“Great Dog friendly hotel- and a bit different”

Camelot Castle Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Tintagel
Reviewed 3 January 2014

it is a pity we can't have a 'good' category between average and very good. above average staff, location, people and food (breakfast) Our room was not so great but it was clean and we had a great sea view. Would we go back? maybe, should you visit and try the place? definitely! It is bonkers but that is what we like.

1  Thank JTMalmesbury

Reviewed 2 January 2014

My wife and I visited for a New Years eve three night stay. We too almost cancelled and at one point were looking for any excuse to do so. This was entirely down to the negative reviews we had read running the hotel and its owners & staff down.

We arrived on Monday (late morning)and were told our room was not yet available as it was still being prepared. We were offered drinks while we waited but we decided to visit the village. We had an over priced baguette in a pub somewhere and wished we had stayed at the hotel instead.

We were given a mini tour of the facilities and were then "told" where our room was. Yes we were not escorted to our room, however we were told that we could change rooms if we wished to do so. In the event we opted to stay put as we were on the 3rd floor where the views of the ruins and coastline were spectacular and we thought it would be quiet if we wanted to get away from potentially noisy celebrations - this proved to be useful as my wife had a bad headache on New Year's eve so went to bed early and was able to rest quietly.

Our only problem during our stay was only discovered when we went to bed as for some inexplicable reason the mattress was very wet on one side. My wife went to the reception to ask for help and immediately we were offered a replacement room with profuse apologies. In the end, as we had unpacked already, we decided to take up the alternative offer of replacement mattress and bedding which was personally taken care of by the Duty Manager and an assistant.

Breakfast was disappointing as the eggs were fried and solid as part of a serve yourself buffet. I think that if orders were taken as residents arrived the standards would have been as good as the evenings. I resorted to bacon toasties which were delicious.

Evening meals were exceptionally good and were easily on par with anything we have experienced anywhere else on our travels around the World.

We did not at any time experience anything but warm smiles and a general desire to provide us with a wonderful stay.

True the public areas were a little shabby in places like the gent's toilets but I think the general character of the place was spot on for a very old building. We have stayed in places in London overlooking the Palace and they were equally "shabby" and the rooms cramped with old style furniture and one particular place was a seriously expensive place to stay with no better standards than Camelot - except maybe the toilets, did I mention those?

We will definitely be staying again and we will be much more relaxed as we don't plan to take our dog on a return visit. She was just too keen to meet all her new friends all the time!

In relation to our wet bedding upon checking out my wife asked for a reduction in price and was rewarded with 10% off our bill. Sadly we didn't get an opportunity to view Ted Stourton's studio or the famous light box but hope to do so upon our return.

Don't cancel, give it a go and tell the staff if you are not happy as they will make things right for you as they did for us!

1  Thank Ian M
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I booked my husband and I a three night stay over new year. After fully reading the very mixed reviews and researching further on the internet, we were so worried, we nearly cancelled. We didn't though and I'm glad.
The place is beautiful and spacious. The rooms aren't huge, but ours was certainly large enough with an ample bathroom and storage. When we checked in, we were told if we weren't happy with our allocated room, we could look at some others and choose which one we wanted.
Irina's restaurant provided beautiful evening meals.
No one tried to sell us art or Scientology.
On the down side, breakfast was an overcooked buffet with solid rubber eggs - disappointing considering the evening fayre on offer. Tea and coffee in the restaurant were also dire, but much nicer in the coffee lounge (of course you pay for it there!)
To sum up I would say the accommodation is average and slightly overpriced, but if you want a relaxing break in unique surroundings with a friendly, helpful staff and excellent dinner, this is a good place to choose.
Go. Judge for yourself, I suspect there us a very negative hate campaign being propagated against this place for some reason that was not obvious to us,

Reviewed 1 January 2014

This was our second visit and although we thoroughly enjoyed everything on the first break, we had the 'pod' bathroom but we also had a huge 4 poster bed. This time we had one of the top floor bedrooms with a new refurbished en-suite bathroom. The 3 day break was wonderful, from the accommodation, meals, staff, and location. We think it is very good value for money.

I've read some of the less favourable reviews and yes there are areas that could be tweaked but generally if you don't come away, relaxed, having enjoyed the stay then I'm not sure what you are looking for?

Reviewed 31 December 2013

The location is stunning and the walks are great along the Tintagel coast. We visited this hotel as they were dog friendly. However, there ends the positive points. The hotel is run down and looks ugly - the marketing of the hotel could not be more misleading. I would not recommend my friends to stay here.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank prassi123
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I've just returned from 3 days at the Castle. It was well worth it, especially to be right on the cliff overlooking such a stunning coast. Once I'd booked I started reading the reviews and got rather nervous about the trip - it was a special treat for my oldest son who is a King Arthur fan. But in the end it was well worth staying there.

Our rooms - For what it cost us we had two most suitable single rooms; tidy, clean, very comfortable beds, tea /coffee facilities, fresh towels each day, t.v., and yes 'pod' bathrooms which would be difficult if you were a 'large' person!. My view was stunning.

The decor and public rooms - The lift worked, the main rooms downstairs were beautiful, lovely Christmas trees, candles and lit open fires. I admit the art work - everywhere - absolutely everywhere - isn't to my taste, at all, and seemed incongruous. The hotel could be decorated gloriously, it has the architecture to support it. The bar is comfy and cosy at the same time as being big enough to not feel crowded. There are plenty of comfy sofas.

Eating - The dinning room looks wonderfully out to sea and is spacious. We only had the breakfast but it was a full english if wanted, and buffet of - fruit salad, yogurt, toast, croissant, cereal, juice, tea/coffee/hot chocolate. There were always plenty of staff around and all the staff we met whether English or Polish (quite a lot of them seemed to be Polish and were lovely) were friendly, competent, did all they could to help and seemed genuinely thoughtful. My son had one evening meal in the bar and it was a good quality Carbonara and delicious chocolate pudding.

As you arrive at the entrance to the car park there is a sign saying 'best coffee in Cornwall', that is really not accurate - as a coffee freak I would know! The posh car parked at the entrance was in the way so no one could get close, I saw a couple of older people needing to be helped to their cars with their luggage, it was the only thing which seemed rather thoughtless, to leave it there, especially as there was a terribly wild storm blowing, apparently it had been there for 3 months.
It is eccentric as hotels go, the mass of photos of the owner and all the film stars (who cares really, all you want is to be well looked after and treated kindly). The art work, the rather odd Camelot News Magazine with it's conspiracy theories etc. But all the necessary stuff needed for a comfortable stay, in a stunning setting, was right there. I'd recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 30 December 2013

This was visit number 6 for us so something must be right. The welcome we received from the recption staff was wonderful, in fact everyone was really helpful, as both my mother and myself have our difficulties.

Our room was absolutly wonderful beautiful views and all the facilities you would expect from a hotel like this and more.

I have left the food until this moment because it is fantastic why not go and sample it for yourself, trust me the food is out of this world.

We are now looking forward to visit number 7 next year

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tintagel
Atlantic View Hotel
#1 of 9 in St Austell
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate

Been to Camelot Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!