“Heaven.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Annabelles Kitchen - CLOSED

Annabelles Kitchen
Cuisines: British, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, View, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Great British Dining Room
basingstoke
“Heaven.”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Have just returned from a fabulous meal at Annabelles. It was one of the best meals I have eaten, so much so, that we cancelled another restaurant booking later in the week, so that we could come back here.
It is a cosy, intimate restaurant, but we did not feel overcrowded in anyway. The views are fabulous.
The staff were lovely, so friendly and added to our enjoyment of the evening.
I had the cheese and onion starter, which was amazing, the cheese cooked to perfection. I had steak for main with blue cheese bon bons, delightful. My husband had the duck, which he said was delicious.
It would have been rude not to try the puddings, so purely out of politeness, I had the chocolate fondant with salted caramel sauce. OMG! Divine. This alone would bring me back. My mouth is watering at the memory of it. My husband had Eton Mess, which he said was lovely, full of fruit and full of flavour.
I can not wait to go back. And as for the person who wrote the "terrible" review, he must be bonkers.

• Visited August 2014

Shifnal
“Celebration evening”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Spending a few days in Dartmouth, my husband booked Annabelles to celebrate my 'big birthday'.
On arrival we were shown to the best table in the room,with a lovely riverside view, the table had been decorated for the occasion
The meal was very good though.perhaps a little expensive.
Service was good and friendly and my birthday complete when pudding arrived complete with candles.
I think we were there the same evening as a previous reviewer who set her napkin on fire, I managed to do the same to the menu - so it was a really eventfull evening.

1 Thank AlfieShifnal
Saint-Remy-de-Provence, France
“Truly excellent ”
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

We had been planning a day out around Dartmouth for a while, and had originally planned on returning to the very good Seahorse. Sadly, they were fully booked that evening, so we tried our luck with Annabelle's and they were very happily able to fit us in.

First big plus was that they also took our dog, which is pretty unusual, given many non-pub restaurants, especially given the size of the serving room.

The meal was a delight from start to finish. The service was incredibly relaxed, friendly and patient, despite us having one of our party unable to join us until later due to the difficulty in finding parking.

The food was almost completely without fault. I say almost for this reason: we ordered the chateaubriand for two, although even the wonderful waitress, Susie, recommended we take it for three as it was sizeable. We like our beef quite rare, but it sadly showed up close to well done. The immediate reaction? Massively apologetic and without question offered a replacement. She then blew us away by serving a second one (which was really really fantastic), and then also not charging us for either of them! Considering this was their most expensive main, I was really impressed by this.

Note to other restaurateurs: THAT IS HOW TO REMEDY A MISTAKE!

Other plusses include a lovely view, simple fresh ingredients done with love and a whole general lack of pretention.

Only slight quibble might be the limited wine list, although it did feature some interesting wines, including a vintage port for dessert.

Overall, a restaurant worth travelling for, and we will definitely be back. Well done indeed to the whole team.

Newbury, United Kingdom
“Outstanding, a real find”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

It was my wife's birthday, and we chose here because we quite like small family run restaurants and the reviews were good. They have a small dining area with maybe 20 or so covers. The rooms is presented really nicely, classy but in a comfortable way. All tables have a lovely view out the large front window to the estuary. The welcome from the staff on arrival was warm and friendly and this set the tone for the evening.

The menu was quite selective, which I like as it's reassuring (do a few things very well!), especially in a small place. It also tells me a place has a proper identity which I like. All our food was very good, but my belly pork main was one of the best dishes I have eaten for some time - truly outstanding...you know when every mouthful is a real delight!

My only criticism was that having been given the dessert menu, we were never asked what we wanted (even after 30-45 minutes!). Sure, we could have called the waitress over but we were pretty full, albeit open to persuasion! In no way did this spoil our evening, but it was a little remiss. This is only reason I have given the service 4.

Intimate, professional, non-stuffy, great quality and good value. I will definitely return when next in Dartmouth.

Lichfield, United Kingdom
“terrific restaurant”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Visited here to celebrate my daughter's birthday. Upon arrival, the four of us were shown to a lovely table by the window that had been decorated with birthday wishes. A good start. Staff very friendly and helpful, wine good (and reasonably priced), food terrific. Could not have wished for more.

1 Thank Fatherfigure