“A Wonderful Find”

Rivendell Guest House
Ranked #25 of 102 St Ives B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 September 2011

It was our lucky day when, searching on the internet for accommodation on our first trip to St. Ives, we found the Rivendell guest House. Angela and Barrie are welcoming and warm hosts. Our charming room was spotlessly clean and had a lovely view over the harbour.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Deirdre R

Reviewed 3 August 2011

Stayed at the rivendell for the first time.Beautiful b&b.lovely people and lovely breakfast.great spot.need I say more!!!!

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank Michaelclare
Reviewed 29 June 2011

We stayed at Rivendell Guest House in June 2011. Barrie and Angela run the guest house and make a huge effort to make you feel comfortable and well looked after.
When we booked over the phone Angela was very friendly and helpful, and on arrival we got a very warm welcome and a cup of tea, which was lovely after our 300+ mile journey! She also sat and talked to us about good places and restaurants to go to.
Our room was spotless and very nicely decorated. It was serviced daily and we had complementary biscuits and hot drink making facilities. Now to the main event, the breakfast......we got a lovely welcome each morning and could help ourselves to juice, a wide selection of cereals, fruit and yoghurt. We could then order cooked breakfast off the menu, either a full English or lighter things like eggs on toast. Barrie is a qualified chef and it definately shows. They have really good quality food and it is grilled so it's really tasty without being greasy. It really sets you up for the day!
Rivendell is in a briliiant location in between the lovely Porthminster Beach and the main part of St Ives with the harbour. Its a nice walk into town.
St Ives in general was lovely, very picturesque, with some good harbourside watering holes such as the Sloop Inn, and lots of great restaurants e.g. St Andrews Bistro, The Wave, The Mex, to mention a few.
Thanks once again to our lovely hosts Angela and Barrie!! Rachael and Darren xx

Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RachnDaz_11
Reviewed 23 June 2011

my husband and I with friends stayed a week at this charming guest house. Angela could not do enough to make our holiday go smoothly bus times, train offers, walks with the best views best eating places, Every thing was at her finger tips, She was marvellous!!. Barrie is a superb chef the breakfasts were fantastic . beautifully prepared and presented. We were only sorry we missed the evening meals by a year. The decor . and cleanliness was second to none so very tasteful. Angela ,and Barrie make a great team , such warmth ,and humour. We loved every minute of our stay. Thank you both so much for a very special holiday. Sheba from midlands

Room Tip: state your requirements on booking
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank shebaFromMidlands
Reviewed 20 June 2011

I first discovered St. Ives in 1973 and, having travelled abroad for many subsequent holidays, I decided to return in July 2008 when I booked into the Rivendell Guest House, quite by chance, after searching on the internet for accommodation. I found it a very comfortable, homely and welcoming guest house which is easily accessable and, in my opinion, ideally situated for exploring the town. The owners, Angela and Barrie, are extremely friendly and very helpfull. I have now stayed at the Rivendell for at least one week each June since and find that I am one of several other repeat guests.
I would truly recommend this guest house to anyone using St. Ives as a base for their holiday.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank DavidMWood2011
Reviewed 18 June 2011

I went down with an old friend for a long weekend in St Ives and the surrounding area. I found the Rivendell guest house online, phoned them up, they took my booking and promptly sent me a proper receipt of my downpayment--something that other guest houses I ahve stayed in before do not bother to do. The house is absolutely lovely, pleasant and spotlessly clean. You can really tell that the owners have an enormous amount of experience in the hospitality trade, since everything seems to have been thought about before you think about it, and yet there is a seeming effortless quality to how this happens. A rare mixture of laid back and efficient. The guest house is about five minutes walk from the town center, and roughly the same from the station as well. So if you are arriving by train it's great. And since St Ives gets incredibly busy (even earlier in the year) this small, but not inconvenient bit of distance, is necessary and welcome. The breakfasts every morning were spectacular, and the owners just so helpful with any of the requests we had about transport and places to go and general tourist advice--and since the tourist office in St Ives was closed down when we were there, this was greatly needed. If I am ever down there again, I will definately stay in the Rivendell once more. It made my holiday so much better knowing that I was in such competant hands. The rooms are very tastefully decorated and the plumbing worked great too. We slept in a twin room at the top of the house, and had no noise problems--either from outside or from other rooms.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jamie048
Reviewed 26 May 2011

I returned to St Ives for another stay at Rivendell Guest House, where Barrie, Angela and family make guests very welcome. Having lived in St Ives for many years, it is so nice to come home again and to see friends and family in the area. By home I mean the guest house where all your comforts are catered for and the friendly service, cosy surroundings and good food is always up to the highest standard every time. Have spent many of my birthday's here along with an engagement, marriage blessing, honeymoon and further holidays to come, I will always stay where I am welcomed with open arms. Can recommend this great guest house to people from all over the UK and abroad. Although I am disabled, I will always manage the stairs for a holiday to remember. Any guests who find difficuly walking, can always get a bus or taxi back up the hill. Forget the rest, go for the best. Elizabeth.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple