“Evening meal”
Review of The Idle Rocks

The Idle Rocks
Reserve with OpenTable
The Idle Rocks is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 18 Restaurants in St Mawes
Price range: US$50 - US$87
Cuisines: Seafood, Grill
Good for: View
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Idle Rocks has the most enviable location in St Mawes, overlooking the harbour with views across the River Fal to Falmouth. After a long day lazing on the beach, our south facing terrace is the perfect place to relax, have a long drink, and watch the world go by. You may even see your dinner being landed on the harbourside.The Idle Rock’s restaurant, run by our head chef, Guy Owen, is a celebration of Cornwall; showcasing a range of fabulous produce that has been sourced locally using only seasonal fresh ingredients. In many cases it will have been swimming right on our doorstep only a few hours earlier and while the food is of the very highest standard our setting is very relaxed.
Reviewed 26 April 2014

The whole building has undergone a major refit to the whole of the building and re-opened just two weeks ago. The decor etc was of a very high standard. The menu was differing in style to that of similar restaurants in the area but still most enjoyable.Idle Rocks has now become a member of Division One.Well worth trying.

1  Thank Tony L

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Whilst the food looks fantastic with two little ones in tow we couldn't manage to eat there this time sadly. However, we were very impressed as the waiter said that catering for my wife, who is vegan would be absolutely no problem and that they have soy milk as standard. Definitely added to our to do list for a child free long weekend - though the comments on the hotel make it sound incredibly kid friendly. We had a lovely drink on the sub drenched terrace with ever so friendly staff who were happy to lend Thomas, our two and a half year old a bucket for fifteen minutes even though we weren't residents. The decor is beautiful and very Living etc... White washed and beautiful wood and upholstery

Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

As a regular visitor to St Mawes with our family having a holiday home in this lovely village, I visited The Idle Rocks when they first re-opened last year and fell in love with the view from the terrace and the beautiful decor. The service then was inconsistent and the staff clearly needed further training but were polite and could be forgiven for any "teething problems".

On my latest visit I was very much looking forward to a glass of wine on the terrace in the sunshine. Upon entering the hotel I was met by a gentleman who asked my purpose there, when I told him I would like a drink, I was swiftly told they were having a "soft re-opening" after the storm damage and they were very busy, I would need to book a table and he'd be happy to take my booking for later in the evening. Whilst he remained polite, his manner was rather dismissive and condescending.

I decided not to book a table and promptly left observing the completely empty terrace after my departure.

I find it rather concerning the hotel feels they cannot cope with a party of two during the late afternoon lull between lunch and dinner services and will not be visiting there again.

I will continue to visit the Hotel Tresanton where the service is exceptional and exudes class and style no amount of refurbishment can match.

4  Thank Simplicity2885
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I had been to the previously owned idle rocks, so I was looking forward to seeing how it had been updated, decor is very trendy, whitewashed panels and staff with deck shoes.

When we entered the restaurant we were the first table, with a room full of tables with wonderful views of St Mawes we were shown to one of three tables that had no view whatsoever and promptly told, the tables with views are for residents only. Whilst this in itself is not uncommon practise I would have hoped common sense would have prevailed as we were the only table and as we left there was only another three tables occupied.

Unfortunately the service is sporadic with the waitress having to ask who had what, the menu itself has promise.

I am sure they will get there in the end, but for now, definitely a work in progress.

5  Thank Gavin19
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Re-opened post storm damage and with fresh energy. Restaurant manager was fantastic host and added great tonic to our mixed aged group of nine over lunch. Food is to the standard one had previously hoped but not quite seen - imaginative menu and well executed. Highly recommend.