“Yummy food! But one rude worker”

Tyepyedong Noodle Bar
Ranked #55 of 546 Restaurants in Exeter
Price range: US$9 - US$28
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese, Japanese, Fusion
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend just arrived from a long coach journey from london and thought to come here for our lunch, arrived in the restaurant about 2:50, 1 minute of checking the menu the older asian lady came up to us to get our order which we weren't ready yet, so we politely told them to give us a couple more minutes and she rudely said ok but we are closing at 3! Pointing at her watch making us feel hurried, we thought why did they still accept us when they're going to close but when he lady left the other worker young lady came up to us and politely explained that they close at 3 but we can still stay inside.
Other than that the food was amazing, too bad we missed the lunch menu because its very cheap! Will come back for that :D

Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Love this place - authentic pan-Asian food. Wagamama built an empire copying places like this. Lovely food, good service and pleasantly informal.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

I come here regularly either to eat-in or get take out. The food is always good. It's a simple and unpretentious place. The prices are low. The service is friendly and your food is prepared fast. There's basically nothing not to like.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

I went in here for a quick dinner after work-I generally like asian food and the place smelled delicious from the outside. It is very much like a standard noodle bar inside with paper placemats and long wooden tables and benches. A little on the dim side inside, but there were a few people sat eating.
I was seated quickly by one of the young staff and given a menu. I ordered a beer and a Tyepyedong Chilli ramen which is supposed to be a spicy mixed meat and fish stir fried noodle dish. The dish turned up far too fast for my liking-I'd only just had my first mouthful of beer. I know noodle bars pride themselves on being fast and fresh but this was ridiculous.
The dish looked much wetter than previous chilli ramen I've had, although the serving was an ok size. The wasn't presented with any great finesse-more just thrown into the bowl. The first mouthful was incredibly disappointing. The meat was chewy and poor quality, the noodles were sloppy and the bright red sauce tasted more italian than asian-there was nothing remotely spicy about it and it really did look and taste more like a cheap pasta sauce. There were more carrots in the dish than meat and fish combined (I counted 4 prawns) and to be perfectly honest it tasted awful. The meal was over £9.00 but felt distinctly cheap. Very disappointed.
The only good point I can think of is that the young staff were really polite and well presented. Not enough to convince me to try it again though.

1  Thank Amyce24
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I must have lost count as to how many times I have been to Tyepyedong.

My boyfriend and I will often visit Tyepyedong on a weeknight or on a Saturday lunchtime for their lunch special. Customers may well miss out as it's a little beyond the popular high street however it is worth the extra 50 yards to get there.

I'll usually go for the very popular 'Wondering Dragon' as this provides an excellent mix of chicken, beef and prawns alongside stir fried capsicum, peppers and chilli in a rich, garlic and black bean sauce. Whilst my boyfriend varies between the tangy 'Spicy Garlic Chicken' or 'Tyepyedong Soup' which is a great choice for a cold evening.

The portion size does not vary between lunch and dinner therefore the lunch special is great to try new things as the meal is usually cheaper by £2 or £3 and also includes a soft drink - however a 'coke' for example at lunchtime is usually poured from a plastic bottle as opposed to ordering an additional 'coke' which is served in the traditional glass 'coke' bottle.
I often switch the fragrant rice in my meal for a choice of noodles which incurs a surcharge of 50p.

This is a great place for quick, delicious food however don't expect to enjoy a leisurely after-dinner drink as Tyepyedong is only a small outlet with a quick turnover of customers.

I must say, I much prefer Tyepyedong's efficient, down-to-earth service and authentic fusion dishes compared to it's Princesshay counterpart, Wagamamas.