was difficult to resist. Racks of toast, jams and preserves, fresh fruit, yoghurts, cereals, juices, even mini Marmite pots were available on a self service basis whilst the 'fry ups' were always delivered promptly and well cooked and presented. There was a choice of salmon, eggs benedict, poached or scrambled. Porridge was also available on request. This was all excellent, however once again the personal touches were what made the difference. My partner is gluten and lactose intolerant and she was catered for as though it were a standard offering. Gluten free breads and soya milk were available and they even poached her salmon in soya milk. I don't know whether these are available normally or whether the hosts had made a note of our requirements during our previous stay.

The hotel boasts an honesty bar with TV which was a nice way to round off the evening with a bit of shared TV and a wide variety of soft drinks, beers, ciders and spirits. They even offered peanuts and cheese-flavoured snacks.

The hosts' professionalism was on display during our stay when one of the guests was taken ill as he sat down for breakfast complaining of a pain in his chest. A doctor was called and paramedics arrived followed shortly by an ambulance. Despite the circumstances breakfast continued for the other guests and the gentleman was taken into a separate area to be examined. He was taken away around half an hour later and as I understand it is now recovering in hospital. What I really appreciated was the proprietors never missed a step and remained professional but concerned throughout.

There are some great walks into St Ives from the Guest Houses location in Carbis Bay and within 20 minutes we were in the centre of St Ives. A taxi into town usually cost us around £6 - £7 depending upon time of day and we rarely waited for more than a few minutes for a cab.

We stayed for a total of three nights and there were some wonderful personal touches that we really appreciated and some at a level that we have never experienced from other establishments before.

I guess the important question is would we stay there again?

For me the answer is simple. There are plenty of places you can get the nice rooms and the good breakfasts, but there are very few places you can get the welcome that guests get at the Thurlestone. Buildings are just buildings. It's people that fill the place with heart and soul. So the answer is YES! we shall return. Most definitely.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have a great view and with the window closed are very quiet however with the wind...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Me and my other half booked a room in this hotel last minute as we fancied a trip to St Ives, got a relatively small room - however it was a lovely room, not really much of a view but we didn't go to spend all day in the room! Huge shower, clean, quiet. Close to the beach, train station and local pubs / restaurants and only a short train ride to St Ives. Couple who own the b&b are so friendly and welcoming and went out of their way to help every guest. Breakfast was something else - delicious. Would recommend staying here and will certainly be coming back. Would only say prepare for terrible mobile phone service!! Wifi is provided however so it's only a minor inconvenience.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Visiting st Ives as we were attending a wedding at the harbour hotel st Ives, oh I'm do glad we stayed here, in one word breath taking.Beautiful guest house spotlessly clean, owners friendly and very nice couple. A short walk from a private beach owned by a hotel,beautiful. Would highly recommend this guest house we will be going again.well done both one of the best places we have ever stopped. And brekki was lush. Thankyou.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Me my partner and my 6 year old daughter stayed here for 2 nights because we had a wedding to go to at the Carbis bay hotel and we loved the place. It was 5 mins from the beach and the location of the wedding. Mandy and Gary made us feel so welcome and my 6 year old daughter loved them, they made her feel special and she loved it. We stayed in the family room and it was warm and cosy, the shower was lovely and the room was nice and clean with everything we needed, my daughter loved having bunk beds for a couple of nights and I also loved the touch of the curtains that you could close so she felt like she was in her own room. The breakfast in the morning was delicious and there was lots of choice. Overall we all loved our stay at the Thurlestone guest house and come home feeling happy. I highly recommend this accommodation to anyone :)

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 22 March 2014

My partner treated me to a three night break in March staying at the Thurlestone as a birthday treat and we were absolutely delighted with our experience.After the warmest of welcomes nothing was too much trouble for Mandy and Gary and they treatedus more as friends than guests.We would certainly stay there again and recommend it to one and all!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple