“Excellent place to stay with lovely owners”
Review of The Telstar Hotel

The Telstar Hotel
Ranked #5 of 68 Exeter B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 March 2014

As I overslept, I missed the breakfast I was looking forward to but Ben rapidly offered an excellent bacon buttie.

Telstar is a small and individual guest-house which Ben and Amy are progressively improving towards a nice budget boutique hotel. Close to the Station and city centre and quiet.

If in need of a simple but delicious meal try the nearby Turkish cafe who do excellent stuffed aubergine.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 4 March 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights. The breakfasts were excellent and decor pleasant. The Hotel is good value and within easy walking access of city centre, Exeter St David's and Exeter Central, and very close to the university.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 February 2014

We stayed in the garden room and it was wonderful. It was a double and separate single room attached with a gated garden patio. We liked the heated floor in the bathroom and the breakfasts were very good – served hot and quick. There is a small parking area behind the hotel, and we always found a spot. A five minute walk from St David’s train station and a ten minute walk to High Street. They are very nice people to deal with, even when we had to change reservations a couple times. Very good and strong wireless connection. I highly recommend this hotel if staying in Exeter. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Stayed one night in the Telstar, checked in early without any problem, nice clean comfortable room with en suite shower room. Hotel promotes it's green focus which is great... Refillable ( great quality) toiletries etc. utilises limited car park brilliantly! Good value for money.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 28 January 2014

We were visiting friends in Exeter and wanted somewhere quite central.
I was the cheapest place I could find that looked good and had good reviews.

The exterior looks a bit shabby, but I didn't want to judge a book by its cover.
We checked in and the staff were friendly enough.

We walked up two sets of stairs to the top room, the halls and decorations looked very dated and a bit rough around the edges. And our room was very small, and not very well decorated. Very faulty towers.

I think we were expecting more, it was very basic.

On the up side the location was good, and as we didn't have much desire to head back early we ended up staying out late in Exeter and having a great time.

Its located a short walk from the centre and the breakfast was good.

Room Tip: The top floor back room wasn't
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Gina F
Ben G, Owner at The Telstar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

I was sorry to read that your experience at the Telstar Guest House was not more satisfactory and I wanted to take the opportunity to explain our current renovations. We took over the Telstar just over a year ago and have been busy upgrading it ever since. We have currently renovated approximately 60% of the rooms, but as you can imagine, with 21 rooms it takes some time. We have also just completed wood panelling and painting one set of stairs and corridors with the view of filling the walls with interesting and local apparel. Working with the fact that we have a Victorian building we are trying to create a quirky, eclectic environment with luxury modern touches. I am uncertain of what room you stayed in but it sounds as if the corridors you mention and the room itself have not yet been renovated. The un-renovated rooms are clean and have everything you need, just a little old fashioned, but cheaper because of that. The plan later this year also includes re-rendering the front of the building to smarten it up.
Lastly, just to advise you that with a bit of notice we have a range of rooms to choose from, and we can explain each room’s qualities in detail over the phone.

I hope this information has been of help.

Best Wishes,

Amy
Telstar Guest House

Reviewed 9 January 2014

Was very impressed with the Telstar Hotel. I stayed for one night and was upgraded to a larger room at the back of the house (I forget the number). The room itself was nice. Another reviewer mentioned the "proper coffee" and cafetiere too which was nice as were the complimentary chocolates. A bottle of filtered water was also provided which was nice. The bed was comfortable (I overslept!) and the room was spotless. The hosts were very friendly and in the morning, the breakfast spread was very good. They were offering home made bread (cinnamon and raisin I believe) and a good array of jams, cereals, fruits, yoghurt etc. I opted for a small cooked breakfast of bacon, scrambled eggs and tomatoes and these were cooked perfectly, a great start to the day. I will definitely return to the Telstar if I have to overnight in Exeter again as the hosts were really friendly (there also appears to be a very friendly resident cat!) I just regret that I didn't spend much time there!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jeff V
Reviewed 7 January 2014

This is a nice place in a quiet yet central location. The owners are very friendly and the rooms are nice. Very good vfm. Didn't have breakfast as I wasn't hungry but it looked very good. Good quality bathrooms and proper coffee in the bedroom, not just instant

• Stayed: January 2014