“It rocks!”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in St Mawes
London
“It rocks!”
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

We spent 4 nights here as part of a Cornwall trip. What a great decision. Our room, room 8, has opening doors on two walls with juliette balconies, giving a sense of being in the water at high tide. The room is elegantly decorated with enough space to be comfortable and a sense of complete privacy. Very high quality finishings including large and comfy bed, lovely bathroom products, big soft towels etc.

The service was perfect. Sid, the Concierge, makes the place tick and is very helpful, going out of his way to help make the trip great. A mention to Matthew, the night manager, who is very friendly and had great ideas to make our trip even better. Housekeeping kept the room beautifully clean every day and were great at choosing times we were out to do the room.

The dinner we had was very good. The breakfast was excellent. Short but well selected wine list with interesting options and nothing in the stratospheric price range!

We loved sitting on the terrace in the afternoon sun, with a blanket when needed, and simply relaxing.

The Idle Rocks is a treasure of a place for a break from busy life, we will return for sure. If you are looking for spas, pools, big bars and lounges, and gardens, it's not the place for you. To chill out in a lovely setting with excellent but not too formal service, it rocks.

2 Thank PuttersLondon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

This was our first visit to The Idle Rocks and it won't be the last. Every aspects of the hotel was wonderful especially our room - number two. It had a fantastic bathroom and brilliant views over the harbour. The staff were excellent as was the food. We felt very special and valued. Small touches also made all the difference for example not having to complete a booking in form on arrival, staff remembering our room number, patio heaters being put on when it became a bit chilly and even being offered foot stools to put our feet up when relaxing on the terrace. Go to this hotel - you won't be disappointed.

1 Thank Roy1207
Chipping Campden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Good to see that this place has been restored following the disastrous storms earlier this year. Full marks to the owners (and presumably the insurers) for getting the show back on the road. The outside terrace is delightful with stunning views, especially on a sunny day. Interesting menu, with plenty of 'light' dishes. My lobster, crayfish and avocado salad was tasty, but lacking in avocado - just a handful of tiny tiny pieces. My husbands dressed crab was excellent. Wine, a bit pricey for the quality! Service is, well how can I put it kindly, a little hesitant. The staff seem to be missing that vital ingredient - i.e. someone in charge.

1 Thank moses_karibu
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

The Idle Rocks is a wonderful place to stay. The rooms are very high standard and some very up to date tech.
The staff were so helpful and very kind. When the internet went down they were bending over backwards to get it sorted.
The food is superb. The poached brill was the star meal I had.
The kids room was also another highlight.
Fantastic place and we will sure to be visiting again

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Welshbadgers
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I'm a little unsure about where to start with my review, and having viewed the most recent reviews regarding The Idle Rock........ I'm begining to think I may have dreamt it!???

Having had the most amazing wedding on Saturday, we arrived at The Idle Rock on Sunday 03/08/2014 - 3 nights in Room 15!

The hotel decor and surroundings are absolutely stunning - we couldn't have asked for better! Our room was located on the top floor over looking the harbour - many great little touches withoin the room with great attention to detail

We dined at the resturant on the first evening and enjoyed a great meal - food absolutely brilliant/ chef had a great eye for detail and the puddings arrived coming out looking like a work of art - Breakfast each morning consisted of anything and everything a guest could wish!

Staffing and Service - having worked for a number of the large Airlines as a Air Hostess for six years plus - I generally have a very high expectation of high customer service
I can honestly say the staff at the hotel were absolutely brilliant - at no stage did we have to remind any of them our names/ our room number etc this is a great touch!
Nothing was too much effort/ every staff member wanted to gauge in conversation/ all staff members had a great knowledge of the hotel and its surrounding areas - the staff and service truely made the trip!

Mark (Australian) Reception
Alex (Resturant Manager)
Female Bar Manager on Tuesday Night
All need to be mention and if you visit try and find them!

Thank You again and if you require a brilliant/ relaxing/ chilled out break - make sure you stay!

Room Tip: Room 15 - Roll top bath in room!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank danni h
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I've just come online to write a review of the property and was very surprised (and shocked) to find a number of poor reviews by other recent patrons.

To frame my review: I stayed at Idle Rocks for 6 nights with my partner, had dinner in their restaurant twice, and had a cream tea one afternoon on the terrace. It was my first time staying with them.

General impressions: The hotel in general is amazing; and very popular with those in the know. I noticed that a number of other visitors were not first time visitors. The view off the terrace is one of calm, peace and tranquil. From the terrace, and most of the seafacing rooms, you have a view of St Mawes' harbour, it's yatchs, boats and the roseland peninsular towards on the left. The view initially doesn't come as a big 'wow' but it has become one of my all-time-ever favourites. The comings and goings the ferry to Falmouth, people learning to sail, etc... = amazing tranquil. Yes, you can benefit from this view by having a cream tea or dinner on the terrace. Very limited seating and I believe the hotel has to turn people away if it is too crowded. The indoor seating just inside the terrace also has the same amazing seaview + the benefit of being a little warmer if it is windy or chilly outside.

Location: Regarding the hotel's location & in fact staying anywhere in St Mawes (for exploring the region) - In order to enjoy the relative tranquility of St Mawes, I had to make some sacrifices in convenience to get around by car. From St Mawes, I drove to and from the Lizard Peninsular (1+ hour), to Minack Theatre (close to 1h 45m in heavy traffic). Truro is about 20 minutes away. During daylight hours, the King Harry Ferry cuts driving time around the Fal river significantly but I had to take the long way around as I usually return after the ferry stops (around 21.30pm during the week of August I was there). One way ferry for the car was 5 pounds. If coming by train, a passenger ferry runs during the day between Falmouth and St Mawes. I'm thinking of arriving this way if I come back... of course without a car.

Rooms: In my opinion, not all rooms are equal! I was fortunate to be able to book a room at last minute for 6 days, but unfortunately I think I got one of the smaller harbourview rooms. During reservation I had requested for a room with floor-to-ceiling french windows with seaview (there is only one, the other harbourview rooms have 'regular' windows. The other rooms with floor-to-ceiling French windows are those with the 'Seaview' rooms. Upon arrival I did ask about the possibility to upgrade to a larger room, but unfortunately the hotel was fully booked on a number of nights and the reception was unable to accommodate my request. I did request upon departure to take a look into one of the other rooms, and it was sublime. Almost all rooms have the same fantastic view of the harbour described above; my room had a slightly different view - left towards the rocky seafront beach and harbour (as it was the corner room towards one end of the hotel). The rooms are really comfortably furnished, and everything was very clean. Nespresso coffee in room, filtered bottled water always made available. Housekeeping team was truly fabulous and they made the rooms spotless after every morning. I do believe that what I am paying for was good value, although definitely on the high side. I must say that prices of the rooms without the views are amazing value. I do think that pricing of the rooms need to be rethought somewhat (and I will be writing to management about my feedback).

Dinner & Meals: I just read a previous negative entry which smelled a little fishy to me. As I mentioned before I had dinner twice in the restaurant and had fabulous food. The dishes were very creative and really tasty. Amongst the food we ordered on the first night - something cornish crab with mango - which was a combination hot and cold dish; with part of the crabmeat shelled and fried and another part shredded and mixed with other ingredients. For a main I had Harissa baked cod with chickpeas (cod was wrapped in a banana(?) leaf and baked on a bed of chickpeas. On the last night before we left, I had a whole sole on the grill which came with beans and chips, which was done just right, whilst my wife had orange lobster risotto which was also very good. Desserts were also done to a very good level. Regarding the one time I had cream tea, I had no complaints - it was pretty run-of-the-mill. Very nice cornish cream, decent homemade? strawberry jam, but the view of the harbour in the evening was worth it all.

Side note on dinner: On the second night in St Mawes I went to the other establishment up the road and I was honestly disappointed. I'm thinking of writing a tripadvisor review for them but honestly it was not memorable enough for me to do so. The other restaurant was just 'very average': Average food, average view, average (and slow) service. Perhaps I wasn't accorded the attention there since I was not a hotel guest.

Staff and Management: Sara and Kara at reception were very helpful and kind. Sid the concierge was also very knowledgeable and helped with recommendations of other places to eat in the area. The restaurant wait staff I found always attentive (in contrast to other comments I read). I believe we met the hotel director (Tim?) at breakfast one morning who displayed genuine interest in how our stay was. There are other great people around as well, but I didn't get their names.

So finally, any gripes? Very little. In summary here is just a few: (1) I was just a little disappointed that I got a small-ish room. (2) One night it got really warm (rooms have no air-conditioning, and the air was surprisingly still that one night) - but upon feedback, staff put up a dyson fan in the room the next day. Other nights the sea breeze was more than sufficient to keep the room comfy. (3) A little far from everywhere.

Otherwise, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves here, were made to feel welcome and can't wait to come back soon (sadly won't be too soon as we live a long distance away).

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Fluffyben
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I experienced mediocre restaurant service whilst staying at the Idle Rocks recently. We had booked a two night break with dinner on the first evening. What a disappointment our evening meal was. We felt forgotten from the moment we entered the restaurant, had to ask for menus, ask for our order to be taken, ask for a wine list, and ask for our wine order to be taken and even ask for steak knives. We did not get served our starters until 9.10 despite our table being booked for 8pm. All I can put it down to was inexperienced waiting staff who were friendly, helpful and obliging but not proactive. For the standard of food (which was excellent and prepared to perfection) the superb restaurant ambiance and the top end prices charged I expected a more professional and relaxing service. We did make our dissatisfaction known when we left the restaurant and all credit to the hotel management who waived our entire meal bill by way of compensation. A generous gesture that we very much appreciated.

Idle Rocks has one of best views in St Mawes overlooking the harbour. The rooms are very comfortable with the best wet room I have experienced in a hotel, wifi that works and modern facilities. It was a delight to wake up to the sound of waves lapping outside your window and then go down to sit on the terrace for breakfast whilst admiring the amazing views.

This review would have been totally positive had the dinner experience not overshadowed our stay. However as the management seem determined to put their customers first and address problems we will return.

1 Thank Zazu01
#1 of 1 in Portloe
The Greenbank Hotel
The Greenbank Hotel
#2 of 23 in Falmouth

Been to The Idle Rocks? Share your experiences!