“Excellent value! ”
Review of The Telstar Hotel

The Telstar Hotel
Ranked #6 of 68 Exeter B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

Very friendly and positive experience. Rooms are clean, comfortable and usually spacious. All staff are very helpful. Breakfast is excellent and varied depending on preference, lots of choice. Parking can be tight due to limited spaces but I have never yet not been able to park, and the staff have always managed to find an adequate space, it has never been a problem. Excellent value for money and serves its purpose well. I would happily recommend the Telstar to others for business or otherwise. Great little place!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 21 April 2014

We just had a good 2 night stay here. The bedroom was compact but well appointed with comfortable bed, plenty of storage and all the usual bits and pieces you need - hairdryer, tea/coffee making, TV and free wi-fi. A bonus was the view across towards Dartmoor, and the little terrace with table and chairs to enjoy tea in the sun.
Breakfast had a good choice of cereal, fruit salad, yoghurts etc, very good cooked breakfast, toast made with a variety of bread, including home-made, and delicious home made jams. A real treat to start the day.
This hotel is well located for the town centre (10 minute walk) and St Davids Station, and has free parking.

Room Tip: Ask for one at the back, to be quieter and have the best views!
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Excellent stay. Lovely big old house, tastefully decorated and spotlessly clean. Staff were all very friendly and helpful. Breakfast is excellent, lots of choice and cooked to perfection. Room was large enough for two adults and two kids + five hamsters (we were attending a hamster show in Dawlish, hence the hamsters). Parking was not as bad as I had expected and I had no trouble parking an estate car. Near enough to the city centre/cathedral and quay area to walk to. Will definitely be booking to stay here for next years show.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

If you are looking for somewhere to stay in Exeter look no further , The Telstar is the perfect place and in a Great location just a 10 minute stroll into the centre of Exeter you just turn right when leaving the Hotel and its straight on into the centre ,while a 5 minute walk in the opposite Direction takes you too a nice wetherspoon's bar ( The Imperial ) a lovely building in huge grounds with plenty of outdoor seating very Handy for a drink meal or snack if you don't wish to go into the centre , the hotel is also just a ten minute walk from St David's Train station (uphill) . The Hotel itself is Great as are the staff and the breakfasts which provide plenty of choice from an omelette to a full English breakfast along with tea coffee toast cereals yoghurt and even a choice of home made breads to try if you wish , we had room 9 which is a triple room consisting of a twin room and a separate single room with a shared bathroom which we found just perfect , both rooms were furnished to a high standard and were exceptionally clean as was the bathroom , the beds were comfy and the shower was great ..we were provided with lovely soft white towels , TV, Hair dryer, a kettle with plenty of tea and coffee and a large bottle of water, I took the option of asking for a jug of fresh milk from reception ( a very nice touch ) as I hate the usual milk that is used . The hotel has free wi fi which works well and free parking at the back of the hotel on a small car park which is accessed via a small lane near the side of the hotel , don't worry if your parking skills are not too great in tight spaces as the owners will happily park your car up for you . all in all we couldn't fault this lovely Hotel we just wish we could have stayed for longer and we will certainly return when back in Exeter . So if you have found this review look no further go ahead and book yourself in to the Telstar you wont be disappointed and you would be hard pushed to find anything anywhere near as good as this and at very reasonable rates. Many Thanks to the staff at the Hotel for a very enjoyable stay hopefully we will return very soon .

Room Tip: We booked a triple room 3 single beds and were given room 9 which consisted of a twin room and a sep...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Needed somewhere for an over night stay near the University. The Telstar was extremely good. Rooms clean and tidy. Good shower. Excellent value for money. Breakfast room imaginatively, but tastefully decorated, with some nice quirky, individual touches. Excellent cooked breakfast in the morning, with a range of options and larger portions available, which impressed my teenage sons immensely. Fresh fruit salad, delicious home made jams provided and local produce used. Parking, though tight, was available and extremely useful. Staff all helpful and polite. Suited our needs exactly.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

I always have high expectations when i stay in a BnB and often wonder how i would do things if I were running the show.I left this place today thinking that I would do everything as these guys are doing it.

This long running family business has got nailed down, its now being run by the daughter of the original owner (apologies if i have this wrong) and everything is just right. Its modern without forgetting the classic essentials. The welcome, the ambience, the decoration, the customer service and most of all the breakfast are all spot on.

My partner and I are both in or 30s with no kids and stayed in the double en-suite room that overlooks the Exeter Countryside. We really enjoyed ours stay, would stay again and would recommend this BnB to friends and family.

Our stay did involve one problem that was out of the control of the owners and they handled it perfectly, sorted everything out in the right way and provided the right solution to the issue. Really well handled.

The rooms will always be small in a city BnB but our room had plenty enough space to be comfortable. The Wifi was excellent with full bars signal in our room and there were DvDs free to use in your room. The bathroom was small but very neat and clean with good tiling which really helps you feel as if they are making an effort, I will take this over a larger tattier bathroom any day of the week. Breakfast was great, there was too much selection and everything was tasty (and i like my breakfasts!!).

For the price your really can complain so its most probably harsh not to give it the 5 stars but as I said I always have high expectations. I'm mainly knocking a star off even though the bed was comfy and I had a great nights sleep but I would have liked a better mattress. Mine own at home is my ideal mattress so its harsh to compare but I am, sorry owners. I will say though if I find a BnB better than this for its price point I'll be very surprised.

If I were to give 1 bit of feedback it would be to change their cover photo on Laterooms. As when i first looked at the cover picture there, of just the sign and the the door, it put me off and I placed this BnB in a 'No' list as it looked tatty. When looking at Trip Advisor's cover picture of the whole building its a far better truth of the cleanliness of the property. If this BnB wasn't so far up the 'Places to stay in Exeter' list on Trip Advisor I would not have picked this place just on that photo alone!! Thank you Trip Advisor.

Room Tip: The Double En-Suite at the rear has its private balcony with great views and the area is not accessi...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We have just stayed a night at The Telstar in Exeter and it was lovely. We decided we wanted to do something different other than staying in one of the large chain of hotels Exeter has to offer. Probably inspired by watching 4 in a bed so we opted for this Victorian house hotel. We weren't disappointed. Everything we needed was on offer and we had a room that recently been decorated. The en suite was lovely and very tastefully decorated with modern but in period fittings. The bed was extremely comfortable and the room was large enough for our stay. It was a nice touch having filter coffee as well as a plentiful supply of tea bags. We asked downstairs for a jug of fresh milk (as suggested in the welcome folder) and the owners were more than happy to oblige. Also the wifi was free which was a bonus. The breakfast was lovely. We both had cooked and they catered for our fussy daughter with croissants. There was also many choices of cereals. The jams were all home made and were lovely. We were given plenty of toast too. Check in and out was an easy and pleasant experience. I thoroughly recommend this hotel if you are in Exeter and we will definitely be staying again in the future. Wish we had booked to stay longer...Thank you.

Room Tip: Parking is available and free of charge. The hotel is within 10 minutes walking distance of the city...