“A lovely break”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Exeter
Melbury Guest House
Ranked #59 of 69 Exeter B&B and Inns
Gloucestershire, England
“A lovely break”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Our 2 night stay in the St James Suite gave us the break we really needed. Ideally located for the centre of Exeter on foot, Harry's Restaurant and very easy to find. Breakfast was a treat, tasty and good portions. The accommodation was very clean, quiet and comfortable. The shower was one of the best I've experienced, plenty of controllable hot water. The four poster was so comfortable and being only 5 feet tall, a real challenge to get on to. There's currently a little refurbishment happening but we'd never have known it if our hosts hadn't told us. No noise or mess to cause any concern or inconvenience. We didn't book until late and were so lucky to have found this jewel that was excellent value too.

Room Tip: St James Suite is at the front on the first floor overlooking a small park. If you would like to us...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We stayed in st.james suite. Was a gorgeously laid out room kept very traditional. Bed was phenomenal. It is a high bed but you do get used to it. Staff were very welcoming. Excellent choice on the breakfast menu and the breakfast, although quite early, is well worth getting up for! Would say parking is restrictive and if you dont know area then ring Melbury beforehand as they know best. In terms of location it is a stones throw walk into town but it doesnt feel that close as its fairly quiet and not overly busy in surrounding areas.

• Stayed July 2013
Somerset
Reviewed 30 June 2013

From the moment we arrived, to the moment we left....
Lovely welcome, my case carried upstairs to a lovely room. (St James Suite).
Had asked for a bottle of bubbly as a surprise, and was there waiting...THANK YOU.
Very comfy bed....although I have to say, quite a high bed, and being short...I did ask for a step ladder!!
Brilliant nights sleep, lovely breakfast, and a wonderful garden to have a crafty cigarette in.!!
Excellent advice on where to go n what to see....even down to the lovely walk down to the Quay....and the uphill walk back!
Great local advice on where to eat, and prices too.
Everyone was friendly, informative, and a credit to the place, parking was easy...OK, you have to pay, but was right outside the door.
Oriental details were great, a really lovely place...I plan on the garden lodge next time....I so want that hot tub!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2013

A very comfortable guest house within easy walking distance of the City centre.
Well furnished rooms with a touch of oriental decoration in the staways and halls.
Excellent Breakfasts which were even served an hour early due to my special request
I only met one staff member in my week there and he was the breakfast chef and receptionist and was both friendly and helpful.
The room and bathroom were clean and tidy but with no bath.

This place is well recommended as is Harrys restaurant 3 minutes walk away but parking is dodgy as anyone who has been to Exeter well knows.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Wiltshire
Reviewed 3 March 2013

Stayed here for one night to go to the football in the afternoon and the city centre for the evening. Checked in at 2:00 and was greeted by a really friendly, chatty man who went through all the necessary info, most of which I was aware of because I'd read the previous reviews on here.

I had the single room (3) on the first floor and this is the one with an en-suite shower and the toilet a couple of steps along the corridor (although it's only used by the occupier of the single room).

Being a single room, it's obviously not that big, but as I only spent less than an hour awake in the room, it's not a problem. There was the usual tv with freeview chanels and a tea/coffee tray, plus a fridge which I could've plugged in had I been there for a longer stay.

The room overlooked the back garden, but nobody was using the hot tub as far as I could tell (well it was minus 1 overnight!)

I was given a breakfast menu which looked nice, but as I was catching the 8.00 train, I went without. Took about 15 minutes each way to the train - very steep for the first 5 minutes after the station and if it was frosty the trip down might not be too nice either.

All in all, a pleasant place to stay - hope I get the chance to go back next season, although whether it will still be a B & B then seems to be in a bit of doubt according to the man at check in

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank nige9359
Honiton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2013

We stayed in the lodge (the room with the private bar and hottub) and it was worth every penny.It was apart from the rest of the guesthouse so private and perfect for our annivarsary the hot tub was a perfect temp it was snowing when we stayed but we didnt even notice when sat in the hot tub. The staff were nice and helpfull and suggested a fantastic place to have a meal.Breakfast was perfect it wasnt greasy or swimming in own juices it was cooked just right and service was quite quick no waiting for ages between cereals toast and cooked breakfast. Best breakfast we have had . I would recommend the melbury to anyone .It doesnt look much from the outside but beautiful inside

Room Tip: the lodge with private hot tub worth a stay
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
WESTHAM
Reviewed 23 January 2013

had a nice stay the rooms were nice and comfortable and the staff were so friendly nothing was to much trouble and the manager bent over backwards to make my stay a special one full credit to all the hard working staff and the hot tub was a lot of lot of fun

Room Tip: book early
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo