“A fine place to stay in Exeter”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Edwardian

The Edwardian
Ranked #49 of 74 Exeter B&B and Inns
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“A fine place to stay in Exeter”
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Mike and Jaqui are very friendly and helpful. We immediately felt welcomed and cared for. The breakfast is delicious and substantial with lots of choices. Currently the owners are doing significant updating of the furnishings and wall covers and based upon what is completed, the house will be even more attractive when done. Our rooms were comfortable and unaffected by the work in public areas. The shower can be a little quirky; ask for instructions on how to control water temperature.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side are quieter.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Burton on Trent
Reviewed 15 June 2013

This picture is quite old and the Edwardian (Heavitree) is now cream with not so many flowers on the outside. Extremely friendly place to stay, great breakfast and 5 min walk from town. All amenities provided and rooms cleaned every day with fresh towels provided.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2013

I struggled to find the B&B as I was looking for the 'Heavitree Guesthouse' but the B&B still had its old signs out so it was called the Edwardian. When I arrived at the Guesthouse I was several hours early, but the lady on reception was extremely friendly, offered to carry my bags to my room. The decor was a little dated but I would settle for dated decor if I had a comfortable bed and the Guesthouse was clean, which it was. I found the bed very comfortable and I had a good nights sleep.

When I went down for my breakfast I was met with a friendly and welcoming greeting and shown to my table. I was offered to choose anything from the breakfast bar and then asked If I would like a cooked breakfast. The breakfast was lovely and the only comment I would say is that maybe it would be good to have a menu of the choices you have available for the cooked breakfast. I would definately stay at this Guesthouse again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
London
Reviewed 1 May 2013

We arrived at the parking behind the B&B around 3.00pm, we rode our motorbikes so we needed to make sure they would be safe, the parking is secluded from the main road, which is perfect!
We were greeted by Jaqui, the owner, a very friendly lady, that allowed us to come through her home, to show us the facilities and our room. The room in the top floor, was clean and perfectly decorated, small shower room (but we don't need anything more)
She had prepared maps, flyers and info and laid it out on top of the bed with all the things to do. Was very thoughtful.
We enjoyed Exeter a bit and at night we just heard a bit of traffic as our room was in the front of the building.
In the morning, between 8-9 was breakfast :0) my favourite part in this case. I usually do not finish my full English as it is too much and mostly too greasy, but this one, at the Edwardian was so beautifully done that I finished all, including the sausage! The bacon is locally source, and it tasted divine!
Check out was around 10-10.30am, Mike informed us that we could leave our things in the b&b, go for a last stroll around the city and then just get changed for our trip to London.
We will definitely come back and I will recommend this b&b to anyone who is passing by Exeter :0) thank you Jaqui and Mike!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Chinita-Kuba
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2013

The hotel is in a brilliant location about 5 mins walk from town. Found it difficult to find hotel in the dark but think that was because the sign at the front was not lit. Car park difficult to find as well especially as there is no sign to indicate it is down the single track. Hotel decor is quite old fasioned and there are the owners personal posessions throughout. As previously mentioned beds are sheets and blankets and not duvet which is unusual. Room 15 good size but near the grand clock in the hall way that goes off every hour on the hour so if you are a light sleeper ask for a different room. Room 15 is also on the route from kitchen to breakfast room so when other guests are greeted for breakfast you will be woken if not awake already. On returning to my room I was a little put off my the amount my stuff had been moved in making it look tidy. suitcase put away in cupboard, a t-shirt that I had left on the floor bagged and put away and scarves hung up. For some people who stay may love this but I found it a little unsettling. I also requested that the four bedside lights not left on for my return because although it looked nice I thought it was a waste of electricity and wasted on me. There did not seem to be any coffee in my room but to be fair I did not ask for it. Hosts (I presume owners) were very friendly.

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2012

Stayed here for one night on the way to Cornwall. Perfectly situated in Exeter - walking distance from shops, restaurants and the cathedral. The room was very neat and tidy, had everything we needed. Great breakfast, everything cooked to your liking! The B&B is a little bit out dated, but its great value for money.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2012

Staff were very friendly and helpful.
Breakfast was good although they only serve from 8am, when I mentioned that I needed to be out fairly quick they did hurry things up for me, which was great.
Decor is very traditional with lots of attention to detail - bit like stepping back in time.
The room and ensuite were very clean and tidy, although the shower was a bit cramped and outdated and although the water flow was good the shower head was blocked.

Room Tip: I had a lovely large room at the front of the house, which was a bit noisy as it's on the main r...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business