“Wonderful setting - made me wonder why I every left Devon 40 years ago!”

Lower Thornton Farm
Ranked #19 of 74 Exeter B&B and Inns
Leicester UK
“Wonderful setting - made me wonder why I every left Devon 40 years ago!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

Though less than a mile as the crow flies from the day and night roar of the traffic leaving the end of the M5 and continuing on the A38 and A380 Plymouth and Torquay roads, Lower Thornton Farm nestles just north of Mamhead, the highest point of the rolling Haldon Hills, in almost complete silence. After negotiating the two or three miles of very narrow Devon lanes twisting and turning at least half a dozen times in their deep red rock and soil 'canyons' you are looking down on the Farm in its wonderful setting surrounded by sloping grass fields. As a disabled driver I was very grateful to be welcoming in the small car park by Charles, Alison's son, who had seen me arriving, and who carried my bag for me to a ground floor room just a few yards away. The bed and breakfast accommodation is a new building on an old farm site which has been designed very sympathetically, and built and fitted out to the highest standards. My room was excellent, well equipped and - of course - absolutely spotless. Charles offered me tea and biscuits in the spacious and attractive residents' lounge - very welcome indeed after driving for over four hours with only a short break in a typically bare and functional motorway services. Alison soon arrived and introduced herself and she and Charles made me feel very welcome. I was out all evening at a function in Exeter, but greatly enjoyed the really first class breakfast, individually cooked to order from a very wide-ranging menu of local fresh produce. It was great to then have an hour and a half before I had to leave to enjoy the views and wildlife outside, remembering with affection the time what I used to run outdoor natural history classes in this small but very distinctive area of Devon more than forty years ago....

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Truro, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2011

I agree with all the "excellent" reviews. We stayed in April 2011, when visiting Exeter for a show. What we hope for in a B&B is a fresh comfy bed and a clean room. Top marks for these, but so much more. The welcome with a cup of tea was an immediate bonus. The room was spotless, spacious and well-appointed without being over-the-top. Lots of touches too numerous to mention, for example we thought the refreshment tray was more interestingly and more generously stocked than usual. We decided to try and come back for a longer stay. Overall very good value and definitely recommended.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2011

I have stayed at the B&B about 10 times over the last 4 years and the service has been of the same excellent standard every time! The rooms are beautifully maintained and the breakfast is second to none!

All in Lower Thronton Farm is a brilliant B&B in a hidden and peaceful locationall and undoubtably one of the best B&B's in Devon, if not the UK.

I would recommend this to anyone!

(Please note that there is no swimming pool, however if there was it would be excellent!)

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2011

We were met by the owner, Alison as we arrived down a very narrow Devon lane. Incredibly friendly. Comfortable, large rooms. Beds luxurious, TV in rooms, fantastic shower, lots of facilities, coffee, tea, hot chocolate in rooms. Wonderful cooked breakfast. Beautiful views iver the country, pheasants in fields. It was so good to get away for a few days to such a wonderful farmhouse. Thank you

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2011

Yes, as others have said, you have to travel along very narrow country lanes to get to Lower Thornton Farm, but my goodness was it worth it! What a little gem. This place is lovely. It's set on a working farm, so you see the odd tractor when you arrive. But, worry not, if you aren't inclined towards mud and muck, don't worry, the B+B is separate to the farm proper, and you don't have to worry about bringing your wellies. Our bedroom was spacious, immaculate, with very tasteful decor, a large en suite bathroom, and a lovely double glass french door leasing onto a verrandah with views out to rolling countryside and distrant hills. The breakfast in the morning was served in a lovely room, and the food was just perfect. Honestly, one of the best B+Bs I have stayed in. Great place.

2 Thank lwefb
northern ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2011

My wife and I decided to stay here as we were visiting Exeter and wanted somewhere out in the countryside but still close enough to the city.
To reach the farm you have to travel along some extremely narrow country lanes but what greets you at the end is worth it. The accommodation is modern, extremely clean and in a lovely quiet and peaceful setting, apart from birdsong there is no other noise at all.
I had booked the groundfloor room with a 4 poster bed, the room was large and had patio doors leading out onto a terrace. The bathroom was also on the large side with a bath and shower fitted over it.
Tea & coffee making facilities, tv all the usual you would expect (no fridge).
On our arrival, Alison, the owner, greeted us with tea and biscuits, a pleasant surprise after our journey and a nice touch.
Breakfast was of a high standard with plenty of choice and more than enough to see you through to later afternoon (look for the quaint jam pots on the table)
The nearest village is Kenn which has an ancient pub and even older church, well worth stopping to see it as you pass through.
My wife, who can be very critical was extremely pleased with the accommodation.

Room Tip: Stay in the 4 poster room, a must for the experience.