“all a bit average”

Ranked #72 of 98 Restaurants in Dartmouth
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 10 June 2014

my in laws always come here but it is always a bit boring!..sorry but food is average and no ambiance

1  Thank Tara H

Reviewed 28 May 2014

My husband and myself visited No 8 with our daughter and son in law after a very rocky boat trip - my daughter and son in law felt very queasy and were looking for a substantial meal to counteract their nausea. They ordered a mozzarella and tomato salad which was very skimpy in quantity with lettuce leaves making up the main part of the salad. I ordered a mozzarella melt which was also a spartan serving while my husband's crab baquette was tasty but the filling was less than generous and the promised crisps never arrived. We ordered two drinks, tea and a coffee, with two glasses of tap water. The bill came to £41.00 - we were horrified at this outrageous price for a less than satisfying meal.

We had advised my daughter that there were some great restaurants in Dartmouth - sadly this was not one of them and we won't be back. In short, No 8 simply lets Dartmouth down.

1  Thank John46Woking
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We called in late on a drizzly Sunday morning. It was not busy. We asked for 2 toasted ham and cheese sandwiches and 2 coffees. We were told by a far from interested young lady that they didn't do them. I replied that they were advertised on their menu in the window! She said that they were only for breakfast time but would see if they were available- yes, was the answer.
They were the worst I have ever had, bread hardly toasted and the grated cheese was not melted or cooked at all, it was luke warm. We should have sent them back, but couldn't be bothered with the fuss.
When we came to pay, it was over £18- I queried this with her and was told the sandwiches were £6.95 each. After paying, I checked on the way out, and they were listed as being £4.95, they weren't worth even that! I went back in, and a more senior staff member was summoned who vaguely apologised and gave us £4 back.
There are much better places than this in Dartmouth. Avoid.

1  Thank RufusZach
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

I am not sure if this restaurant is under new management, but certainly food quality and quantity has slipped. I ordered a spicy chicken burger, skinny fries, coleslaw and side salad for £8.95. The burger was the smallest I have seen (2" across) a sparse amount of thin fries and a heaped teaspoon full of coleslaw. My wife's Quiche came with very little filling, more on par with a pizza. With so many first class restaurants within a few hundred yards of No 9, they should take a serious look the
at the quality and quantity of the food they and their competitors are serving.
On saying that, the waiting staff were excellent. The restaurant was spotless.
We will return, but not for lunch.

1  Thank Sherpa836
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Popped in for breakfast, and should have popped out again! Four of us went in for breakfast,ordered omelettes for 4, drinks came quickly and we're okay but charged for two pots of tea and only got one. Cook came down after fifteen minutes to inform us that the eggs were out of date! So anyone with any common sense would have popped to the local shop and got some, so we had to order toasted sandwiches. Waited 25 mins for our toasties but they arrived cold and the cheese had just been grated inside one rashers of bacon.One bite and we left without paying for the food. Girl who served us just took them away without asking what the problem was. Whilst this was going on,two guys came in with guitars and set up, too loud for such a small place and 11.30 on a Sunday morning. Not acceptable. Think they are going out of business as selling off items from the place. Never again

1  Thank barbarapagesmith