“Nobody home”

Ranked #51 of 69 Exeter B&B and Inns
London
“Nobody home”
Reviewed 15 October 2011

I booked to stay for four nights in this bed and breakfast via Expedia. I was unable to arrive on the day, but I called and explained that I had been delayed, I fully expected to pay for the first missed night, and that I would arrive the next day. This was agreed by the person I spoke to.

I arrived at the B&B at 4pm the next day. I rang the bell and there was no answer. There was a notice on the bell which said that if nobody was in, the entryphone would divert to a mobile and someone would be there as soon as possible.

I rang the bell around 15-16 times over the course of the next hour and it kept going to voicemail. Nobody called me back. I am disabled, it was pouring with rain and there was no shelter. After an hour of this I made a reservation at a proper hotel over the Internet and made my way there.

I called Expedia to explain what had happened and request a refund for the remaining three nights. Strangely, they were able to get hold of the owners of the B&B within ten minutes. These people suggested that I should come back and someone would be there within thirty minutes. I was in no state to do so, and frankly was not inclined to even if I had been able to.

Then Expedia informed me that the hotel had a cancellation policy and that they would take full payment for the four nights. I explained that this was entirely inappropriate as they had not made the service available so under normal consumer protection legislation they would have to refund my money. They then had the cheek to suggest that I should have rung to agree an arrival time! They are supposed to be a HOTEL. I said that arriving at 4pm for a stay in a hotel was hardly outlandish or unreasonable.

The hotel then claimed that there had been someone there for the previous hour (which would have included the last half hour of my waiting outside) but that nobody had rung the bell. This was an out-and-out lie. Nobody, owner or guest, came in or out of that place in the entire hour I stood there. And I rang the bell 15-16 times and left at least ten messages.

Eventually Expedia managed to get them to agree to refund two of the four nights.

Obviously, I never got inside the hotel so I cannot say what the service or accommodation is like. If it is like the outside of the hotel, it is tired and badly-maintained. If it is like the reception, it is appalling.

Do not reserve this hotel unless you like standing in the rain for an hour, being lied to or being ripped off.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank LondonCapulet

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Nowra, Australia
Reviewed 14 October 2011

Not the most attractive premises externally but its rooms are well appointed and comfortable and it's a fairly easy walk to the heart of the city. And what a beautiful city!
Service, from reception and tourist advice through to breakfast was very good, as was breakfast itself.
I have no qualms about recommending this one.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TwoofOz
Valencia, Spain
Reviewed 5 September 2011

I booked to stay at The Edwardian 4 months prior to traveling. When I arrived I was told that my booking had been cancelled because I did not arrive on the day their paperwork stated I was arriving. I had a printed confermation in my hand however this made little difference to the conversation. NO apology was given nor was any offer made to correct the mistake. On the contrary, i was told that I would be charged for the "late" day and that I could have a room if I paid extra to upgrade!!! Save yourself disappointment and money by NOT staying here!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank Ben8272

Travellers are raving about these Exeter hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2011

In the month that I stayed at the Edwardian in Exeter, I stayed at at least another 7 B&Bs in England and Wales. I discovered during my travels that often, the B&Bs provide better service than a budget hotel. This was certainly the case at the Edwardian. The location was easy to find. I am a big walker and by the time I had wandered out of the train station and into central Exeter, I discovered I was only another ten minute stroll from Heavitree Road and so I never used any public transport during my stay although there is a bus that runs right outside the B&B.

The exterior of the building looks a bit tired, with paint peeling in multiple places. I was greeted in a very friendly manner and always made to feel welcome. My room had a pleasant view of the back and was therefore quieter. The decor was quite dated but clean. I slept well and was greeted enthusiastically at breakfast.

In summary this B&B was probably the most dated and "older-fashioned" of those I stayed in during the past month but the price did reflect this slightly. The welcome was enthusiastic and the breakfast tasty. It was an easy walk into the town centre and only 20 minutes walk uphill to the university of Exeter. I would still recommend this guest house up to a certain price limit.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank trennt
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2011

I had a lovely welcome after a long day of study. My room was on the top floor and had everything I needed for my night. The bed was comfortable with crisp bedding. The room was very clean and cosy. After a good sleep I went down for breakfast where it was no problem to toast my glutin free bread. It was very friendly service with the help of a little chap in his bob the builder jammies. Bless he was so sweet and staying with his grandparents for the holidays.
Overall this was a really nice place to stay and very close to shops and my course.
It does look a little tired on the outside but dont let that put you off because the inside and staff make up for that.
Will be staying again, and dont be put off by any bad reveiws because im glad I wasnt.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Exeter
Reviewed 24 January 2011

My husband and I live in Exeter so would not normally need accommodation in the city. However, we were without hot water and heating for 24 hours last month due to having a new boiler fitted so we booked into this guest house overnight.

Despite the outside walls being seriously in need of renovation, the bedroom was fine and the bathroom clean - lot of stairs up to the room, tho' - don't know if there was a lift? The main reason I'm writing this review is to praise the excellent cooked breakfast! There were seven or eight items that you could have; my husband and I wanted different ones omitted and the waitress got the order exactly right. The sausages and bacon were of good quality and everything was hot and tasted spot-on! There was ample toast; the marmalade came in a good old glass dish with a spoon and actually tasted of something, unlike those individual portions that seem to be everywhere these days! Can't remember when I've had a nicer B & B breakfast; made the stay excellent value at £32.50 each. Well done you!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2010

'The Edwardian' guest house is excellent! it's quiet, charming, clean & comfortable & the breakfast is fantastic! My disabled mother & myself stayed for a 10 day break, whilst extensive work was carried out on her bungalow. The owners, Jackie & Mike were kindness itself, & Mikes humour was a tonic! Their thoughtful care was endless! They had previous to our visit informed us of a wonderful scheme run by the 'Red Cross' in Exeter, whereby we could rent a motorized wheelchair for her, & we hired one. Mike & Jackie gave us tourist brochures & information on places to visit, & personal recommendations on restaurants & places to eat. Exeter is a beautiful city, & a very 'disabled friendly' city, every one was so accommodating. The bus company make travel for the disabled using wheelchairs possible & we found most bus drivers friendly & very willing to help us. Jackie & Mike & most people we met or had dealings with, made our stay in Exeter a wonderful experience! I would recommend 'The Edwardian' guest house to one & all! Thakyou!

• Stayed September 2010