“more a pub than a restaurant”

The Fat Pig Freehousej
Ranked #59 of 530 Restaurants in Exeter
Price range: US$7 - US$36
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“more a pub than a restaurant”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Greatly enjoyed this pub for the home brewed beer, service and atmosphere. An old pub in a back street part of Exeter but worth finding.

Didn't eat and didn't strike us as the sort of place to eat really, but if you like good beer this is the place to go, for food try the sister pub The Rusty Bike, much more of an eatery.

• Greek first
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Delicious Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

This was the first time of visiting the Fat Pig but we will definitely go back when we next go to Exeter. We had the roast lamb which was absolutely divine - plenty of tasty traditional and well cooked veg, loads of meat and lashings of gravy. The staff were friendly and chatty and we were made to feel very welcome. I love the name of the pub too! Would love to go back here in the winter and sit by the open fire - such a cosy pub. Loved it.

Gloucester
“Fantastic food and drink”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

One for Real Ale fans - they brew their own beer in the cellar, many of which can be found on their "beer menu". The food was varied and excellent, especially the smoked selection.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Mike H
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Don't want your money”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I visited with a friend on Saturday night just after 10pm but was told "we're closing as it's been quiet". There were 6 other customers in the pub. I like this pub even though the staff tend only to engage with those they know, rather than infrequent customers (infrequent customers are the raw material for frequent customers of course). Very disappointed but their competitors were open so we found other publicans who were happy to take our money.

3 Thank BreffniHugh
Exeter, United Kingdom
“A bit disappointed”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

After lots of people told me how great this place is I have to say I was a little disappointed. Uncomfortable benches/stools are not conducive to having a leisurely meal, portions were a little on the shy side (the buger my colleague had was the size of a jaffa cake) and my mussels are the worst I have ever had, way too much salt (and I am a salt fiend) and very overcooked (to the point of mush in a shell). The bread we ordered to start with was two small, thin slices of white bread with a pot of oil but the Olives were plentiful and tasty. May or may not go back, it will depend on who does the booking. I have had a lot better.

• Visited July 2014