“Flushed with success - at last!”

and 1 more site!
The Clock Tower Hotel
Ranked #62 of 69 Exeter B&B and Inns
Richmond, United Kingdom
“Flushed with success - at last!”
Reviewed 4 May 2013

Flushing a toilet with a bucket of water is a useful life skill. I just hadn't expected to teach it to my kids on our weekend away. We had billed staying in a B&B as a bit of a treat: the reality was a little different. The toilet in one of our rooms did flush but totally ineffectually. The water gave a futile, lackadaisical gurgle. So we got busy with the waste paper bin and the ensuing tsunami provided the flush that the lever did not. I am sure we were just unlucky! My breakfast croissant was warm and flakily delicious and almost compensated for the temperamental plumbing. The location is great and the price reasonable.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Newbury
Reviewed 26 March 2013

I stayed at the Clock Tower on Friday and Saturday night whilst visiting my daughter and sister. The hotel is excellently located - even I could find my way to the centre of town with no problem. Check-in was friendly and efficient. My room was cosy and very clean. I'd found the rate for a single very reasonable and was quite happy with everything in my room, which overlooked the pleasant garden and was very quiet. Yes, the bathroom was tiny, but for this price that was to be expected - you get what you pay for. I was a bit disappointed to find the bed rather hard for me. Luckily there was a large, double-folded quilt on it, so I was able to sleep on half of this and cover myself with the other half. Again - I'd opted for a budget price, so no problem. There was plenty of choice on the breakfast menu, and the young lady serving it was very pleasant. She seemed concerned that I didn't order a great deal, and came up twice to see if I would like anything else. She was charming. It's very hand that the room key fits the outer door as well, because you can come and go as you please.

Of course the hotel can't dictate the behaviour of its guests, and I missed my breakfast on Sunday morning. This was because I was jolted awake in the early hours by the disgraceful antics of some guests attnding the UKIP conference, who barged in slamming doors and talking at the tops of their voices in the early hours. As a result I overslept and didn't wake up until 9.20. Checkout was quick and easy. The Clock Tower has a friendly, non-corporate feel - it's rather like staying in a large house rather than a hotel. I think it was great value for money, and I would certainly stay there again. I'd probably ask for a double room this time though, because the bed would be softer, and certainly ask for a room at the back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back, as they are quieter. Avoid the UKIP conference season.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2013

Check in was quick and friendly...especially the payment part !
I was put into room 31....3rd floor attic room...tiny and cramped...clean though. The shower is minute, toilet seat was wobbly and draw front fell off of the drawers. The TV and wifi didnt work for the first day of my stay. Bed was warm and comfy...not smelly...room was quiet.
Breakfast looked great but my appetite was ruined by waitress coughing and spluttering violently over the food and drink. It was hard to understand them also as they were not English speaking. I wish there was a more homely lounge to sit in and watch TV / read.

Room Tip: If you have mobility issues do not accept a 2nd 3rd floor room.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank jim d
Cardiff
Reviewed 8 February 2013

Stayed one night and it was ok, but not great. The room I had was tiny and the bathroom was, at best, snug. I constantly banged my elbows trying to put soap on in the shower. Also, my room faced front and was extremely noisy from the traffic.

Having said that, the staff were friendly, the room was clean enough and I had no major problems with anything. It's just that, for the price charged, there are perhaps better places nearby.

Room Tip: Don't get a room facing the road.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Scotland
Reviewed 28 November 2012

I stayed here for one night recently and would absolutely return.

There was a bit of a mix up with my booking but this was rectified straight away and I was given the key to my room. The gentlemen on reception also took the time to give me a map of the city centre and show me different places I could get something to eat. The front door is locked at 10pm but your room key opens the front door as well as your bedroom door.

The roo itself was comfortable enough. Plenty of storage, tea and coffee facilities and a TV. The TV was mounted on the wall at the bottom of the bed. An incidental point, but the TV was mounted quite high up so if you were lying down and watching it, you were limited on what you could see on the screen - the images looked like a picture in a negative format just because of the angle. It's fine however if you sit up against the headboard and watch the TV that way. A small point that shouldn't put anyone off booking here.

I was fortunate to get a room on the rear of the building with a lovely view of gardens and minimal noise from outside. The room was spotless and I was quite content in it.

Breakfast was lovely and more than enough to keep me going during the day. The young lady serving was very pleasant and kept asking if I needed anything else. The're plenty of alternatives available if you don't want the full English.

The hotel provides free wi-fi although I found it to be quite unreliable. It kept disconnecting but it is an old building and so I made allowances that the walls are perhaps too think for a good signal.

Finally check out was very quick and again pleasant. Checkout is at 10:30 but I didn't have to be at a meeting until 12 so I asked if I could sit for a little while in the lounge at reception. I was told this was fine. After about half an hour the lady behind reception asked if I'd like a drink or tea or coffee while I waited. Much appreciated!

All in all, a great little hotel which I would definitely use again.

Room Tip: Try and get a room facing the rear of the building. It's situated on a very busy road so the fro...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2012

The breakfast was good but a couple of the staff were very unhelpful. When asked for advice they said they either said they had to get breakfast ready or told me to speak to someone else.Customer Service training for staff is urgently required !

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank David W
Reading
Reviewed 9 September 2012

Just spent one night with my daughter at The Clock Tower Hotel prior to attending open day at Exeter University. The hotel is very conveniently situated for the university and the town centre. We walked to both. The male receptionist was pleasant on check in. I thought it a bit odd that I had to almost step over the vacuum cleaner that had been left outside our room, don't they have storage facilities for such items? When we opened the door the musty smell in the room was overpowering. The room was clean, I think they just don't open the windows to ventilate. My bed was unbearably soft. Every time I turned over in bed it shifted like it was taking part in a Mexican wave. I felt seasick by morning. Breakfast is served strictly until 09.30 not a minute later apparently! I arrived for breakfast at 09.20 and was told to wait for my table to be available. I was seated by 09.23 and explained to the waitress my daughter would be joining me shortly. I overheard her repeat this to another woman, in the kitchen area I guess. I could not see where she went behind the reception area. The other woman seemed very aggressive and replied "Doesn't she know breakfast is only served until 09.30", The waitress replied "it isn't 09.25 yet". My daughter arrived by 09.25 and our order was taken. This episode left me feeling very uncomfortable. Breakfast was ok, my daughter liked the hash browns. The woman with the aggressive sounding voice attended to several people checking out whilst we were eating breakfast, she continued to sound aggressive. Her manner is very harsh. The waitress and the night receptionist were very pleasant. I wouldn't recommend this hotel because of the room smell, the bed and the customer service of the aggressive sounding woman behind the reception area.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank leedslassie

Travellers are raving about these Exeter hotels