“Need to improve service”

The Cherub Inn Restaurant
Ranked #37 of 96 Restaurants in Dartmouth
Price range: US$6 - US$32
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Paignton, United Kingdom
“Need to improve service”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Such a lovely little pub but if the new management don't want to lose customers they need to improve the restaurant service!

Lunch service is advertised as 12-2. We arrived a little after 1.30 and although the bar was busy the restaurant upstairs was empty. The waitress somewhat reluctantly agreed to let us sat down and, after we had waited 5 minutes or so and I had asked politely, she eventually let us have a menu. We were not asked if we wanted anything to drink and, on asking if we had to go back downstairs and fetch our own, were told "Yeah". Note to manager - you're not going to sell much from your wine list!

We ordered ham, egg and chips which, although rather pricey at £10+, was nicely cooked and well presented. Unfortunately this was again let down by the waitress who did not bother to ask if we wanted any sauces, vinegar etc. My friend asked for mayo which was provided but still the waitress did not ask if I would have liked anything.

To be honest I couldn't wait to leave which, in all honesty, was I think was her aim! Customer service doesn't come naturally to everyone and perhaps she was new to the role? If so then it is up to the management to make sure that she is properly trained and supervised before she loses you trade. There are lots of other eating places in Dartmouth.

1 Thank SueCose

• Polish first
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“could have been so much better”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

a party of 8 of us visited here, the pub is great we've been before, warm cosy fire, so we decided to book a table with our friends, the staff didn't seem to know what was on the menu to start with, so we were offered dishes which they had run out of, we were expecting a variety of fresh fish but none of that only sole goujons or cod, also if you don't like mustard dressing don't have any salad because every side salad had it on, both starters and mains, when we ordered desserts they were either completely out of them or had no cream to go with them, it was such a shame because we love the place itself, the saving grace was the people who had ordered steak said they were excellent.

1 Thank Julie S
Chichester, United Kingdom
“Very tasty”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We eat here on the May bank holiday weekend. The food was hot and tasty and the service was good. It has an old pub feel which was nice.

1 Thank Dizzy K
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Great beer, great food and a beautiful building”
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

This pub is in one of the oldest buildings in the south west of England. It had 6 local real ales on and were kept very well. We ate food in the upstairs restaurant twice and both meals were very good. Other reviewers have commented on hearing the waiting staff talking. This is true but we found them to be very funny and didn't mind in the least. I would definitely recommend The Cherub to anyone who appreciates historic buildings, good real ale and decent English pub food.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Alex H
West Country
“Brilliant experience, appears to remain the most poular pub in the town.”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

One of my favourite haunts when in Dartmouth which, once again, proved to be as popular as ever and was extremely well patronised during my two visits. Excellent choice of real ales and my friend was very impressed by the number of whiskys on offer with which I cannot argue although I am not a spirits person. Food was excellent and the staff very friendly despite being worked off their feet. Frankly I am extremy suspicious with regard to the previous contributor's review as there simply were no cobwebs whatsoever, the bar was extremely clean and each table was wiped and sanitised every time it was vacated, the toilets were sparklingly and the restaurant was packed despite allegations of a tired and uninspiring menu. I am so insensed at this total misrepresentation I am forced to ask 'Who is this person working for'?

Visited April 2014