“Shocking customer service”

and 1 more site!
The Edwardian
Ranked #51 of 68 Exeter B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 September 2011

I booked to stay at The Edwardian 4 months prior to traveling. When I arrived I was told that my booking had been cancelled because I did not arrive on the day their paperwork stated I was arriving. I had a printed confermation in my hand however this made little difference to the conversation. NO apology was given nor was any offer made to correct the mistake. On the contrary, i was told that I would be charged for the "late" day and that I could have a room if I paid extra to upgrade!!! Save yourself disappointment and money by NOT staying here!!!!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank Ben8272

Reviewed 10 May 2011

In the month that I stayed at the Edwardian in Exeter, I stayed at at least another 7 B&Bs in England and Wales. I discovered during my travels that often, the B&Bs provide better service than a budget hotel. This was certainly the case at the Edwardian. The location was easy to find. I am a big walker and by the time I had wandered out of the train station and into central Exeter, I discovered I was only another ten minute stroll from Heavitree Road and so I never used any public transport during my stay although there is a bus that runs right outside the B&B.

The exterior of the building looks a bit tired, with paint peeling in multiple places. I was greeted in a very friendly manner and always made to feel welcome. My room had a pleasant view of the back and was therefore quieter. The decor was quite dated but clean. I slept well and was greeted enthusiastically at breakfast.

In summary this B&B was probably the most dated and "older-fashioned" of those I stayed in during the past month but the price did reflect this slightly. The welcome was enthusiastic and the breakfast tasty. It was an easy walk into the town centre and only 20 minutes walk uphill to the university of Exeter. I would still recommend this guest house up to a certain price limit.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank trennt
Reviewed 21 February 2011

I had a lovely welcome after a long day of study. My room was on the top floor and had everything I needed for my night. The bed was comfortable with crisp bedding. The room was very clean and cosy. After a good sleep I went down for breakfast where it was no problem to toast my glutin free bread. It was very friendly service with the help of a little chap in his bob the builder jammies. Bless he was so sweet and staying with his grandparents for the holidays.
Overall this was a really nice place to stay and very close to shops and my course.
It does look a little tired on the outside but dont let that put you off because the inside and staff make up for that.
Will be staying again, and dont be put off by any bad reveiws because im glad I wasnt.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 January 2011

My husband and I live in Exeter so would not normally need accommodation in the city. However, we were without hot water and heating for 24 hours last month due to having a new boiler fitted so we booked into this guest house overnight.

Despite the outside walls being seriously in need of renovation, the bedroom was fine and the bathroom clean - lot of stairs up to the room, tho' - don't know if there was a lift? The main reason I'm writing this review is to praise the excellent cooked breakfast! There were seven or eight items that you could have; my husband and I wanted different ones omitted and the waitress got the order exactly right. The sausages and bacon were of good quality and everything was hot and tasted spot-on! There was ample toast; the marmalade came in a good old glass dish with a spoon and actually tasted of something, unlike those individual portions that seem to be everywhere these days! Can't remember when I've had a nicer B & B breakfast; made the stay excellent value at £32.50 each. Well done you!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2010

'The Edwardian' guest house is excellent! it's quiet, charming, clean & comfortable & the breakfast is fantastic! My disabled mother & myself stayed for a 10 day break, whilst extensive work was carried out on her bungalow. The owners, Jackie & Mike were kindness itself, & Mikes humour was a tonic! Their thoughtful care was endless! They had previous to our visit informed us of a wonderful scheme run by the 'Red Cross' in Exeter, whereby we could rent a motorized wheelchair for her, & we hired one. Mike & Jackie gave us tourist brochures & information on places to visit, & personal recommendations on restaurants & places to eat. Exeter is a beautiful city, & a very 'disabled friendly' city, every one was so accommodating. The bus company make travel for the disabled using wheelchairs possible & we found most bus drivers friendly & very willing to help us. Jackie & Mike & most people we met or had dealings with, made our stay in Exeter a wonderful experience! I would recommend 'The Edwardian' guest house to one & all! Thakyou!

• Stayed: September 2010
Reviewed 18 May 2010

Stayed for one night alone as a late addition to a stag party, everyone else in Jurys up the road but there was no room for me there.
Website price for single was £65 but I booked thru lastminute.com and only paid £35, and also saw it on another site for £40, so would advise not booking direct as agents seem to have secured better deals...
Arrived at hotel at 16:45 and was told my room was not quite ready!
What had they been doing all day. I had to wait in the dining room for 10-15mins whilst they finished the room. Was shown to room, rear facing and quiet. Room was clean and well furnished. Never saw owners again.
Had to run taps and shower for a long time to get hot water out.
Bed was banana shaped, seemed to sink in the middle quite badly, and was very creaky, as were the floorboards, it was like walking about the deck of an 18th century galleon!
Did not make it to breakfast due to hangover, although did see the sign in reception mentioned in another review that states it is served 8-9am which seems quite limited.
All in all if you get the right price its not a bad place to stay at all.....

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 October 2009

Booked online (of course money taken), day before told room not available would have to have cheaper room. Too late to change. Refund yes, and goodwill gesture NO.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple