“Lovely village”

Clovelly Village
Ranked #3 of 12 things to do in Clovelly
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Clovelly, North Devon. World famous for our cobbled, traffic-free street, donkeys, sledges and historic harbour. The stunning views, peaceful tranquility and cobbled, traffic-free, high street of this world famous fishing village, built into a cleft in a 400' high cliff, tumbles its way down past whitewashed cottages festooned with flowers to the tiny working port. It is famous for its donkeys, which traditionally carry goods up the hill; sledges bring things down. There are links with Charles Kingsley, Turner, Dickens and the Spanish Armada.
Reviewed 13 August 2018

We had not visited the village for years but decided to take our granddaughters to see it. We were very surprised when we got there that we had to pay and found it very expensive for three adults and two children. In fact, it was the most expensive place we visited during the whole holiday with no concessions for children or pensioners. Having said that, there was a film that explained all about the village in the visitor centre which was very interesting. There was also a restaurant and gift shop. We enjoyed the walk down the steep, cobbled streets to the picturesque harbour and looked at the quaint houses. We were annoyed at some visitors with dogs who just allowed them to foul the footpaths and so had to make sure the children did not walk in it. You could take a land rover lift to the harbour but there was an additional charge for this. We enjoyed our visit but the price of entry would put us off going there again.

1  Thank haphol12
Write a ReviewReviews (2,111)
All reviews
in 47 reviews
"take your time"
in 33 reviews

Reviewed 13 August 2018

A lovely day out - definitely worth the money. Everyone very friendly. Beautiful scenery with stunning views.

Reviewed 13 August 2018

Stunning Cornish village, re-imagined in 1912 by the lady of the manor. The restoration of old fishing cottages has resulted in almost a fantasy village - you can clearly see all the original cottages and inns, but there's also a fascinating imaginative redo that's created something that reminded me a little of Portmeirion in Wales. Yes it's steep, and I'm glad it was dry, so you need the right footwear - just don't wear flip flops.

I've seen some complaints about the charges (£7.50 per adult) but frankly I wonder what people expect these days. It's a privately-owned village, and takes a lot of looking after. Think of it as similar to a National Trust Property - you get a lot out of it!

The video is well-worth watching, and the visitor centre is well-designed. Have a drink in the pub - prices were normal, and it broke up the uphill climb.

Reviewed 13 August 2018 via mobile

We’ve visited clovelly a few times now. The views are stunning, staff and residents are really friendly. Great value for money and lovely little place to visit. Highly recommended.

Date of experience: July 2018
See more reviews
Reviewed 12 August 2018

I first visited Clovelly as a child, probably 45 years ago. As I recall, we would park at the top - as now - and parking was quite expensive, but it was free to go into the town itself. It was one of my favourite places to visit and I loved spending my holiday pocket money in the little shops and tea shops which used to line the main thoroughfare.

In response to another review on here, the PR manager said that very little has changed in hundreds of years, but I would say the addition of the visitor centre and charging to enter the village is a very big change. It seems to have turned the town into a museum. And it is true that the souvenir shop is particularly tacky, selling bog-standard mass-produced items available all over Devon and Cornwall.

The cream tea I had in a café towards the bottom was very mediocre. As a Devon girl myself, I expected more - but sadly the best cream teas these days seem to come from Cornwall!!!

The feeling I had as I walked down to the bottom and up again was that it was full of tourists wondering what on earth they were there for. The same was true of my own family - they couldn't understand why I had dragged them there. The village is still very pretty and unique and it was good to see it again for old time's sake but I shan't be rushing back, I'm afraid.

6  Thank Jo E