“Bizarre place”

Camelot Castle Hotel Bar
Ranked #14 of 20 things to do in Tintagel
Reviewed 23 October 2013

It's hard to describe what is so bizarre about this place. From the outside you get excited because it is picturesque and its where they filmed some of Roahl Dahl's The Witches, but inside there is this this weird cultish feeling, staff asked us 'are we friends of the owner' in knowing tones, and all around there were staff in intense talks with customers, we overheard 'donations' and 'the cause' and tried to avoid getting trapped ourselves. Nevertheless we had a coffee in the tea room, but I drank my drink so fast as I couldn't wait to leave, the place had such an odd feeling, plus the tea room had an overwhelming stench of fish that a customer was eating.

5  Thank Nicole J

Reviewed 8 October 2013

An ideal place to meet travelers from all parts of the UK and abroad - clean, comfortable and relaxing part of the world.

1  Thank Keene003
Reviewed 4 August 2013

My husband and I visited here in search of a cream tea. The explorers tea room has its own entrance to the side of the building and on arrival we were invited to select a table. The only view from this cliff side location was from one bay window crammed with other guests and even then it lacked a direct sea view - a little disappointing!
When we asked if they could do a high tea with scones and sandwiches etc we were told that the kitchen had stopped serving ten minutes ago and we could only have scones. A little odd given that this is a hotel and presumably the kitchens stay open? Anyways the 2 scones we had each and tea for two were ok but certainly didn't warrant the cost of £7.50 EACH!
When I asked if I could access their wifi briefly to just check my emails I was told it was for guests only and an access pass would cost me £15 - despite the fact I only wanted to use it briefly.
Finally this entire hotel is apparently owned by an artist - you wouldn't know it to look at the interior - clashing overdone interiors which are apparently in keeping with a Camelot theme - more like a Russian boudoir. The artist fills the walls with his art - this just adds to the confused cacophony of colours.
Overall- overpriced, poor customer service and not worth a visit.

8  Thank Natalie G
Reviewed 15 May 2013

We stopped for lunch in the middle of a gail. Despite the storm, the view of the surrounding countryside is stunning and worth the stop all by itself. The food we had was reasonably priced and more importantly- excellent. The bar is very comfortable an elegant yet homey feel to it. The hotel is opulently and meticulously decorated. It has an abundance of the artist in residence' paintings which add to the grandeur of the property. We did not stay here on this visit but will consider it on future visits to Cornwall.

2  Thank JohnLLMc
Reviewed 24 April 2013

Having opted for a different hotel my partner and I decided to visit Camelot Castle Hotel to see where we could've stayed. We were served a splendid latte by a friendly eastern European man and talk soon moved to the world of the arts. He asked us if we would like to meet the artist in residence which of course we did having viewed the various photos, paintings and sculptures on the ground floor of the hotel....

Ted Stourton was positively charming. We'd read and heard about the Light Box but nothing could have prepared us for the joy of Teds guided tour, the musical interlude or gift of art he bestowed upon us....we came away richer for the experience, and would sum Ted up as a talented and generous man. Thank you Ted for choosing to share your artistic energy with the world.

3  Thank Claudine C