Red Lion Hotel
Durrant House(Bideford)
  • Pool
The Royal Hotel(Bideford)
View Hotel
All reviewssail loftland roverharbour wallsnug barcobbled streetssteep roadsmall harbourday trippersvisited clovellybeautiful villageamazing locationbar mealsthe main hotelbedroom windowunderfloor heatinghotel restaurantbeautiful room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Sadly I am not sure why I have read so many negative reviews recently. We stayed at the hotel in late June and had a wonderful experience which has promoted me to write a review now.

We had a fantastic stay in the hotel and loved every minute. The service is relaxed and friendly, as one would expect from a country hotel and the rooms are beautiful in a stunning setting with views over the sea. Our room was immaculate and the bar and restaurant were quaint.

I would highly recommend this hotel for a relaxed trip away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. The staff were all delightful and I will definitely be back to stay at the Red Lion again in the future.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
nickW27, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2014

Thanks for writing your review, everyone has their own view point and we welcome, and take on board, all reviews both good and bad. We all strive to deliver the best experience to all our guest both residential and day visitors. I hope to welcome you back again soon

Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

Had such a lovely stay at the Red
Lion. Staff really friendly. Service was great. Food was nice. Really pleased that we stayed here really want to come back again soon! Rooms newly done and very clean. Thank you so much for our stay. Been telling everyone about how amazing our little break was.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Clarrie11

Thank you for your review. We really appreciate you taking the time.I'm delighted you liked our stylish, beautifully appointed rooms did you know they all enjoy either a sea or harbour view and are beautifully decorated with a stylish nautical theme, reflecting Clovelly’s age-old maritime tradition.
I hope to be bale to welcome you back again soon

Reviewed 28 August 2014

The location is stunning the food was rubbish. The staff were too busy talking about affairs the other staff were having . Never ever again need i say more which is a shame as i come every year getting worse for the amount it costs .

• Stayed: August 2014
4  Thank razzlequeen
nickW27, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2014

We always aim to deliver the best possible service and a high quality of food at a reasonable price, in what are the most beautiful surroundings. We take all our customer feedback very seriously and would always ask anyone who is not happy with the service to come and talk to me or one of my colleagues as we would endeavor to rectify any shortcomings we may have had for you on the day. We don't always get it right, and tend to admit if we have got it wrong, in this case it is difficult to comment as I would like more information. I would ask you to contact me directly as I would like to try and understand more where your experience was below our usual high standards.
many thanks

Reviewed 27 August 2014

Upon arrival the receptionist was very friendly, sadly the hotel is grubby and although the room was OK, the bathroom was not so good. Most parts of the hotel were dirty and the bar in particular was awful, sticky tables, floor and bar top. The meal was superb, with excellent service but this was let down by the dirty state of the dining room, pretty much like the rest of the hotel

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank David M

I'm sorry you felt the hotel was "grubby" I can only assume you are refuting to the carpets in the reception and restaurant areas. These do get cleaned twice a year, however the restaurant one particullay has become stained over the years and is on the list for refurbishment. We take great pride in the Red Lion and ensure it is kept very clean.
The bars at this time of year are very very busy and whilst we have clearing teams on all day everyday we sometimes become overwhelmed by the volume of guests and day visitors. as I stated in another review over this period we didn't cope well over this week but have now sorted the issues.

Reviewed 27 August 2014

Have been to Clovelly several times over the years for day trip. Can't comment on the rooms, as we have never stayed. However, always look forward to the walk down to the harbour and something to eat at the Red Lion. Oh how wrong we were yesterday. The pub area itself was dirty, the staff made you feel like an inconvenience to have you there! Absolutely no welcome or atmosphere. Two bar staff on duty (miserable) and a girl serving. As we enjoy the location we decided to order food. Two fish and chips (not cod), half lemonade and pint of orange cordial (no fresh juice) costing £25.50. The alternative and only alternative was pasty and chips! Fairly reasonable cost but the food, flat lemonade and flies in the vinegar jar-disgusting. We asked twice for our table to be cleared from the previous guests - twenty minutes later, the table still not cleared! Not a nice experience and will not return to the Red Lion. Seriously needs a deep clean, improved menu with local produce and staff training! A fantastic property in a fantastic location going to ruin.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank James B

I really want to thank you for writing this review. I want to hold my hand up and say we got this wrong! Its my first season at Clovelly and I ordered vinegar bottles without closed tops (these have all been replaced) . We sell the most amazing fresh fruit drinks made in Devon, we also have fresh orange juice and J2o's so I'm not sure what is mean by your comment relating to the drinks. We sold over 200 lunches each day the week you visited and whilst we did our best to keep the area clean we didn't manage all the time. Because of this we have change systems that has helped the team keep the areas much tidier.
I hope you will not let this stop you from visiting again, as we didn't deliver the true Clovelly spirit on this occasion and we are truly sorry for that.