“Very nice”

The Jack In The Green Inn
Ranked #16 of 562 Restaurants in Exeter
Price range: US$72 - US$72
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 30 November 2012

Excellent wholesome food in a lovely environment. Pretty expensive for what it is, but reliably good.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,079)

Reviewed 26 November 2012

I have been visiting the Jack in the Green on and off for the last 20 years or so and it never disappoints. Latest visit was for Saturday lunch and we went for two starters each followed by dessert. It was a series of fabulous tasting food including their own beef bresaola and crab ristotto, not to mention salt caramel ice cream afterwards. Service is always impeccable, would not hesitate to recommend to anyone in the area.

Reviewed 9 November 2012

To celebrate our anniversary my boyfriend and I decided to try the Jack in the Green out. I had always heard rave reviews about it and thought it was time to see for myself. So we decided to make the trek from Plymouth up to Exeter and what a fantastic decision it was!
Excellent value for money, attentive service and simply delicious food! I would highly reccomend this place, for either a special occasion or just to drop in for a quick bite, this place seems to accommodate everyone's needs! They had a large birthday function on when we went as well as a few large tables, yet you wouldn't know as the service wasn't hindered what so ever.
The food was beautifully cooked with fantastic technical skills shown across all dishes. Can't wait to go back!

Reviewed 6 November 2012

We went to Jack in the Green for sunday lunch. This is priced at £20 for 2 courses and £25 for three courses. For starter we had smoked mackerel pate and chicken livers on brioche. Out of the two the stand out dish was the livers they were soft and delicious, although I do prefer them to be on normal toast as appose to brioche which I find a little spongy but this a personal preference. The mackerel pate had a nice taste to it but was very smooth I would say that for my taste it lacked texture but again this is a personal preference.

For mains we had roast dinner one venison and one beef. Both were delicious and came with an assortment of well prepared vegetables. The beef came with a yourkshire pudding that was a little doughy on the bottom but this would be my only critisism.

For pudding we had plumb crumble and sticky toffee pudding, both of which were very nice but not amazing.

The service was good, although it did appear that when we asked for our coats the lady went to check we had paid before returning them (a little to obviously). I would say that the food is a little overpriced as we have had similar sunday lunch offering of better quality for £19 for 3 courses near bristol (Ronnies in Thornbury) But as I am not from the area I could not say whether their price is standard.

Reviewed 5 November 2012

My husband took me here for a special birthday. We arrived much earlier than our reservation and was shown into the lounge area for drinks before dinner. We weren't in a hurry and were attended to regularly to make sure our drinks were topped and taken to our table when we were ready. The food was lovely as was the service. We enjoyed the evening immensely and the staff had overheard that it was my birthday and brought out a dessert (which I hadn't ordered) with a candle on it which was a lovely touch and a nice surprise. Would thoroughly recommend for a lovely evening out.