“Regular guests treated poorly!”

Dartmouth Golf and Country Club
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Regular guests treated poorly!”
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

My husband and I returned to DGCC for our 6 year Anniversary.

We have stayed here on several occassions so was happy to book in advance (February 2014) online.

The day before we were due to arrive, I called to book treatments only to be told that the spa was closed for refurbishment and in fact was not opening until the end of April. I was bitterly disappointed and explained that if I had known this we would of booked elsewhere!

The 'Reception Manager' was very unhelpful and frankly rude. After minutes of abrupt conversation (on her part) we finally got a complimentary meal!

We also asked for her to confirm we had a golf course view from our hotel room which we were told that we did not and that it is an extra £10 per night! Reluctantly we agreed to this to ensure we were by staring at a wall!

Once we arrived, Dee was at the Reception desk - who may I add was very polite and willing to help and passed over our hotel key. Once we unpacked the car and walked into our room, we found that we did not have a golf course room but...you guessed it...a wall!!
We walked back to Reception and had to go through the entire conversation of wanting a golf course room and finally we got one.

On a plus the rooms, cleaning, bar and bistro staff were all delightful. Surprising how one member of staff with a bad attitude can ruin it for you!

We are returning to Dartmouth for the first May bank holiday and we have booked the Dart Marina instead! Happy to take our money elsewhere!

4 Thank K-la107
DGCC, Sales and Marketing Manager at Dartmouth Golf and Country Club, responded to this review, 10 October 2014
Dear K-la107,

Many thanks for leaving your review for us.
I would like to apologise for your poor initial experience and poor communication with regards to the spa closure when making your booking, this is inexcusable on our part.
I must also apologise for the mix up with your room on arrival, I am only glad that Dee was able to sort this out for you when you brought this to her attention.
I am pleased to hear that the remainder of your stay was positive across all other departments of the resort.
I do hope you had a wonderful time during your bank holiday stay at the Dart Marina and do hope that you will consider us again in the future when visiting Dartmouth again.

Many Thanks

Huw

Stafford, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Short break”
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Stayed here on a winter value break with friends. It was very good value for money. Rooms were spacious, comfortable and clean. Décor rather tired in the main areas and a little dated. In need of a revamp. The food was average and service at breakfast not great. No atmosphere in the dining area and menu not inspiring so ate out at night.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Chris B
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Christmas Party”
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Excellent service, food and rooms! I can't thank all of the staff more! I had the pleasure of staying in December for a Christmas party. There were 20 of us in total and half of the party also had rooms for the evening. the rooms were very clean. The food in the evening was fab and the breakfast was amazing with lots to choose and very fresh and tasty. The evening was so much fun with a great atmosphere. The staff went out of there way to make us all feel so welcome and made the whole evening very special. Keith King and all the team were helpful and friendly. Well done everyone and THANK YOU. Hope to see you all again soon. :-)

Visited December 2013
Paignton
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Not a good experience”
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Like many others a friend and I bought the Travelzoo Spa Day looking for a pampered day out but had a disappointing experience overall although with some high points. In general the place is very run down and so you don't feel like you are having a treat, it is more like a council run health centre. The steam room was working but there was a blackened towel stuffed in a hole in the wall/ceiling. We had booked to have our treatments at the same time but when the time came one of the therapists had booked in a last minute treatment in our time slot. We waited nearly half an hour and then I went in to have my treatment whilst my friend waited for the other therapist to finish. I had a treatment lasting nearly an hour and the treatment and therapist (sorry can't remember name) were lovely, however my friend was still waiting and when her therapist finally emerged she put her coat on and went home!!!! My friend did get her treatments eventually but the afternoon felt wasted with all the faff.

I was waiting around all afternoon after my treatment and could not go back in the pool as it was pre booked for children's lessons all afternoon - perhaps we should have been told this when we booked.

Lunch was OK but there was a man painting the walls around us as we ate - not ideal!

This certainly was not a luxury and was not the price even of the special offer.

My advice? Go somewhere else.

Visited November 2013
Keynsham
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Excellent service and good value”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Everything was what we expected and more, staff went out of their way to be helpful, gluten free options were always available and the food was excellent. Golf course beat us badly.

Visited November 2013