“Amazing place”

Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Sorry for any inconveniences but we are closed on Christmas Day
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We recently attended a wedding here and throughout the afternoon and evening I was surprised over and over again by the professionalism and level of service such a small place provided. The owner and her team were so efficient, the canapés and the buffet in the evening were not run of the mill but instead quirky (there had obviously been a lot of thought given to the food) and tasty and the day seemed to go without a hitch. I was particularly impressed by the owner who ensured that at all times the bride was looked after, had a full glass and a plate of food. I'd definitely go back - the views were so lovely and the beach was stunning in the evening. Lovely place.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Having read some really good reviews recently I had high hopes for our evening meal here. Sadly I came away disappointed by the experience. Nothing was terrible, nothing was remarkable. It was just a very average experience in a week of brilliant evenings out in St Ives.

The food was generally good overall, though the tasting plate of vegetarian dips with one flat bread was expensive at over £7. We both ordered the cod with confit leek mash which was quite tasty but turned in to a wet mess as a lot of water came out of the cod once it was cut in to, seeping into the lovely creamy mash and diluting everything else on the plate. Maybe the chef was having an off night as many other diners seem to have had excellent experiences, but we left a little disappointed, especially as this was quite an expensive meal.

The other thing to note was that the service, whilst efficient, was not especially friendly. This was in contrast to our experience of dining in St Ives as a whole. An example of this would be when we were approached and asked how our meal was. Before we could even answer that it was ok, the waitress had turned around to walk away. I would prefer that the question isn't asked at all rather than as a matter of procedure with the answer being irrelevant.

Whilst the location is hard to beat, and the view from the large window was lovely, I would not return. In a town with so many outstanding places to eat, you don't need to spend time or money in a place that is anything less.

1  Thank Reachforthesky
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

This place is amazing. The food was outstanding, the atmosphere relaxed and the service fantastic. ! A special mention to Alice, Louise and Phoebe who worked hard to make our evening memorable. ! It was fabulous to see our kids running along the beach between courses! The location is unbelievable ! We sat outside , very relaxed, although formal diners were inside! 5 star in every way! Close to perfection !

Reviewed 24 May 2014

We recently discovered Porthgwidden beach cafe as the venue for our friends wedding. What a find. We had an amazing day. Food was wonderful and moreish. Staff were so friendly and welcoming. We were back there for the day on Sunday without question. Set on a beautiful sandy beach, great for kids and families. Highly recommended on your visit to St Ives. We will definitely be back

Reviewed 24 May 2014

We have been here many times before so were looking forward to it...but, oh dear! We are pretty accommodating and usually find something good to say about food, but the whole lunch was a disaster. We chose to sit outside even though it was cold, but regretted this when a gang of sparrows moved in and took over our table, attempting to get food off our plates. Having a meal with wings beating in your face isn't actually all that pleasant. Our waitress was friendly, but forgot to tell us the soup of the day and also forgot to point out the specials board. I ordered the home made burger which truly was vile....cold, greasy cheese on top and limp soggy bacon in a dry white roll. And worst of all, chef had decided to put chilli powder in it. That is not a basic hamburger! When I complained, I got a lacklustre response about chef deciding to put chilli in. Not the point, really...it should be described as such on the menu then! Despite leaving the food and being unhappy about it, we were offered no discount at all on the bill which I think was pretty disgraceful. After a gorgeous meal at the Porthminster Beach Cafe the day before, the contrast between the two meals was immense. Come on guys...it's St Ives, there's no excuse for badly cooked meals and uninformative menus! So I'm afraid I can't recommend this place based upon our visit, unless your idea of having a good time is to be attacked by birds whilst eating greasy, chillied meat.

1  Thank ginnywHampshire