“Lovely hotel”
Review of Royal Castle Hotel

Royal Castle Hotel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Dartmouth
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Having booked the hotel from work for a night stay mid week. I was pleasantly surprised when checked in the reception was very friendly. The hotel is a great location and bed rooms are amazing.

The bar is nice and friendly. The breakfast is very good and cooked breakfast is lovely.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank BearGryllsUK
Millie A, Manager at Royal Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Thank you for such a lovely review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us when you last visited. We hope to see you soon if the occasion arises. Best wishes.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,068)

Reviewed 6 June 2014

In this world I speak as I find.
We visited this hotel for sunday lunch, 4 adults and an infant in a buggy. We attempted to sit down (it wasn't busy) and were asked to leave due to infants not being allowed in the bar area. We walked across the corridor to the second bar only to find no facilities for children (high chairs) so again we had to leave.
If you were a resident of the hotel you would be allowed to use these places to eat...but not as a visitor....yet the street outside is full of their advertisments encouraging visitors to dine inside....unless you are a family obviously.
People who were already sitting in the bar were quite shocked that our child in a buggy wasn't allowed inside.
So here we are in the year 2014 where a pub called the royal castle hotel dartmouth doesn't encourage family dining... unless a resident.
So my advice to the hotel is to take down your menu signs or stipulate outside that families are not welcome, we can then walk past and eat elsewhere without the embarrasment of being asked to leave...quite astonishing.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank mrkeithm0rgan

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. One of our downstairs bars the Harbour bar is an over eighteens bar. The other bar, the Galleon bar, we allow children in the front end. This is our hotel policy for safe guarding children within our establishment. We do not allow pushchairs or high chairs in the bar because they do impose an evacuation risk if we needed to evacuate the building in an emergency due to the narrow corridors in the hotel. We allow highchairs and have a children menu upstairs in our Grill Room restaurant, we also have our library and flat roof area where again high chairs and children’s menu are available. Next time you come and visit us please do ring ahead and see the availability for these areas. Best wishes.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

I love staying at this hotel - its right in the middle of Dartmouth, overlooking the Boat Float and has a great atmosphere. We have stayed here a few times and it never disappoints! Being right in the middle of town and with a bar/restaurant in the main reception area, it is something of a hub for locals and visitors alike so reception area can be busy at times, but it also means that you don't feel detached from life in Dartmouth. The bar is a great place for people watching! The lobby and hotel restaurant are on the first floor away from the bar, so you can escape from the hubbub. It is a quaint hotel in its decor, with an old fashioned sumptuousness, but this means it's far more original and characterful than the big modern Dart Marina down the road and far less pretentious
The staff were helpful and courteous, there to help you when needed but not intrusive. The standard of cleanliness and facilities were of a good standard. Breakfast is just what you imagine it to be …faultless and relaxed.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for visiting the Royal Castle Hotel and taking the time to write such a lovely review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay when you last visited us. Our Grill Room restaurant is a fantastic place to get away from the buzz downstairs and we are especially proud of our gorgeous view. We hope to welcome you back again soon. Best Wishes.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

We made a last minute booking, we normally stay at The Dart Marina and you can not fault the place but unfortunately it was fully booked, so too was Bayards Cove. This is another place we can not fault. The Royal Castle had rooms available, so we booked up and I wish we never bothered leaving home.

Generally speaking the whole hotel lacked the ambience of somewhere as special as Dartmouth. We didn't find the room comfortable or its layout relaxing. We suffered from noises coming from I don't know where. Our stay was all a bit lacklustre, and that's the one word I would use to sum up our stay - lacklustre.

Towels felt cheap, one robe in a double room but you can phone down for another if you want, no comforts or luxuries. My wife was trying to have a bath - no hot water! it's just very old fashioned and you get a lot more elsewhere and you need to give more nowadays. Annoyingly, most things this hotel lacks aren't expensive or extravagant, it just needs dealing with. I could list 101 things the hotel lacks, but that's not the point. I've already spent too much time being annoyed by these trifling matters. But when I paid near the same money as it is, to stay at other Dartmouth Hotels, I started to feel slightly ripped off.

I made my comments known to the manager in person, and we were shrugged off. Just a sorry would suffice and I wouldn't feel the need to be here writing a negative review.

The parking system is a good idea and the breakfast was faultless. I'm sure this will inspire the owner to make another glorious response. But for the record, I have not had any communication back from the hotel or its owner after I made my comments in person and in writing. And I find that disrespectful, uncaring and unnecessary.

We will return to Dartmouth soon, but not to this hotel ever in my lifetime. I'm sure the owner is pleased with that, and we will be even more pleased.

Note - If you can't be bothered to respond to your customers problems, why choose to berate on here instead?? I would love to know

7  Thank Harold H

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We apologise that when you last visited us you did not enjoy your stay. We take complaints here at the Royal Castle Hotel very seriously and we can assure you that these matters have not been taken lightly. Our management team here at the Hotel strive to ensure every body’s stays are enjoyable ones and we certainly didn’t mean to cause any wayward feelings. I would be more than happy for you to contact me and discuss this further if you wish, please contact me on Millie.Archer@royalcastle.co.uk Best wishes.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

I remember seeing this hotel on a previous visit to Dartmouth many years ago and have always wanted to experience a stay here. From the moment we arrived we were made welcome and shown to our room even though it was earlier than the official check-in time. The valet parking is ideal as the hotel is so central to local amenities that there is no need to drive. Our room (10) was at the rear of the hotel, but overlooking the central atrium, and was furnished with a large four-poster bed and period furniture with a large modern bathroom. The celebration carvery on Sunday evening was excellent in the Grill Room overlooking the harbour, as was breakfast the following morning. My birthday cards were obviously noted by the staff as upon our return later that day there was another card and a gift from the hotel - a very nice touch and much appreciated. The two well-stocked bars were always well patronised by local people as well as residents which gave them a friendly atmosphere. We ate another superb meal from the a la carte menu in the Grill Room the following evening which easily lived up to our expectations. Although perhaps a little more expensive than you might expect for a 3-star hotel, the Royal Castle more than makes up for it with levels of service and attention to detail that are truly outstanding. I've been trying to think when I've stayed at a better hotel anywhere in the world, but haven't come up with anything yet! We congratulate Nigel Way and his excellent team of helpful, friendly & professional staff for making our stay such a memorable one.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write such an excellent review. We are glad that your experience at the hotel when you stayed with us was a memorable time and we were able to help you celebrate you birthday with us. We hope to see you again soon, kind regards.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We went to the Royal Castle for our wedding anniversary. When we booked we did drop a hint and neither of us were disappointed. There was a small gift laid on by the hotel for my wife when we arrived, a really nice touch. We ate in the restaurant on the first evening both the food and service were excellent. On the second evening(saturday) we ate in the bar ( having booked the table in the morning). It was packed in the bar but we had a table by the window and again the food and service were first class. I was impressed by the bar manager" Dan" who not only remembered my name when I went to the Bar to order drinks, but also took the trouble to ask me about my stay. The fried breakfast in the morning is A1

A great place to stay and we will be going again !!!

Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

We popped in to the Royal Castle Hotel for a late afternoon drink following a wander around Dartmouth. Initially, we just wanted a place to sit whilst considering the options for our evening meal. Having spent some time looking through TripAdvisor reviews (and listening to comments from others dining in the lounge bar) we decided to stay.

I had the devon burger whilst my partner had the pie of the day (lamb with root veg served with plenty of summer vegetables- £12.95).

I have never heard my partner be so complimentary of a meal we have had (other than when I cook Sunday lunch!). The lamb pie was "divine" and the veg/new pots were cooked perfectly.

Neither of us are particularly fans of seafood but the Royal Castle Seafood Chowder looked delicious and seemed to be a popular choice in the restaurant as did the sea bass which was the meal of choice for a table of 6 next to us (empty plates all round).

As for the service, the joyous Tamsyn looked after us as though we were locals so we ended up staying for a glass or two more.

Comfortable place to sit for a coffee, a pint or a dog biscuit depending on your preference (water bowl for dogs that are also made most welcome).

Would definitely recommend and would return without hesitation.

Bon appetite!!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BertieBunnett
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dartmouth
Dart Marina Hotel and Spa
#5 of 6 in Dartmouth
Quayside Hotel
Quayside Hotel
#1 of 2 in Brixham

Been to Royal Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!