“Unique experience” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Tintagel
London, United Kingdom
“Unique experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

I stayed at Camelot on a few occasions and found the whole experience fun and interesting. The owners and all the staff are like the cast of a movie , the place is like being invited to their home at the price of a travelodge. We were taken on secret walks and tours and this more than made up for the hotel services. As I stated its the price of a Travelodge but like staying in a castle with John and Irene and Ted . The kids were also happy to try to remove the Sword from the stone in the car park as I loaded and headed on our way to our rented cottage in a remote area wishing I had a room for a week instead of a night... Travelodge may have sheets, vending machines , towels and clean rooms then go there, Camelot Castle is adventure with character and your hosts never forget to send a xmas card....Loved it.....

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Rusty E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
Northampton, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

This seems to be a very contentious hotel to review. Some of the reviewers seem determined either to praise or ridicule the place and having stayed three days I do not see the point in doing either.

Ok - On the positive side, the hotel is dramatic, interesting and an experience. The building is architecturally fascinating and in a fantastic location on the cliff top. It is walking distance from Tintagel. The dining is good to very good, the staff uniformly pleasant and courteous and there are manby items of interest scattered about the place.

On the negative side, the owners are clearly a little unusual and this tends to come out bit by bit during any stay. Ted Stourtons artwork adorns the walls. All of them. That alone lets you begin to form an opinion, and without discussing his talent or ability, the fact that even the bedrooms have Ted Stourton originals hanging in them in place of the usual contemporary or classic landscapes gives a flavour. And some of the canvasses are big. Really, really big. Then there are few other "oddities", like the owners cars parked across the entrance at all times. I believe the singing played through breakfast and dinner is them again. I again restrain from giving my opinion of the quality. The only other real nagative is the ensuite bathrooms, which are bad enough to be laughable. Luckily I have a sense of humour and didn't mind - it gave a great story to tell, but I would not have been happy if I had paid £50+ per night for the room.

Finally, there is the Scientology link. Having found out about this (after arriving, not before) I was frankly disappointed not to be approached for conversion or at least education. I have no doubt the link is real, the many photos of famous scientologists in reception provide evidence of that, but it in no way reflects badly on the hotel. In my opinion.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

I booked this hotel for mine and my husband's 40th wedding anniversary, we know the area well and had previously had drinks at the Camelot Castle Hotel and at the time were suitably impressed with the ambience of the place and friendliness of the staff. Having booked several weeks in advance it gave us the opportunity to study the reviews quite thoroughly, we almost cancelled, but we are so pleased we did not. Our family also booked in for the occasion and we all agreed what a great stay we had had. The welcome was warm we were also given an free upgrade of a sea view, the rooms, beds, and bathrooms were clean, the breakfast was 1st class as good if not better than anywhere we have been, hot and beautifully presented with excellent Service. The family meal we had in the restaurant was so good the food was well cooked and imaginative, the service second to none. To top it off for us was the visiting Harpist John Dalton, his beautiful playing added to the ambience along with the huge beautifully decorated Christmas trees. We felt so relaxed sitting by the many roaring log fires there were no restrictions you could eat and drink where ever you wished and the staff were so attentive, Make your own mind up on this hotel it is so much better than the soulless hotels we have come to expect these days, we had a memorable three night stay, and a truly memorable 40th wedding anniversary.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Ruralknight1
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

Myself and a number of family members traveled to Cornwall to celebrate my parents Ruby Anniversary but after reading several negative reviews we were concerned that we had made a mistake and considered moving location.
However after spending a long weekend as guests of Camelot we all agreed that the level of service we received was excellent and although it is fair to say that the hotel is a little unusual we had a fabulous time together and feel the wonderful environment and dramatic location are well worth the visit. We found the food that was served was extremely well cooked and presented and considering the wonderful surroundings good value also.

The Staff were warn, friendly and helpful so thank you all for making my parents special weekend such a memorable one. Just for the record I do not subscribe to the Scientology Philosophy and I have no prior connection with the Hotel. I found the place interesting, the staff charming and the food excellent. Huge thanks to all

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Russell K
London, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

We were travelling with our family and stayed for two nights which was sufficient. The staff were very attentive and friendly but the rest of the stay was weird to say the least. I did not book this hotel for myself and would have certainly avoided it if I had. The setting is wonderful but the Hotel shows extremely poor value for money. The rooms are quite simply the worst I have stayed in for years. Dated and badly equipped with pod bathrooms that I have only experienced in the cheapest of accomodation. Not what I would have expected for this amount of money. The owners art on the wall was overwhelming. This could be a beautiful place to stay but the owners need to spend a serious amount of money on it to bring it into the 21st Century. I am disturbed about the information available about this hotel on line and would urge anyone wishing to research it thoroughly.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
15 Thank Niki H

Travellers are raving about these Tintagel hotels

prixjam devon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

Thank you Camelot for the most wonderful and magical weekend in your hotel! Friendly and helpful staff who went above and beyond...the most magical room with comfortable four poster, luxuriously comfortable surroundings and harp playing til mid-night...when can I come again??!!! :)

• Stayed December 2013
Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

I brought my partner there for her birthday as it was a place she has always wanted to go, after a very long day driving we arrived late and the castle was all lit up, it looked amazing.l whent to book in and we had been given a room upgrade, it was such a lovely room the bed was most comfortable I didn't want to get up. the bathroom was lovely aswell. And the staff were polite and a credit to the owners l can't wait to go back

• Stayed November 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tintagel
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
The Longcross Hotel & Gardens
Bossiney House Hotel
Bossiney House Hotel
#3 of 6 in Tintagel

Been to Camelot Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!