“Two star rating is being generous”
Review of The View Cafe

The View Cafe
Ranked #17 of 18 Restaurants in St Mawes
Price range: US$6 - US$14
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: View
Description: The View Cafe is on the harbourside in the Cornish fishing village of St Mawes. As it´s name suggests it boasts uninterupted views across the harbour and the Percuil River estuary.Open daily The View Cafe offers a variety of of light bites and lunches ranging from traditional Cornish Pasties to Fish & Chips. We also offer a wide variety of Sandwiches, Baguettes and Paninis, all of which are freshly prepared to order.
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Two star rating is being generous”
Reviewed 25 June 2013

This is our second visit to this cafe, and our experience was very different to the first time we went. One member of staff had to make the coffees, take the orders, clear the tables, deliver the orders and wash up the cups as she went along as they had run out. In the circumstances the poor waitress did very well but the owners should make sure they have enough staff to run the cafe. We queued for 15 minutes for 2 coffees and a sandwich and had to clear our own table. A group of motor cyclists arrived (approx. 8/10 potential customers) and after waiting 10 minutes left without ordering anything. A very poor show.

• Visited May 2013

Bath, United Kingdom
“Missed opportunity”
Reviewed 30 March 2013 via mobile

In an excellent location this cafe has the atmosphere of a train station. We only had teas and hot chocolates and wouldn't try this again. Probably the owner tried a minimalist style, but it looks and feel simply cheap. They also advertise with free wifi, which again is not worth to try (need to register for very slow network).

ShipandCastleHotel, General Manager at The View Cafe, responded to this review, 1 April 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry to read you didn't enjoy your visit, I suppose we can't please everyone. Its a shame you have focussed on the negatives from your viewpoint and only mentioned the décor, which receives more positive comments than bad and our WIFI, which is FREE and very easy to use, in fact its used by many guests and staff everyday!

No mention of the staff, value for money etc.. is disappointing, we shall continue our hard work.

Trowbridge, United Kingdom
“A chilly welcome”
Reviewed 12 March 2013 via mobile

Very disappointing and expensive, with poor service & bad attitude from the staff. When we went in, there was no member of staff present. I rang the bell on the counter but no-one came. When he eventually returned, I ordered a pot of tea for two and two toasted tea cakes. I was charged £8.20. The tea cakes were fine & were supplied with two pats of butter but no jam. The teapot contained just more than two small cups of tea.

The door was propped open, with the 2 degree C, 23 knot wind blowing in the door. Another customer asked the sole server if he could turn the heat on. He responded curtly that he couldn't do that, as it would heat the hotel above, as well. The customer protested that he had been in before when the heat had been on. The server rudely, loudly told him that when the hotel guests leave at 10am, they turn the heating off until the evening. It was bitterly cold in there!

I went back to order more tea, as one small cup was not enough. I was asked whether I wanted a pot for one or two. I said that I presumed he had given me a pot for one last time but I was told that no, that was a pot for two. I asked for another pot for two. I did not need milk, sugar or fresh cups, so I was charged £3.70 for the use of a tiny teapot, about half a pint of hot water & a tea bag. By contrast, later that day, I was charge £2.80 for a full sized teapot with three tea bags in it, in a warm tea room, with attentive staff. What a contrast.

All you can expect from The View is a cold welcome from a mean team. I shall not go back & I recommend you give it a wide berth. A great shame, as the location & view are wonderful.

ShipandCastleHotel, General Manager at The View Cafe, responded to this review, 13 March 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for sharing your opinion following a recent visit to our Cafe. It's a shame you didn't enjoy your visit, but I suppose we can't please everyone. I will ease the issues you mentioned with the team, however I would like to point out we are the cheapest Cafe/Tea rooms in St Mawes.

llandudno
“Cream tea”
Reviewed 5 March 2013

reasonably priced and massive scones, the staff were very good and efficient, the cafe was very clean and all prices were reasonable

Visited February 2013
ShipandCastleHotel, General Manager at The View Cafe, responded to this review, 6 March 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, I am pleased you enjoyed your visit.

We take pride in our Café product being of a high quality whilst being excellent value for money.

Manager
“A hidden gem with a beautiful view.”
Reviewed 25 February 2013 via mobile

Popped in to get out of the cold and was delighted by the service and the view. Ended up staying for a cream tea and a light lunch. The staff were so friendly and the service was excellent. Give it a go, you won't be disappointed.

ShipandCastleHotel, Manager at The View Cafe, responded to this review, 4 March 2013
Dear Reviewer, Thank you for your kind words complimenting us. The team will be pleased to read you found the service to be good, as well team being friendly. Hopefully you will be drawn back to see us again soon!