“really dissapointing.”

Dining options: Reservations
south devon
“really dissapointing.”
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Have been here a number of times ... and has been ok. .... but has gone down in my opinion now,

A few weeks ago we had butterbut rissotto ... served on a stone cold plate (1/2 a plate ) other half was salad ! strange !

Today I had bagette with white crab ? tinned ?thawed ? but def not fresh ... this is Dartmouth no excuse. The bagette was NOT buttered , and mayonaise was just squirted down lenth of bagette. Totally tasteless, had to ask for more mayo.

What a shame as the restaurant is pleasant .

Pity, but we wont be going here again , and yes we should have mentioned all this at the time, but it is so uncomfortable to complain , and spoils this afternoon.

Would love a reply to this complaint.

• Visited November 2013
3 Thank kezziedog

South Devon, United Kingdom
“Just plain terrible!”
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Really just don't bother!
We should have been suspicious when the place was eerily empty for a Friday night.
We, managed to find the two most dreadful starters we have ever had (I am betting mine was previously in an "Iceland" bag and frozen) and served with nastiest glass of red wine I have had in a long, long while.
We paid for our starter, left the dreadful wine and got out of there.
Whoever is running this establishment should take a very long look at themselves and consider if they have made the right career path.
Our advice if you pass No.8 is keep looking ahead and keep right on walking.

• Visited June 2013
3 Thank lowrider1962
“Tesco value jam”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We were on the lookout for Devon cream tea and were enticed by the high tea sign outside the shop. What a surprise, we were greeted by a cold scone, slightly stale cream and telco value jam!!! Tea tasted like bleach too. The atmosphere is not great, avoid as there are other much nicer places nearby where I am sure you could get a better cup of tea at least. Staff pleasant though!

Visited June 2013
3 Thank Alanwd
Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
“Excellent quality fresh food & great service”
Reviewed 13 May 2013

Have just come back from spending the weekend at the Dartmouth music festival; ate out here three times as the experience was really good. The first night had a marvellous home cooked haddock and pea risotto with a great crunchy salad. The net day popped in for cake and coffee; highly recommend the fruit and nut cake. The following morning had an excellent English breakfast. In our view, one of the best eating out places in Dartmouth.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Sunnyside121
Torquay, United Kingdom
“Nice but could be so much better”
Reviewed 12 May 2013

We dropped in No. 8 unplanned when we saw the early bird offer advertised outside (£12 for main & starter or £11 for main & dessert). The young waitress seemed fairly new & a bit nervous but she was very pleasant. We ordered breaded mushrooms & brie salad for starters. They were good however 2 of the 'mushrooms' were scampi and seeing as we are all vegetarian it was not what we expected to receive. We did complain and they said sorry, but neither went to replace them with the rest of the mushrooms we should have had, nor did they knock anything off the bill. The warm brie & caramelised onion salad was lovely. For mains we had a Butternut Squash risotto, a vegetable lasagne & a somerset brie tart. They were all nice but both the risottoe & lasagne were served with shaved parmesan already on them, which is not suitable for vegetarians. The risotto also tasted more like a blue cheese risotto with a few bits of butternut squash added. A case of not describing the dishes very well on the simple menu.

Did we enjoy the meal? Yes, but mainly because I chose not to complain too much at the time, I find it tends to ruin the experience. The food was good overall.

Would I return? Maybe, but only if the restaurant gets in touch and offers me a discount to take account of my complaint. (I couldn't find an email address or website for me to contact them via, perhaps this is reflected in the recent poor reviews)

What would I change? They offer a good selection of 'vegetarian' meals but they have to realise that it is just as valid (and often as strict) a diet as a Kosher diet. I would suggest the owners/chef visits http://www.vegsoc.org/page.aspx?pid=506 and gets some accurate advice about what is vegetarian & what isn't.

• Visited May 2013