“Brilliant alternative hotel”

and 1 more site!
The Edwardian
Ranked #51 of 68 Exeter B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Firstly i feel people have to remember this is not a chain where the standard is consistent this is a family run hotel and therefore more intimate and friendly than maybe some people are used to. I had a weekend course and was looking for somewhere near to the Jury's Inn (where my course was) without paying the 95 for the Jury's Inn.
I found the Edwardian which is less than 3 minutes walk from the Jury's and Vue Cinema. I was given an outdoor key and room key and everything was fine. The room was the top floor and although a little noisy at night you have to remember this is Saturday night in a student city!
Room was spacious and the vintage decor lovely.
Breakfast was varied and I was offered any cooked breakfast I wanted too which added to the brilliance.

Would definitely stay here again

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Tom L
There are newer reviews for The Edwardian

Reviewed 7 June 2014

On arrival, there was no answer at the door. I telephoned the hotel after which the owner came to the door.

My room was an average size, however the sink was separate from the bathroom and on the other side on the room. Shower was not very powerful. The room had no desk or chair. Although there were many sheets and blankets on the bed, I was very cold during the night and unable to adjust the radiator as it was not switched on. My room faced the road outside which meant I could hear the traffic throughout the night.

The in-room kettle was filthy. The heating element was covered in a black and green layer.

Breakfast was nice. Offered to cook anything I wanted, however everything tasted like they only used the really cheap ingredients.

Having paid £58 for a single occupancy room and reading the other positive reviews, I was expecting something slightly nicer.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank BB90
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Stayed for 2 nights whilst visiting my son at the University. He lives 2 minutes down the road on foot, that is why I chose the location. Could have stayed at the Jurys Inn for a little less but have a personal policy of using and promoting independent/private businesses. Was really pleased that I did as my welcome was friendly, attentive and professional. Jackie (the owner) could not do enough to make my visit comfortable and memorable. Breakfast was included. There was a wide selection of cereals, fruits, yoghurts etc, along with a traditional breakfast, that I could not fault. Jackie was also happy to feed my son as an 'extra' and nothing was too much trouble.
Would definitely stay at 'The Edwardian' again and am 100% happy to recommend it.
Good luck to them with their continued improvements and success in the future. :)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank lesley g
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We stayed here a few nights to attend a wedding. The location is perfect, especially for anyone arriving from the coach station, but Exeter Central is also only about 20 mins walk away. It's literally around the corner from the Jury's Inn so if you're torn between that and this place, I'd take this one.

Free wifi, very comfortable bed and a lovely warm room greeted us. Minor - very minor - gripes: it'd have been nice to have a choice of teas at breakfast and in the room; the teabags on the tray in our room were unlabeled so we had to do a bit of a sniff test to work out which to have! Breakfast was very nice - they'll cook you anything you fancy, plus there's a buffet of yoghurt, fruit, tea/coffee and cereals.

The only thing that stops me giving this place 5 stars is the shower in our room. It worked but that was about all that one can say for it! You had to crank the lever all the way round to get hot water, and showering at tea time on our arrival, I had to wait a good few minutes for the water to warm up at all! The pressure was pretty bad and you couldn't angle the showerhead so if you're the wrong height you may have problems! Bathroom was clean and the rest of it had clearly been overhauled in the past few years, which was why it was a bit surprising they hadn't chosen to do up the shower as well.

Overall though, definitely a good place to stay and I'd gladly return there.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Tango_tastic
Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

Visited this guesthouse in August for a weekend break in Exeter.
There are currently some works going on, plastering etc, which caused no problems during our stay.
It is very much like a traditional B&B, and whilst not my taste with regard to decor and ornaments etc, added to the charm of the place!
Room was good, top floor with good views. Good in room facilities, although en-suite was quite small, but more than adequate.
Breakfast is excellent, choice of fruit and cereal followed by cooked and tea/coffee.
Hosts are friendly and could do no more to make us feel welcome.
Parking is limited, and was disappointed that even after email requesting a space and having confirmation, one was not available - maybe be better to be clear first come first served from the outset.
To that end, parking is free in some roads after a certain time and there is local public parking at a cost nearby.
Close to town centre and easy to reach m5.
Would stay again!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 25 July 2013

I am amazed reading other critiques that people found this place friendly. We arrived last evening to find no one at home and on phoning the mobile number on the front door was told where to find the keys and let ourselves in. We did not meet up with anyone in the building until this morning when a woman (who?) put her head around the dining room door and said she'd get someone. We left without meeting the proprietors. The house is ornate and heavily decorated but I was very grateful for the good mirror and lighting in the bathroom. A rarity. The breakfast buffet was laid out well and with a good selection. Would I go again? No. Would I recommend it? No. At £98 for one night I expected better hospitality.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank The2ps
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Mike and Jaqui are very friendly and helpful. We immediately felt welcomed and cared for. The breakfast is delicious and substantial with lots of choices. Currently the owners are doing significant updating of the furnishings and wall covers and based upon what is completed, the house will be even more attractive when done. Our rooms were comfortable and unaffected by the work in public areas. The shower can be a little quirky; ask for instructions on how to control water temperature.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side are quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family