The Rising Sun
Hotel Tresanton(St Mawes)
Madeira Hotel(Falmouth)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewsfish and chipspub foodlarge portionswashed downmy hubbylovely lunchlovely puban evening meallovely sunny dayate herelocal pubcoastal pathfresh fruitclub sandwichsea viewtea and coffeewell worth a visit
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 June 2009

This is our regular Friday night haunt for fish and chips and when we had a Jewish friend staying recently they were very happy to discuss what food she could have and to accommodate her [kosher] requirements. Well done!

Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 November 2008

Having visited the Rising Sun for a number of years it is a shame to see it now. The previous reviews were accurate, the place was a gem, the food was great but a year ago it changed hands and the old chef left. The small cosy bar was closed in a bid to get more covers. A lot of nautical fixtures & fittings went with the previous owners and the basic rooms are hotel rates for what is essentially a pub. Our latest visit will be our last. The food was dire. Fish (obviously frozen) was uncooked in the middle, the other meals were dried out having been reheated in the microwave. The attitiude of the management was the worst thing. Refused to apologise and openly said that takings were up so they didn't care. The previous review was right - sack the chef. Avoid the Rising Sun till it changes hands again.

Stayed: October 2008
6  Thank amazon63
Reviewed 5 August 2008

Pleasant room, though with kitchen smells. Housekeeping good, but poor front-of house with no regular reception or sense of management. Very poor food poorly served - very overcooked steak and soggy chips, fried bread instead of toast with scrambled egg, terrible greasy and tough bacon (microwaved?) inedible haddock.
Seems completely lacking in management, and the chef needs sacking.

Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank RosieBirminghamUK
Reviewed 26 July 2008

I stayed in this property in June 08. The room I had was quite spacious, well appointed, and very comfortable.

Breakfast was excellent. Great variety for a B&B, and a well served cooked meal was on offer.

The location was second to none, right on the water, next to the biggest car park.

St Mawes is a truly beautiful spot and this property is good enough to serve as a base.

I would recommend it.

One problem: when I stayed there was an issue with the water board, and one morning hot water was not available until noon. It was soon restored, and management offered as a free lunch or dinner for 2 in compensation.

• Stayed: June 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 13 November 2007

If I had gone by some of the reviews on this page, I would have had my reservations about staying at this hotel. So I am even more happy to provide an "unbiased" opinion on this place after staying there this past weekend to celebrate a wedding of a close friend. In one word - absolutely delightful!!. Excellent location in the centre of town, a wonderful, friendly, very accommodating and hard-working staff, clean and spacious rooms and, to top it all, high quality and delicious food. Absolutely to die for! We arrived on a Friday night and ordered the fish 'n chips from the menu. I am not exaggerating if I told you that it was perhaps the best fish and chips I've eaten in my life. Not one of us left any scraps on our plates... My husband and I were given the Heligan room which was well laid out, fitted with a plasma TV as well as copious amounts of tea and coffee to make at your discretion, comfortable beds, and a seating area to relax. The website provides a pretty accurate depiction of what to expect, so you will have no surprises there. Facing the estuary, we could indeed see the "rising sun" from our bed in the morning as well as savour the breathtaking views. We were fortunate enough to be blessed with sunny and mild weather despite this being November. Breakfast is cooked and served a la carte (you have about 5 different options) along with a buffet of bread, juices and fresh food. We had a fantastic three-course dinner for the wedding reception menu, which again was of the same high quality as everything else you will get served there. Let's put it this way, Gordon Ramsay would find it very difficult to fault the chef as the food is prepared to a really high standard. To sum up, this place ticks all the right boxes as it not only provides real added value for your money, but also a fantastic base to explore and enjoy the Cornish lifestyle. I would highly recommend this place and will no doubt stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2007