“Great pub, awful kitchen.”
Review of Port William Inn

Port William Inn
Ranked #4 of 24 Tintagel B&B and Inns
London
“Great pub, awful kitchen.”
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

We spent a week in Trebarwith Strand and often found ourselves in The Port William Inn. It's a lovely pub with fantastic views over the bay, the one thing that lets this place down is the kitchen. We ate there 3 times (there's not a lot of choice in Trebarwith Strand) and every time we were there we either had a problem with our food or heard other people complaining about there's. On the first night I heard a lady complain that her cod and chips was still frozen in the middle. The second night my fiancé ordered curry and instead of mango chutney it came with salsa (they had ran out of mango chutney and instead of telling us, they just threw some salsa on instead) and I had mussels, half of which we're closed and had gone a little bad. On the third night I had crab cakes which were small, overdone and felt like they'd come straight from a freezer (basically they tasted like coasters). We also sat there with our food in front us for a good 3 minutes with no cutlery, in the end I had to go find some myself. Even when we weren't eating there, we heard apologies from the bar staff about mistakes being made in the kitchen.

Like I say, it's a lovely pub and the front of house staff were fantastic, but better kitchen staff would mean that the bar team wouldn't have to keep say "I'm sorry" so much.

2 Thank George D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 30 July 2014

The setting is wonderful. Lovely bay..lots of people watching. The food was not even good quality pub food. Pass. We did not stay at the inn. We were here only to eat at the pub. I had the fish pie...mostly mashes potatoes with overdone fish. Did not eat. My husband had crab cakes...inedible. When we had to use the point of sale device it was disgustingly dirty..afraid to put in the pin code.

4 Thank Marianne C
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We recently stayed at the Port William Inn for 3 nights....we (my wife, my dog and I) were made very welcome on arrival and shown to our room (room 7) by one of the bar staff...who was very friendly and polite. The room was decent size, nice comfy bed and above all a very clean. The view from our window was amazing and we never tired of looking at it. Breakfast each morning had enough choice and the hot offerings on the menu were very nice and set you up for the day. Parking for the hotel is not exclusive to hotel guests and depending on what time you arrive it can be a struggle to park close to the hotel. I must admit we did not have any issues with the Port William food service and quality during our stay (ate 3 evening meals here aswell) but getting served at the bar was a bit hit and miss...Its not fair to tar all bar staff with the same brush, as some most of them were very friendly and did there best during busy times.....although there were some staff who clearly were not trained in customer service and communication with other humans !!...If they only listened to the order (which was only two drinks at a time) this would go a long way to not annoying customers and giving the impression of being out of control all the time....when ordering food at the bar..some (obviously already annoyed staff) took great pleasure in telling you "theres a 45mins wait for food !" only for it to arrive at the table in 15mins...somewhat of a disconnect with the Kitchens..perhaps take orders at the tables and take the pressure off the bar staff...just an idea.......dont get me wrong we had a great time here....but sometimes is the little touches , like everyone being polite and professional that makes it brilliant !

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here in july. Great veiws, amazing staff and beautiful food..
You can see they have new staff on as they are quiet shy but get talking to them and they are lovely people.. no wait on food even wen the pub was heaving. Will defo b back

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

At a glance looks very nice but wow was we so wrong took ages to order food we rodent mind however when it arived over an hour later we were shocked burnt burger cold chips and ws for the catch of the day pie no fish that we could see and cold it was disgusting but even worse as we were sat outside waiting for our dinner we could see chefs outside huddled together smoking shouting and swearing one short guy in white refered.to the customers as bloody emmits we left without eating our food no refund offered just a girl grinning ad we tried to complain she said its always the same. Come on sort this place out the views are stunning.

• Stayed July 2014
8 Thank paula4421
banbury
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Beautifully situated and just by its incredible location has managed to score some points but having been going to the Port William for ten years with my husband and this was the second time I have been on my own I was desperately disapointed with the customer service received this time.
I appreciate that it is very busy at this time of year but as a resident I felt like a second class citizen. The original owners Larry and Sue must have left, and their replacements were totally hapless. No one seemed to know who was responsible for checking in, and consequently I had to wait until 5 pm to be allowed to my room. Normally residents are reserved a table automatically but when I came down for supper this hadn't happened and no effort was made to find me one. Having come down at seven I didn't get a meal until quarter to nine. Exactly the same thing happend on my second night even though I requested that they reserved me a table.
The whole area was noisy and the staff were boorish. I swore that if I was called "Darlin'" one more time I would swing at someone. They were all far more concerned about standing in a huddle having a fag than looking after their customers.
It is such a shame as before the brewery took over it really was such a delightful place and one that I recommended to many friends. I certainly will not be doing so in the future.

Room Tip: As all the rooms are sea facing they also are right next to the very busy track. Dustbin truck at 6...