“Nice place for dinner”

Ranked #65 of 143 Restaurants in St Ives
Price range: US$41 - US$41
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, British
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Kids, View
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Bruges, Belgium
“Nice place for dinner”
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Went for dinner. We didn't book a table but even though it was very busy we got a table quickly. Staff is fine. Not overly hospitable but friendly enough. The pizza was great. It was pizza like in Italy: thin crust and not chewy. Just like it should be (though I heard a lot of Brits complain about the crust). The potted Newlyn crab was great. Lovely view over the harbour. Great choice.

“Unwelcoming”
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

While on a wonderful family holiday we thought we'd sample the breakfast menu at Onshore (having had dinner here in previous years). Sadly neither the breakfast nor the service were worth getting out of bed for. I had to send my breakfast back as my "poached eggs" were poached to within an inch of their lives. The spinach that accompanied my breakfast was no more than perhaps 6 wilted spinach leaves. I kindly asked if they wouldn't mind replacing my poached eggs with soft centres, to which the waitress kindly replied "yeah but i don't know how long that'll take". I wasn't asking for haste, I was in no rush. Thankfully the eggs returned in less than 6 minutes with lovely soft centres. However, my salmon portion had been significantly reduced (think blini's portions) and now instead of 6 wilted spinach leaves, I had three rather sad and very cold spinach leaves.

As I do with most poor experiences, I try to find at least one redeeming factor/quality and if I'm honest, I'm struggling, so I will bestow that privilege on the toast, the slices that were not charred.

I'd avoid breakfast here at all costs, it wasn't even so much the food, more the hugely disappointing service and the lack of smiles from any member of staff, including who I believe was the manager. Simply disappointing.

• Visited July 2014
London
“Food great”
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

We've visited st ives many times and tried lots if the restaurants. This was our second visit and food was superb, can highly recommend the scallops starter and monkfish main

Dudley, United Kingdom
“superb breakfast”
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Had breakfast in the Onshore and I must say it was excellent, I had smoked haddock with spinach and poached eggs on brown bread. Breakfast and service and price was brilliant. Will be going back again.

2 Thank neil m
“Excellent food, service could do with refining”
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Went with my wife for our wedding anniversary and could not find any fault with either the quality or quantity of the food. The restaurant is perfectly located looking out across St Ives harbour, this clearly pushes the price up a bit but it is still reasonable priced.
The staff are friendly when you can get hold of them, there were only three people working when I attended even though the restaurant was fully booked, but I guess more staff would mean increased overheads and higher prices for the food so there is always a trade off.
I would definitely eat there again, in fact tonight was my third visit. You need to make sure you book before attending as it is always busy, but it is well worth the wait.