The Ship and Castle Hotel
Madeira Hotel(Falmouth)
  • Breakfast included
Excellent 5/5
View Hotel
All reviewsshearings holidaydining roomcoach driverpost officeevening entertainmentsea viewa la carte menugreat positionco oprestaurant managernight breakmobility problemsfantastic viewssituated rightextractor fanlong weekendfour nights
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We stayed here in May and loved the position of the hotel, the dining room and lounge have magnificent views over the harbour. The dining staff were most efficient and the choice of food good. Would have liked a fresh fruit option for dessert. The reception staff were not so efficient but friendly. Our room although specious was hot and the window could not be opened due to secondary glazing. The shower did not stay in is fitting and the water pressure was too low. As I said 2 nights were enough I would not recommend this hotel for any longer and try to stay away from room 202 if you want a good shower and fresh air!!!!!! Watch the bar tab as they tried to overcharge us.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MonsonDevon
ShipandCastleHotel, General Manager at The Ship and Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2013

Thank you for your comments, which will be passed on to all our staff. The small problems you encountered during your stay have now been rectified and will no longer be a issue. All bar tabs have to signed by the guest at point of sale and our tills product charge directly to the room. Any charges can only be amended by the management team. I have looked into your concerns and checked all our account procedures. This should ensure no further problems.
Paul

Reviewed 23 June 2013

You will have a hard job to beat the views to be afforded from the dining room and lounge.

You pay for what you get and I have no issues with the quality of the staff, food or accommodation for the price that we paid.

If you are canny you can even park within the village for free providing you move your cars location a couple of times

My only surprise is that the food hygiene certificate has only four stars. perhaps the management can comment on this in their follow up.

Room Tip: Sea View rooms would be preferable
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Philip C
ShipandCastleHotel, General Manager at The Ship and Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2013

Thank you for your comments.
In answer to your question on our 4 star Food Hygiene rating, this is quite simple.
These rating not only cover food standards and kitchen hygiene; they also incorporate the building structure.
We passed all the hygiene and food standards with flying colours. But were unable to gain the five stars due to the lay-out of the kitchen being very old fashioned and impossible to modernise.
This star rating does give a false impression of our food standards, but is something we are unable to change.
paul Hollick
G.M

Reviewed 14 June 2013

our first time to the ship and castle although parking is a problem it isnt far to walk to the hotel, reception staff were friendly and helpful, food was of a good choice but perhaps not enough for the hungry eater. our room was clean and tidy, the only downside was that the window didnt open very wide.staff serving food were helpful if at times we were rushed to finish to get others in.the setting of the hotel is very good over looking the harbour, thank you

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank robert t
ShipandCastleHotel, General Manager at The Ship and Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2013

Thank you for your comments and review, which I will pass on to all the staff.
Some of our windows only have a limited opening, for the safety of the guests.
Being right on the quay does restrict the parking. But as you said, the large public car park is a short walk and is £4.50 per 24hours.
We look forward to seeing you again soon

Reviewed 1 June 2013

I have just returned from a 5 day break at St Mawes with Shearings, staying at the Ship and Castle. Overall the trip was excellent value and I have no complaints at all about the transport, organisation, location, excursions or the driver who was outstanding. The only let down was the food at the Ship and Castle which I can only describe as mediocre. Several of the items had obviously come out of tins; the vegetables were disgusting, extremely overcooked and at the same time only lukewarm. I can only imagine they were cooked hours beforehand and kept warm.

I am sorry to have to make such negative comments because the hotel was good value in all other respects; I had a comfortable room with everything I needed and the staff, with only one exception, were friendly, efficient and obliging.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank LondonSparrow

Thank you for your review and comments. This helps us to monitor and if possible improve our service and standards.
It’s very difficult to cook food to every one`s taste, but there is no excuse for tepid or over cooked vegetables. This will be investigated and will not be a problem in the future. Serving over a hundred covers means the food has to be cooked a short time in advance? Cooking to order would take hours and lead to guests waiting long periods of time.
We hope to see you again in the near future

Reviewed 30 May 2013

Stunning vistas from the refurbished downstairs.
Good is good- choice, quantity and service.
Rooms need more attention.
1st night I complained about the torn and stained shower curtain; the grey unwashed bedroom net curtain and the black dirt and mould around the bedroom and toilet windows.
There was a partial improvement of a new shower curtain and net taken down but the cleaning was insufficient.
I used 6 wet wipes and a teaspoon handle to try and scrape away the window mould and dirt and the stains on the painted woodwork doors.
I noticed an advert for housekeeping staff in the post office so presumably staffing is an issue in the cleaning team.
2 days later when the rain had stopped I still heard gushing water outside our toilet window splashing onto us as we washed. When looking outside I noticed that we were getting the waste water from the room above from a pipe that had come unconnected.
The brush from outside our bedroom window had been moved to outside our toilet window but was still unused on the dirt on the roof top.
Trip advisor app was a good use to us as had we arrived without the car park bag of £1 coins to feed the meter on the Bank Holiday we would have had a problem as the hotel has no car parking and is right on St Mawes sea front.
The entertainment can be heard but not seen as the design of the downstairs has obstructing pillars.
In all an " interesting" experience.
You get what you pay for I guess.
With some more upkeep this could be a great holiday experience.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Susan B
ShipandCastleHotel, General Manager at The Ship and Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2013

Thank you for your comments.
If these had been brought to my attention at the time, I could have reviewed them with you.
I have investigated your comments and acted upon them.
The repairs to the roof area were on-going at the time, but as you said; we did have a few days of rain. This stopped the work being completed for over a week.
The car park meter takes payment up to seven days in advance, so there is no need to keep feeding the machine daily.
If we had unlimited resources, then a full refurbishment plan would be ideal. Our hotel is great value for money and my staff gives first class service and customer care.