“Standards have dropped - very disappointing”
Review of Angelique - CLOSED

Angelique
Price range: US$1 - US$92
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 1 July 2012

My husband and I went to the Angel having had an excellent taster menu in December last year. It was because the taster menu was so good that we decided to go again. I had mussels to start which were average and despite being £8.95 did not come with any bread (extra charge of £2.95). My husband ordered the Liver Parfait which was excellent. The main course menu was very limited and we settled on the griddled steak (more out of need to select something rather than really wanting this). I had mine rare and my husbands was blue- both were tough (my husband left half) and we told the waiter but were still charged full price. The vegetables were well cooked but were basic. Given our previous experience we were extremly disappointed by the considerable drop in the food standard and decided not to have a pudding and we cut the meal short.

I understand that the chef has changed since December and this may account for the change in quality. Also we were told that the menu was new and had only been running for a couple of days (although in my view, a good chef should be able to cope with this).

The food was very expensive for what it was and the wine list is expensive and suited for a fine dining restaurant which this was not.

On the plus side the waiters were very friendly and the ambience is less formal and more relaxed than before.The restaurant does also have a very good view of Dartmouth Harbour.

My overall impression was that the restaurant was looking to capture tourist trade (ie one off customers) rather than repetative local trade for which good quality is important.
The restaurant is part of the 10 in 8 group and I have been looking forward to going to other restuarants in this group since our meal in December. I do now have reservations about this.

Price for 2 starters (mussels / parfait), 2 mains (steak, mash, green beans) and one bottle of pinot grigio £106.

During our stay in Dartmouth, we also ate at Royal Castle Hotel (very good), Browns Hotel (good), Rock Fish (takeaway only) (excellent). All of which are cheaper.

I would love to eat at the Angel again if it returns to its high standards and would go back if the reviews indicated that it has improved.

3  Thank sharon B

Reviewed 20 June 2012

After a poor experience last year we were going to give this a miss. A new Chef decided us to try Sunday lunch. A simplified menu, nice Asparagus as a starter and Sea Bass as a main. My wife had lamb, which was very tender. Some would class the menu as unadventurous, possibly so. However something is still not right. Six covers for Sunday lunch gives no ambience. The absence of locals is not explained as staying away when you see the main competition two doors away full and bustling. With a modest priced bottle of wine a bill approaching £100 plus a 12.5% service charge for Sunday lunch is over the top. This may be a factor. I am afraid we have not been won over. Next year when in Dartmouth on holiday we are likely to vote with our feet.

3  Thank WinniethepoohUK
Reviewed 3 June 2012

Please make sure you look up the reviews under the new name for Angelique - The Angel. This restaurant appears to change its name to cover its bad record - it really isn't worth the money. Sorry.

8  Thank Firethorne
Reviewed 3 June 2012

By the 2 June this establishment ran a Saturday night service based on a 3-3-3 menue with asparagus as a starter served with a splash of lemon something, main course 2 inches of a piece of lemon sole on mash potatoe made in the watery style! Oh yes, one of the 3 mains was off the menu. If this is owned by a Michelin stared chef with hopes of having a course on the 2012 Olympic banquet then my cat could do a better job!
£130 for two, and the till needed ink, so could we check the receipt ourselves behind the bar, behind the piles of soiled napkins heaped on the floor.
Please for the sake of the reastaurant going public, close.

8  Thank Pommepuree
Reviewed 27 May 2012

As a avid foodie I had heard about the The Angel Dartmouth a lot over the past few year's so while I was in Dartmouth I dined there. My table booked for dinner at 7pm I arrived too a most warm welcome of a young waiter named Dave, what a asset to the angel he is. Quite often these days staff have cold and unwelcoming, this night was not the case. I was given a lovely table and the evening began. I ordered my food and wine and waited. The ground floor area has a open plan kitchen, I had noticed how clean and turned out it was and the wonderful smell off bread being baked how quaint. My bread arrived four types, sourdough was very nice my stater arrived It was a starter of crab soup with chilli, Very subtle notes of chilli with the crab very nice, my main course was sea bass and mussels, I had read that a very expericed chef was at the helm , the cooking of the sea bass was just simply the best cooked fish I have had in a long time, I sent my compliments too the kitchen. As I looked into the kitchen I could see how the chefs where all out on full steam checks being called out and the chefs eager too cook , what a delight too see I told the manager a gentleman called Richard how impressed I was with how the Angel was being brought too life by wonderful team off young chefs and waiters! My dessert came chocolate mirror tart with passion fruit pannacotta. Again lovely flavours and beautifully executed. I ordered coffee which arrived with some lovely biscuits. Coffee was very good too, I asked for my bill it arrived and was very reasonable for what I had just eaten. As I was leaving I said thank you too the staff for a nice eve when the chef came over too me and asked if it was ok? His name was Steven what a really nice gesture,no asked about the crab soup he explained the dish too me something I have not experienced before! He explained he was trying too get the restaurant a good name again, I said well for myself and the cost of the meal it was just simply delightful cooking with fantastic people working hard too do there best for me that night. I really do hope that he and the fantastic team get there rewards. Many thanks for a wonderful dinner in a sublime restaurant.

1  Thank David E