“Shearings Short Break”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in St Mawes
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Shearings Short Break”
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Shearings at its best again from coach pick-up to return including the excursions. Particularly good was the 'Ship and Castle', where the room (110) was without shortcomings; the staff were all consistently friendly (including our driver 'Tony') and the food quality was well above what could reasonably be expected for the package price. The coastal location is hard to beat with the harbourside about 30 (if I remember correctly!) paces from the hotel entrance. Thoroughly recommended.

2 Thank Erwoodgeorge
ShipandCastleHotel, Front Office Manager at The Ship and Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
I would like to thank you for writing your review on our hotel staff and location.

I am delighted to read that you had a wonderful stay with us and of course your ever so kind words are greatly received. I do agree with you that all our staff deliver the best customer care service and try to make sure we all go the extra mile just to make each and everyone a holiday to remember.

The location of the hotel has some stunning views and is as close to the harbour as you say.

Jackie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Clacton-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 January 2014

We have just returned and had a good break, the hotel was a bit tired our bedroom had onsuite but was not the best, toilet wedged between bath and wall and no double glazing. The staff were excellent they could not do enough for you, the waiters in the restaurant worked hard to make sure everything was served hot and to your requirements nothing was to much trouble, the barman he was excellent as were reception. Over all nice break beautiful location however would have been unhappy if we had payed the full tarrif.

Room Tip: Go for upgrade but costs extra
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on your recent stay at the ship and castle. I am pleased to read that all our staff made your holiday a pleasing one.

The company is in the process of a refurbishment programme and we hope to have some of our bathrooms done so as to illuminate the small issues we have.

I fully agree with you that the location is absolutely fabulous with stunning views.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Being a regular Coast and Country client, I have yet to be disappointed with any of their establishments, which seem to be improving their standards at a number of the locations that we have visited over these past years. We booked in for a long weekend self drive break and were allocated a well appointed sea view room upon arrival. The room was clean comfortable, well appointed and with excellent views. Our bed was comfortable and we slept well every night until woken every morning by the noisy seagulls.
The quality and choice of menu at breakfast and evening meal was excellent although I must admit that the portions at meal times appear to be decreasing from that offered in previous years.
The hotels location on the harbour quay at St Mawes is excellent, but it does make parking your car a problem and creates difficulties for people with mobility difficulties.as sometimes it is a long walk from where it is possible to park your car.
All the staff we encountered during our visit were friendly and courteous and we would have no hesitation in recommending this reasonably priced hotel to anyone wishing to take a short break or longer holiday in this part of Cornwall.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms to the front of the hotel well worth the extra charge.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your lovely review on our hotel .We do have exceptional views and beautiful surroundings.

We do as you say do not have parking at the hotel but the main council run car park is only a two to three minute walk away from the hotel.

I am sure you will be with me when I say this but our team do work exceptionally hard and try their utmost to achieve the best customer service and this does make us proud.

We do look forward to seeing you again

Uxbridge
Reviewed 28 December 2013

I am a regular Shearings traveller and am always pleased with their hotels but this one exceeded my expectations. My room was comfortable and most acceptable. The food choices were excellent and beautifully presented. Compliments to the chefs.
My Christmas holiday at this hotel was really wonderful and I have to congratulate ALL STAFF who were on duty. They were all HAPPY, I do mean ALL. This may be due to management but if so, it is really spot on. I was so impressed not only with the hotel and staff but the area is beautiful and I hope to return again in the summer time when the weather is better and lighter nights.

Room Tip: Any problems, go to reception. I did not have any I must say.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ann T
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the ship & castle. How nice it is to read that you had a fantastic stay with us and really pleased for all your kind words. I am so pleased to read that we exceeded your expectations and will pass all your kind remarks onto the staff. Look forward to your return visit in the summer .

Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I have just returned from the Ship & Castle, St Mawes with Shearings Coaches. It was a very good 5 days trip & stay at this Hotel. Being a single person I was treated like everybody else.
I had one complaint, the shower drain had a strong smell on last morning which I reported.
The dates I was there was 25th to 29th November.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on the ship & castle. It is nice to read that you had a good stay whilst with us and I am delighted with your kind words. I will pass all comments to the staff at our team meeting.

Leicester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Just returned from a weeks holiday at the Ship and Castle (2nd to 6th Dec 13). The location over the harbour is second to none for a relaxing break. Thank you to all the staff at the hotel for making our stay wonderful. The quality and choice of food is excellent (would love the recipe of the vegetarian balti as it was the best I had ever tasted). The staff at the hotel are extremely friendly, especially the wonderful lady cleaner who always brightened our mornings. The room was very clean (room 209). We would not hesitate in recommending this gem of a hotel to others.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Rob P
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your lovely review on out hotel. Our team do work exceptionally hard and always pleased to read such a positive review. Hope you will give us a return visit one day.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2013

My wife and I have just come back from 5 days at the Ship and Castle on a Shearings Coach Trip.We have nothing but praise for the hotel and staff especially Atilla our waiter, we stayed in room 119 which was superb, exceptionally clean and tidy, with a wonderful view of the harbour

Room Tip: Room 119 as I have said is exceptional overlooking the harbour.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank John H
Thank you for taking the time to post all your kind comments, I will pass all your positive views onto our staff and look forward to seeing you again.
Regards
#1 of 1 in Portloe
The Rosevine
The Rosevine
#2 of 2 in Rosevine

Been to The Ship and Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!