“Absolutely appalling”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 3 June 2012

Please make sure you look up the reviews under the new name for Angelique - The Angel. This restaurant appears to change its name to cover its bad record - it really isn't worth the money. Sorry.

8  Thank Firethorne

Reviewed 3 June 2012

By the 2 June this establishment ran a Saturday night service based on a 3-3-3 menue with asparagus as a starter served with a splash of lemon something, main course 2 inches of a piece of lemon sole on mash potatoe made in the watery style! Oh yes, one of the 3 mains was off the menu. If this is owned by a Michelin stared chef with hopes of having a course on the 2012 Olympic banquet then my cat could do a better job!
£130 for two, and the till needed ink, so could we check the receipt ourselves behind the bar, behind the piles of soiled napkins heaped on the floor.
Please for the sake of the reastaurant going public, close.

8  Thank Pommepuree
Reviewed 27 May 2012

As a avid foodie I had heard about the The Angel Dartmouth a lot over the past few year's so while I was in Dartmouth I dined there. My table booked for dinner at 7pm I arrived too a most warm welcome of a young waiter named Dave, what a asset to the angel he is. Quite often these days staff have cold and unwelcoming, this night was not the case. I was given a lovely table and the evening began. I ordered my food and wine and waited. The ground floor area has a open plan kitchen, I had noticed how clean and turned out it was and the wonderful smell off bread being baked how quaint. My bread arrived four types, sourdough was very nice my stater arrived It was a starter of crab soup with chilli, Very subtle notes of chilli with the crab very nice, my main course was sea bass and mussels, I had read that a very expericed chef was at the helm , the cooking of the sea bass was just simply the best cooked fish I have had in a long time, I sent my compliments too the kitchen. As I looked into the kitchen I could see how the chefs where all out on full steam checks being called out and the chefs eager too cook , what a delight too see I told the manager a gentleman called Richard how impressed I was with how the Angel was being brought too life by wonderful team off young chefs and waiters! My dessert came chocolate mirror tart with passion fruit pannacotta. Again lovely flavours and beautifully executed. I ordered coffee which arrived with some lovely biscuits. Coffee was very good too, I asked for my bill it arrived and was very reasonable for what I had just eaten. As I was leaving I said thank you too the staff for a nice eve when the chef came over too me and asked if it was ok? His name was Steven what a really nice gesture,no asked about the crab soup he explained the dish too me something I have not experienced before! He explained he was trying too get the restaurant a good name again, I said well for myself and the cost of the meal it was just simply delightful cooking with fantastic people working hard too do there best for me that night. I really do hope that he and the fantastic team get there rewards. Many thanks for a wonderful dinner in a sublime restaurant.

1  Thank David E
Reviewed 5 May 2012

Had a fab stay room superb although you need a while to run a bath! The restaurant food was really good quality & although a limited menu which Steve the fantastic chef said he was having to do in order to get the brigade up to scratch what we ate was delicious. All of the staff were helpful & very friendly. We will return very soon. The chefs!

Reviewed 1 May 2012

Now renamed The Angel. No idea who manages the place nowadays and there lies the trouble.
Ambience-free dining experience, poor servce, limited and unimaginative menu, unattentive staff - I could go on. Left waiting upstairs shouting down the stairs for service, gave up, paid up and left thinking "never again".

5  Thank Mark8484