“Good meal/good value”

Price range: US$12 - US$50
Cuisines: European, Contemporary, British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A charming 18th Century building over-looking the soaring Gothic architecture of Exeter Cathedral. ABode Restaurant serves high quality British/European food in contemporary style.
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My wife and i had a very enjoyable meal here, excellent service, staff very attentive but not in your face, good choice on the menu, very good wine list, reasonable price - will return

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Great setting overlooking the Cathedral, excellent service and lovely food. But the food is expensive and the portions small. It loses a star because my husband is vegetarian and he gets VERY tired of just being offered risotto.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

I went here with my mother for lunch on a Bank Holiday Monday- despite booking only the day before, they were incredibly accommodating to all our food allergies- adapting the dishes we fancied to suit our needs. The service was exceptional- staff were friendly and courteous and paid great attention to detail.
The food was very nice, seasonal dishes: mother had salmon gravadlax with horseradish, which she loved, whilst I had a cucumber and dill soup (which I thought had slightly bitter after taste- possibly from the cucumber- although I agreed with the waiter and the chef, that this could easily have been my personal palate- but was still delicious) For main, we both had the crispy sole with peas (adjusted for both of us, differently) - the fish was excellently cooked and the salad dressing complimented it beautifully; but it worked even better with a glass of Picoul!For dessert my mother had the crème brulee with caramelised apple and green apple sorbet, which was not over sweet and very well balanced. I had the strawberry parfait- which I did feel lacked a little "strawberry-ness" but had a beautiful texture- it was a shame there were only two poached strawberry halves- as they brought a much needed freshness. Petit fours, were refreshing different- raspberry marshmallows and apricot/passion fruit pate de fruit. All in all, a thoroughly enjoyable experience!

Reviewed 20 May 2014

We ate here for a birthday celebration. The food was exceptional - the fish was cooked perfectly and presentation was good. We were impressed by the freshly baked bread and good wine list. We had a window view looking out over the cathedral which was a great setting.

My only criticism would be that whilst the service was very friendly it wasn't quite as good as we'd expect of a restaurant in this calibre. But that is very minor.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

My partner and I were given some vouchers at Christmas and had the great pleasure of using them at Michael Caines restaurant in Exeter a couple of weeks ago. The food we were severed was absolutely fantastic. It was beautifully prepared and simply delicious and this was complemented by the excellent service.
We ate from the lunch time menu which was very good value for money at only £11.95 for two courses !!!!
The beef simply melted in your mouth and the accompanying parts of the dish were equally as good. The desert was amazing and the small sweets which were complementary with our coffee finished the meal off beautifully.
We will be returning and I would thoroughly recommend this restaurant to anyone who loves really great food