“Well cooked simple fish dishes”

The Seahorse Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 92 Restaurants in Dartmouth
Cuisines: Seafood, European, British
Good for: View, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Stroud, United Kingdom
“Well cooked simple fish dishes”
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Great food and really great service in this unpretentious but quality restaurant. The scallops were fantastic as was the sea bass. We enjoyed some good wine and champagne too. Not a cheap evening out but very enjoyable.

Visited July 2014

Goudhurst, United Kingdom
“Fab”
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

We cannot recommend the Seahorse enough. This is the fourth year we have been, even if this my first review on trip advisor. The food is really delicious (fresh, lovely, well presented), the decor is classy and intimate (varnished wood and inviting yellow leather) with friendly and helpful service. Hard to beat, anywhere in the world. Tonight, exquisite salted cod amuse bouche, marvellous fried artichoke, lobster and vanilla ice cream with Pedro Ximenez. Just great !

Visited July 2014
Glasgow, Scotland
“Loved it”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Has been described as pricey, but it's a very classy fish restaurant. What do you expect? We had a fabulous meal.

• Visited June 2014
“Fish at its best”
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

The joy of visiting the Seahorse is to experience extremely well balanced fish dishes that major on quality of ingredients and often char grill cooking. We regularly stay in Dartmouth and since we had a child, a visit to the Seahorse for a special lunch is usually our treat (many restaurants in Dartmouth don't accept children under 7). Young sir (3 yr old) had some stunning, garlicky mussels, whilst my wife had octopus salad followed by hake, and I had chicken livers followed by Dover sole.
The stand out dish was my wife's hake, which was just perfect, full of flavour, and with roasted garlic in it. My Dover sole was also great - very simply cooked, and all the better for that. Chicken livers were lovely but large and very rich, making me wish I'd stuck to the plan and ordered a fish starter too. And it's worth mentioning the appetiser too - a stunning salt cod piece which all 3 of us loved.
The wine was excellent, and the service was just right - friendly without being lax in any way, not stuffy at all. Again, 3 year old was given a little set of cards and crayons, and also treated to a bowl of strawberries after his food, which left us free to enjoy finishing ours. (I don't want to put anyone off who's reading this review - the Seahorse isn't overrun with kids! Only ever seen one or two well behaved ones at a time, at lunch).
Will definitely be back again.

Cardiff, Wales
“A Strange Experience All Round!”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We have eaten at the Sea Horse on a number of occasions, all of which have been relatively enjoyable, but on this occasion was very different. On entering the restaurant, there was no smile of greeting or welcome. The lack of ambience and muted atmosphere continued as the meal progressed. I almost had the impression that all of the staff had just been made redundant and the place was about to close down. There was no real welcome and definitely no atmosphere whatsoever from the time we entered the restaurant until we left. None of the staff were seen to communicate with each other, including the chefs, just miserable faces and definitely no smiles or interaction whatsoever. I needed to keep in touch with home by phone and asked if the restaurant had a wi fi code I could access. I was told that staff do not give out any codes for wi fi. There were cards on the table with what appeared to be cocktail drinks, but these were removed before we had a chance to study them. There was confusion about what types of potatoes I could have with my meal (plaice). I really wanted frites, but was told I could only have new potatoes. My husband ordered baked scallops to start which were alright but certainly not as good as they have been. His frito mistro order seemed to have less fish on the plate than in the past and appeared without any vegetables. For dessert, I chose ice cream with a shot of expresso coffee. This was ruined for me when the waitress, without being asked, poured all of the coffee onto the ice cream, thus spoiling the flavour and making it too "wet" before I had the opportunity to pour as much coffee on as I wanted. A very disappointing experience. The restaurant might like to think about engaging staff who will offer a smile and a genuine welcome to visiting guests. The standard of cooking here is clearly deteriorating and the prices do not give value for money. It is worth remembering that there is a great deal of competition in Dartmouth. For good fish cooking I would either visit Taylors Restaurant or the Floating Bridge. By the way, Mitch, please get up to date in the 21st century by at least offering the opportunity to access wi fi.

• Visited June 2014