“Over night stop”
Review of Blue Ball Inn

Blue Ball Inn
Ranked #11 of 68 Exeter B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We stopped here on our way home, quite late .The staff were very helpful ,taking our order for a light meal as the kitchen would be closing very soon , we had king prawn risotto with muscles, which was served freshly made [not a ping and ding dinner] and tasty. they were friendly and even looked up the test match score for my husband ! The room was very clean ,shower was powerful and refreshing. It makes a good over night stop , will stay again if we have an early flight or late arrival , nice and convenient for the airport.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 July 2013

We stopped here for the night during a house hunting tour of the area. We booked at the very last minute and were not expecting a lot at the price. How wrong we were,the room was clean modern and well equipped,the bathroom especially and a great power shower.

We ate in the pubs restaurant and we were again pleasantly surprised. The food was excellent and the service very friendly and attentive without being intrusive. Again,like the accommodation,good value for money. Thoroughly recommended for a one night stay or a base for investigating the locality.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2013

We stayed here 18th July and after reading some of the reviews I must say that we were pleasantly surprised by the rooms. My wife and I had room 1 and my mother in-law had the `dreaded` room 3.
We had a lovely evening meal, the service and the meal were both very good and so was the choice of ales.
The next morning, after a good and comfortable nights sleep, I prepared to face the mother in-law,my mother in-law does not hold back, and this had the potential for ruining the day!
Not a murmur of complaint, in fact she had enjoyed a thoroughly good nights sleep and had nothing but good things to say about her experience at the Blue Ball Inn.
I would recommend this Inn for any one who wants to stay near to Exeter.

Reviewed 19 July 2013

We come here quite regularly for lunch and in general we like the food and service. However, today the service was very slow with only one person serving (we were told that this was due to a party of 13 that had pre-booked). This is a pub that could serve a very large number of guests so I do not believe that is a valid excluse (plus they had 'pre booked'- what is there to do other than put the food out). Normally there are two or three people at the bar and we can get service relatively quickly.

Next I ordered from the 'daily specials' to be told that they had run out (at 12.20!) - not really a 'daily special' then is it.

Remember who your customers are - we have a choice to go elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Clarker63
Reviewed 18 July 2013

The Blue Ball Inn - when you find it in St Mary Clyst and NOT Sandygate - is a real value for money find. The welcome was warm and friendly, and Giles went out of his way to make sure we we were settled comfortably. For £60 for a triple room, and although the room was small and the third single bed mattress could have done with replacing, this was a good stay and we all slept well. The evening meal was excellent - all ingredients are locally sourced and the steaks, the rocket salad and the squid were excellent and beautifully cooked. The shower door did not close perfectly and the room overlooked the back yard and the carpark, but we have no major complaints and would recommend this inn without hesitation.

Room Tip: Excellent value for money
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Having read recent reviews must before arriving, I was slightly worried, when we were given the key to Room 3. In fact it was better than expected. Yes, the room is small, and the motorway could be heard through the open window, but as an overnight stop two minutes from the M5, it was good value for money. Biscuits were provided with tea/coffee, something we don't always in budget chain hotels. Shower was powerful and the bathroom was clean. All in all therefore, better than expected

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Stayed with my daughter from 5th July to 8th July as attending family wedding. The main lights failed to work, daughter banged her leg on bed, resulting in huge bruise on her leg, looking for another light. On Saturday morning getting ready for the wedding, hair dryer not working, requested replacement from staff, informed didn't keep spares and they would notify maintenance. Explained that going to wedding and after a lot of waiting told that could use recently vacated room. Not pleasant surroundings, hairdryer situated in bathroom, wet & soiled towels on floor, room not fresh. Due to time delay my daughter had to go to wedding with wet hair!! Our bathroom had tiles which had grouting missing therefore rough edges and one tiled was cracked across with sharp edges protruding. There had been a leak in the vanity unit and the cupboard was unusable due to it being water stained and wood beginning to rot. There was a dangerous height difference between bedroom floor and bathroom. Our room did not have a window only a velux sky light which you had to use a 6' pole to open and close it with.
The continental breakfast was a variety pack box of cereal and semi burnt toast. The nearest I got to the 'continent' was the packet of Alpine muesli!!
Despite complaining on Saturday there was no real response from staff. On Sunday I spoke with Giles the duty manager and showed him the problems in the room. He stated that he would contact the owners and request a partial or full refund. The owners' response was that my daughter and I could return at a later date and have 2 nights free - hardly think so!! or a refund for 1 night. I requested a 50% refund and Giles informed me that if I didn't hear back from him that evening it had been agreed. The following Tuesday I received a phone call from Giles to inform me that the owners had refused my request and he had therefore credited my bank account with 1 night refund. My response was that he had no right to do this. The health & safety issues have been reported to East Devon Environmental Health, all matters have been reported to East Devon Tourist information and lack of facilities have been reported to East Devon Trading Standards. According to the tourist information The Blue Ball Inn is not registered with them so is not inspected and approved by them. This is an important point for people to note because there is nowhere really to address general complaints as the owners are not on site and obviously from my experience not interested in customer satisfaction, just money!!