“Absolutely better than expected”
Review of Clovelly Village

Clovelly Village
Ranked #2 of 11 things to do in Clovelly
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Clovelly, North Devon. World famous for our cobbled, traffic-free street, donkeys, sledges and historic harbour. The stunning views, peaceful tranquility and cobbled, traffic-free, high street of this world famous fishing village, built into a cleft in a 400' high cliff, tumbles its way down past whitewashed cottages festooned with flowers to the tiny working port. It is famous for its donkeys, which traditionally carry goods up the hill; sledges bring things down. There are links with Charles Kingsley, Turner, Dickens and the Spanish Armada.
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Wow. My folks had enjoyed this place decades ago. Now it was my turn to visit. Unlike other places they had raved about (and had disappointed us to varying degrees), Clovelly was much, much better than we imagined.
My other half and I were driving from Bath to Port Isaac and Clovelly was to be our sight seeing activity on the way. We had researched it and knew that you had to park at the top and pay - so that wasn't a problem. I must say that is seems to be a good idea, because Clovelly is kept so well. However, in saying that - the top part, where you buy your tickets is not a place to spend much time. It is far too commercial. We just bought our tickets and scampered through - down to the real attraction - the village.

My tip would be to take your time on the way down and have a good look around. Don't be in a hurry to get to the bottom.... the real joy to this place is in admiring the quaint houses and side lanes on the way down. Actually, there is no way you can hurry going down, the cobblestones are absolute killers. I have never seen such cobbly cobbles. You need good comfortable shoes and just take tiny steps. I knew Clovelly was steep - but they weren't kidding - it was steeper than I imagined. Don't be put off though. On the way down, I was a bit worried about getting back up.... but for some reason it is easier and quicker to walk up, than it is to totter down.

Everything is cute. The donkeys (in the past they would have had a hard life pulling things up the hill - these days all they do is pose for photos with tourists - you need to pay a little towards their upkeep)... the gardens are cute, the houses are cute... the view is gorgeous.... you want to take a photo of everything... a local cat is sitting in the sun... you need to take it's photo.... it is that kind of place... infectious. You get envious. You want to live there... Just take loads of photos and soak up the atmosphere.

The harbour is nice to sit and have a coffee or a snack. The tide was out when we were there, so lots of fishing boats on the pebbly shores make for more great photos.

When you wander back up the hill, make sure you go to the tiny little Chapel and also have a look in the museums. It all makes for good viewing. Explore the little lane ways and just enjoy.

I was really sorry to leave Clovelly - it had been a great outing and I would recommend it to all - except if you have a problem walking, this is not the place for you. But there are lots of seats, and low walls around the place - so you can rest and then move on again.
Otherwise - I don't think anyone would be disappointed in a visit to Clovelly Village. Just gorgeous (except for the commercial entrance way - but just ignore that).

Reviewed 16 August 2014

We have been to Clovelly many times over the years , so this year we thought we would take the Grandchildren and their parents . To our surprise we had to pay to see the village and it was not cheap we paid about £30 for 4 adults and two children - there were no concessions for OAP's or for Children . As always the village did not disappoint neither did the cream teas which we needed after the climb up and down to the village .

Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Whilst on holiday we asked for recommendations for places to visit. Someone recommend Clovelly village.

We arrived not knowing what to expect and we were stunned by the beauty of the place.

We made a slow descent to the start of the main street, once we turned the corner to see the main street running down to the harbour I fell in love with the place.

The houses are beautiful, historic and atmospheric. The gardens were all stunning and beautifully maintained.

There are plenty of side streets to explore, with two small chapels, a fisherman's cottage and Charles Kingsley's study to visit.

We took it steady going down asit is very steep. We stopped for an ice-cream and sat and looked out to sea. There are plenty of resting pointa and vistas to admire whilst you rest.

We walked around the harbour wall and watched the boats. Whilst it was busy, somehow it felt very quiet and private.

I must admit it was with some trepidation that we started the climb back up - surprisingly it was easier going upvthan it was coming down!

We stopped off at the cafe for sandwiches which were freshly made and the service was superb.

There are plenty of gift shops, galleries, cafés, pubs and ice-cream places within the village.

Finally at the top we visited the pottery and silk shop. The man in the silk shop was so friendly and chatty. He had lots of entertaining stories.

I have fallen in love with Clovelly and will visit again!

1  Thank Alexandra C
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

What a wonderful day we had. A big thank you to the gentleman in the silk shop for kindly giving us a pencil so that my daughter could complete the questionnaire. Well worth a visit

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Now we`re back in Germany and we want to say thanks to JOAN for her very lovely service to store our rucksack and helmets during visit this beautiful village.