“Not even if it were given to me....”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Tsang's Restaurant

Tsang's Restaurant
Ranked #50 of 92 Restaurants in Dartmouth
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Not even if it were given to me....”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

Awful is the only way that I could describe tonight's dinner. I don't often leave bad reviews, I guess I'm lucky and pick good restaurants but this was certainly the exception. We'd been out all day and just wanted to pick up some food and take it back to the boat, relax and eat. Obviously we had a take-away. It was the special menu 'recommended by the chef' for two at £20.75. It consisted of sweet and sour pork balls, my wife bit into a BONE in one of her pork balls! Also we had some pork with bean-sprouts, tough meat, no taste, the bean-sprouts were soft, no crunch, no taste....
Special fried rice that so wasn't.... Where I come from you get rice at the bottom with a selection of meats on top, not this time, just rice and a few chopped up pieces of what looked like ham and some tiny prawns that weren't de-veined. The chicken and mushroom dish was the tastiest and easiest to eat but still not for raving about.
Sorry but all in all, a very bad experience and a waste of £20!

• Visited July 2014

Dartmouth, United Kingdom
“Good Chinese with Thai Options”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

We wanted to give Tsangs a 3.5 as it's a bit better than average but not quite a four. Mimi is a pleasant hostess and there were no real negatives. It was nice to get complimentary prawn crackers in an age when you rarely get anything complimentary any more. We happily crunched away whilst choosing from the menu. A few people have described Tsangs as expensive, which I don't understand when starters are £4.50 and mains range from £10-£13. We shared the salt and pepper squid main for a starter, and I have never had better. The squid was super fresh and just perfectly cooked, and the seasoning was properly strong enough to taste (not the case in many restaurants). My pad thai duck was tasty and had a nice topping of chopped peanuts and happily was not over oily. My husband picked a thai pork and vegetable dish which he thought lacked the subtle thai fragrances and lent itself more towards the thicker Chinese-style sauces (but hey, we're in a Chinese restaurant!). He said it was good, just not quite what he expected.

We will go again - and I'm definitely ordering the salt and pepper squid every time. I agree with an earlier comment that the restaurant looks nothing like the Tripadviser picture - think minimalist, just like you find in Asia.

Visited May 2014
Stafford, United Kingdom
“A big let down”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

To begin with the restaurant looks nothing like the colourful picture shown above. We were led through the takeaway area to a room behind which had 8 tables in total. It was clean but on the night we went it was very cold inside with no heating on at all. We were the only ones there at 9.20pm on a Saturday night which initially surprised me but when we left I could understand why. We opted for the £79 fixed meal and settled back for the feast. The food was served quick and hot but unfortunately the quality and quantity were sub standard. The pork was a bit tough and the sweet and sour pork balls were insipid and pretty awful. The beef was ok but the prawns were like the pork balls.Pretty awful. I would say that there was enough for no more than two people. I know this is Dartmouth and we expect to pay over the odds but when you are all sat with coats on in the cold and served sub standard food then this particular place becomes very questionable. We are regular visitors to Dartmouth and have eaten at most of the restaurants with no complaints. This place was a major let down and in my opinion does the lovely town of Dartmouth no favours at all. Avoid at all costs.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Dinley
Dartmouth, England
“Eating enjoyment”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

My family and I often eat at Tsangs. I am not a fan of Chinese cuisine but I can eat confidently here. Yes it is a bit pricey but then it's in Dartmouth and nowhere is cheap. We find the staff attentive and very pleasant. You treat them right and they take note of that

• Visited March 2014
Kingswear, United Kingdom
“Excellent food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

The thing about good Chinese food is it's incredibly rare anywhere outside of London in the UK. Tsang's is the real thing, no MSG, just great quality food cooked traditionally. We have been so disappointed with terrible Chinese food in the past, we're fussy having spent quite a lot of time in Hong Kong, but this restaurant is well worth a visit, it's not posh or pretentious, just very good quality food, and to those that think it's expensive - sorry but you get what you pay for!

• Visited January 2014