“Hit and MISS.....”

Porthminster Beach Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Porthminster Beach Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 156 Restaurants in St Ives
Price range: US$9 - US$32
Cuisines: Seafood, International
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A Cornish beach café using local produce to the best of our ability, producing modern European dishes with a Pacific Rim influence. We pride ourselves on the best service we can deliver, and experiences our customers will remember. Apologies, but we do not accept dogs in our restaurant or on our terrace.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

You can't fault the magnificent setting of this beautiful beach cafe, it's breathtaking however, the cuisine and service is somewhat erratic. We were joined by friends for lunch (at the recommendation of the beautiful boutique hotel in which we were staying) and they praised this restaurant highly. Our lunch with friends was fabulous, both the cuisine and service, so much so that my partner rebooked for the last night of our stay.
That was when disaster struck, we arrived shortly after 6pm, thereafter an array of waitrons haphazardly served us, when we asked to order starters and would thereafter decide on mains, we were advise don't that 'this was not allowed as it confuses the kitchen', so we ordered garlic bread and mains of crab seafood linguine and monkfish curry as mains, we opted to forego the starters. The monkfish curry was tepid, the linguine bland to the point of asking for chili and garlic (completely different to the one we had enjoyed a couple of days prior). We enquired if the curry was meant to be served room temperature (Gazpacho comes to mind) and mentioned the linguine wasn't the same as previously enjoyed (at lunch) to which the evening manager advised that he had felt the bowl, in which the curry was served and it was warm and that the linguine is different to lunch. When mentioned that again the was not as good as at lunch, he advised that the garlic bread (which was dry and tough) was only done for us as a favor as it's generally not served at dinner (which we were not told when ordering).
We like to think that perhaps it was just an off evening.....

Write a ReviewReviews (2,870)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This cafe is in a fantastic location right on the beach. We have visited several times just for a drink.

Today we visited for breakfast and it was excellent and very good value for money. I had a full English breakfast and my wife had Waffles with bananas and clotted cream.

The service here is excellent and with location on the beach a fantastic start of our day

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Birthday breakfast, reasonable, nice service, perfect way to start the day. A cut above yer average beach cafe.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Whilst staying in St Ives and passing the very busy café during the day, we decided to book an evening meal there. We were not disappointed. Booking by phone we managed to get a window seat. Wonderful for watching the sun set and the activities of the various gulls etc. Arriving 20 minutes early, the table was set and ready. Greeted by very friendly and efficient staff we were made very welcome. Lovely starters of chowder for me and scallop for the wife were delicious. Mains of monk curry for the wife and a most delicious turbot fillet for me surpassed the starters. So well presented. I ordered a side of fries and I wasn't disappointed in them either,well cooked and a decent portion. Finishing with deserts of tamarillo and a sticky toffee pudding with accompanying desert wine was ideal. That together with 2 bottles of sauvignon blanc made the most perfect evening. Footnote When booking by phone I was informed window seats are only bookable from 8.30 onwards, prior to that its down to luck. Enjoy

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The location of the restaurant on Porthminster beach is idyllic. We booked a late sitting so that we could watch the sun set as we ate. Beautiful. As was the company.

Food was equally as good as the view. My wife had the Hand Dived Cornish Scallop
Seaweed Butter, Truffle, Baby Peppers & Polenta Chips. This was a fantastically cooked starter, packed with flavour. I had the Crispy Fried Squid, Miso Dressing & Black Spice. Squid is my go to starter at a seafood restaurant and don’t think I’ve had better anywhere. Fair play. Miso dressing was a refreshing change from an aioli.

Whilst both could not doubt the quality of both starters, I have to say for £9.50 and £10 was a bit on the heavy side for one scallop and a relatively small portion of squid.

For main we both had the Cornish Crab & Seafood Linguine, Crab, Langoustine, Mussels, Prawns, Chilli, Garlic, Fresh Lemon & Parsley. Top draw stuff! Lots of really fresh seafood and lovely pasta. Absolutely lush.

Mrs H was full at this point so for desert I had the Manuka Pannacotta & Fresh Figs
Rum Syrup, Pistachio Biscotti & Thyme. Probably not everyone’s cup of tea as there were some strong flavours but I really enjoyed.

I also marked down my score slightly as the service wasn’t as attentive as you would want. A classic case of once you’ve ordered your starter and main you get less attention.

Th Porthminster Beach Cafe is a fantastic restaurant. Perfect for any special occasion.