“Lovely food with a stunning view”
Review of Angelique - CLOSED

Angelique
Price range: US$1 - US$92
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Shepton mallet
“Lovely food with a stunning view”
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

We booked a table on a recent visit to Dartmouth , with friends, one of celebrating a birthday as well. We came across the famous "Angel" made famous by the TV celebrity John Burton Race. Recently re- opened we were very lucky to be able to book a table.
A prime position overlooking the dart estuary we we spoilt with a window seat , however the view could be enjoyed anywhere in the dining room How lovely to find a restaurant with white table cloths and folded napkins, excellent food , friendly service. The choice was varied and you could see the chefs at work as the kitchen was on viewable from the dining room. Even so it was not noisy as some places can be when they attempt this, so congratulations to the chefs for creating wonderful food. With enough choice to suit all tastes, and for the chefs to produce it cooked to order. Good choice of vegetables with the main course just a little more cooked than I would have liked if I had to be picky, but still palatable however I am a complete chocolate brownie fan I enjoyed the best brownie I have had in ages with warm chocolate sauce.

Go visit it's well worth it and reasonably priced

Visited May 2014
1 Thank L B

Chichester, United Kingdom
“Best meal of the weekend”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We booked a table the day before and asked if we could have a window seat as it was my mans birthday and we wanted the view. They managed to fit us in just where we asked for. Nice white table clothes and a candle gave the room a nicer feel then the lunch time set up. We both had plaice stuffed with grab. They were a good size and came with lots of sauté potatoes and nice fresh veg. We had an interesting bottle of wine and coffees. The coffee was good. Service was a little quirky but the man tried ever so hard. Best meal of the weekend. We are returning to Dartmouth in a couple of weeks and will eat there again.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Dizzy K
Horley, United Kingdom
“New broom at The Angel”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

The Angel! Forget the tales of former celebrity-in-their-own minds chefs - this restaurant is open again and under new management since April and it is now worth a try. Passing by one weekday evening we met the owner outside putting up the menu. She is aiming, she said, for "mid market" rather than "fine dining" and my wife and I tried it out. I think she is succeeding in her aim. The food was good, the menu just varied enough, the prices reasonable. We left feeling that we had had good value and an enjoyable experience and that, in our experience of eating out, is becoming a rarity with restaurants and pubs everywhere in the UK now serving at best average food at gastro prices (just put some leaves out of a supermarket salad bag in a pile, balance some overcooked meat on it, drizzle gravy, sorry, Jus, and put a nought on the price). Minus points - the service was a bit haphazard and it seemed that the service process had not been worked out. I suspect the staff were not used to this type of environment. We had trouble paying the bill as they insisted we had already paid - turns out there had been a mix-up with a previous customer. Given the good time we had had, I could not get too upset by that and I am sure the staff will improve. We left smiling. I hope this new venture succeeds.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank RedDragon2014
visitreporter
“Restaurant Closed”
Reviewed 23 March 2013

Angelique has closed. Based on my last dining experience it is not surprising. It was over priced for what was on offer.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank visitreporter
Paignton, United Kingdom
“Very poor customer service from the manager or the owner”
Reviewed 28 October 2012 via mobile

We went to this restaurant with my family while visiting Dartmouth food festival and decided to try this place cuz it was raining and we had nowhere to go, we went there and asked if they are still serving breakfast but the guy was very rude and answered its 2 pm and you are asking for breakfast but excuse me there are restaurant who serves breakfast all day. I told him I did not like his attitude later I felt he calmed down but still I was not happy , food was good but very expensive , I paid 50 plus pound for two main course and the starter and portion was very tiny. Would not go there again sorry coz I'm in the same business and was not happy at all with the customer service so did all the family members felt.

1 Thank slowneazy