“FANTASTIC! ”

Monty Halls Great Escapes
More attraction details
Owner description: Our main aim is to get you into the heart of the action, whether that be a boat trip, a shore walk, a longer excursion or a mini expedition - we create opportunities for once in a lifetime encounters in the countryside and coastline surrounding Dartmouth. With our marine biologist skipper or Monty Halls himself, your guaranteed a fantastic time!
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“FANTASTIC! ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

The trip was amazing!! I live in Dartmouth and have never been on a trip like that before and learnt a lot! It was amazing weather and our guide Rachel was perfect for the trip =).. So knowledgeable, friendly and funny. Made us all feel very relaxed and safe. Can't wait to do it again sometime as it certainly cleared the cobwebs away haha! Thank you so much for the opportunity and would recommend to anyone.

1 Thank Chloe E

Dartmouth, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“I didnt want it to end....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

It was a gorgeous Sunny Sunday morning for a boat trip & right from the safety briefing to the end of boat trip Rachel (the Marine Biologist) was fantastic. I felt safe on the boat with her & her knowledge of Dartmouth & the surrounding areas is amazing, being a local Dartmouthian myself I was shocked at how little I knew!
We saw Seals, Fulmars & Cormorants that day & Rachel knew so much about all of them! The sea was so calm & clear & I can honestly say I didn't want it to end... It was a wonderful experience which I will be doing again & again & I thoroughly recommend it anyone & everyone!!

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Shaniqua-87
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“A Great Escape indeed.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

It's been a good few years back since I watched Monty's documentary on Applecross. As he crossed the Bealach Na Ba in a Land Rover I decided that one day I'd make the same journey and it seemed wrong if I didn't do it in a Land Rover. It wasn't long before I'd flown to Glasgow after a moment of eBay madness to pick up Dorothy the Land Rover. It wasn't long after that during a chance game of online Scrabble that I got to chatting about Applecross, Land Rovers, expeditions and exploration with a young lady from Scotland. Well initially I think she mentioned Whiskey and going to a festival in the Landy.

A year later we met as friends and one thing lead to another. I quickly converted her to the idea of camping and we visited Cornwall. The spark was lit and within the same year we had toured through Scotland and undertaken that very same drive over the Bealach Na Ba. We have since undertaken trips throughout the British Isles. Kayaks have been bought, surfboards dusted off, snorkeling gear acquired. We've camped, we've glamped and we've made sure along the way that we support local businesses, we learn about the places, the flora and the fauna.

So booking a trip out on Monty Halls' Great Escapes means we've come full circle and it was a little thank you for lighting the fire and sparking the imagination. We easily found the Great escapes shop in Market Street in Dartmouth. We were able to park just around the corner which was very convenient.

We popped into the shop to meet our host for the day, local Marine Biologist Rachel Cole, who was putting Toby, an incredibly lucky Work experience chap through his paces. Monty alas was off on an expedition in Guyana and his usual co-pilot Reuben had taken the day off to sunbathe and bark at his own shadow. After a briefing, a run through on safety we were fitted for life jackets and took the short stroll down to the dock to get on board 'Jason' the fast rib. Two '110 Evinrude' outboards, Blimey.

As the conditions were perfect, the sun shining, we set out through the River Dart to see if we could find some Seals on the Mewstone, a rocky outcrop not far from Dartmouth. Rachel gave us lots of fantastic insight into Dartmouth, its history and the ecology of the River and Sea. Once we had reached the mouth of the river Rachel was able to open up the engines a bit and we sped across towards the Mewstones to see what we might find. We were fortune to find a small group of seals taking in the sun on the rocks. We saw Cormorants, shags, Black tipped gulls and all manner of seabirds. Rachel certainly knows her stuff and with her being a member of the local Lifeboat crew you knew you were in safe hands.

We had a super trip, we learned lots, had great fun speeding along in the rib and we were blessed with plenty of wildlife and great weather. It was the perfect start to the trip. It suits everyone, young and old. I'm sure we'll book in again to head out on one of their Taste of Devon trips sometime soon. Perhaps we might even get to meet Reubs?

Visited April 2014
Devon
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Exhilarating”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

So off we went suited & booted with our flotation aids set out on the River Dart in a very comfortable Rib up river to see the Seals on the pontoon (Mum & pup) where the very talented Rachel (marine Biologist) enthralled us with her knowledge... Then we went out of the mouth of the Dart to Open Water "WOW"... Rachel (the Skipper) Opened her (the Rib) up & away we went sea spray & wind in our hair ,whizzing along the glistening blue sea on a stunning sunny March day. Great fun with lots of giggles and squeals of excitement. Loved every minute of the 90 minute trip that was over all to soon... What a way to spend a day messing about on the waves, with wildlife and a great view of some amazing houses & Landmarks. Can't wait to do it all again soon.

Visited March 2014
Bristol
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“A Grand Day Out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

What a lovely day we spent when a group of us did the Ultimate Taste of Devon trip. This involved a day trip from Dartmouth, a Rib ride out to sea and then onto Compass Cove for a delicious lunch and shore walk with our hosts, Alana and Rachel. It was very interesting discovering the plant life and sea creatures that inhabit the shore line. We then took the coastal path to Dartmouth Castle for a welcome cup of tea and scone. The girls were great and obviously loved their work. We also met Monty at the shop and he very kindly allowed us girls to have our photo taken with him. The star of the day was Reuben, of course, Monty's gorgeous black dog.

Visited October 2013