“Really not sure about the great reviews”

Conservatory Restaurant - Exeter
Ranked #11 of 524 Restaurants in Exeter
Price range: US$22 - US$34
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: For a taste of the Mediterranean without leaving the West Country look no further than Exeter’s The Conservatory. With huge windows obscured by white blinds, tall exotic plants and Swedish-meets-French countryside painted furniture you almost feel it would be a shame to call in after sunset. But come in for dinner and you’ll find yourself in an intimate and romantic setting perfect for that relaxed dinner to help you forget about bills, work and worries. Sail away on a culinary cruise through Europe as the menu takes you from Britain via France and in to Italy and beyond with plenty of local ingredients to keep the flavours fresh and delicious.
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Really not sure about the great reviews”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We've been meaning to visit this restaurant after reading good reviews on here - we decided to go to celebrate a special occassion and unfortunately were quite disappointed. The restuarant from the outside doesn't look much which is fine as the inside is nice and quirky. The service to begin was good however as the restuarant got busier, we did find we were were waiting longer for things…including a 45 min wait for dessert. The food was OK, not Michelin standard but then they dont claim to be - the first two courses were definitely better than the dessert (although there was a hair in my salad). I had the deconstructed tiramisu which was just a complete mess and looked like the kitchen had just thrown everything on to the plate (including half a can squirty cream - yuk). I really wanted to like this place but sadly it wasn't a great experience

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank louisella76

“Wonderful food!”
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

Wonderful food, fantastic service. Just a real shame that there were so few people in the restaurant to share in the experience. We had the scallops followed by the fillet steak and the plaice. Everything was hot and flavourful a fantastic meal. No room left for desert, but watching another table devour theirs was food enough!! Wine list was very good and the waitress staff supplied bottles of water too. Overall, an excellent evening. Thank you to The Conservatory.

• Visited July 2014
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Everyone should try this restaurant!”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

This is officially my favourite place to eat! And being as I love food (!) and eating out, that is a high accolade from me! We ordered from the 'Early Bird' menu, and I had the asparagus to start, and the Mediterranean Vegetables for my main course. The main was amazing! I lost count of the number of times I said how good it was- when I was there and on the way home (and the next day....!). Whilst I love my meat, I would order this again in a heartbeat.

I recommend this place to all my friends, as I know they would not be disappointed. Great service, great food and a lovely, relaxed atmosphere.

I am now thinking of an excuse to go back!

“Absolutely brilliant”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I visited this restaurant with some friends and my partner and had one of the best restaurant experiences of my life. Truly brilliant food and a great atmosphere. The courses had a nice gap between them and the service regarding drinks was superb. I genuinely cannot fault this restaurant, it's service, it's food and it's atmosphere were outstanding. By far Exeter's best restaurant.

Adelaide, Australia
“Surprisingly good despite first impression from the strret”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This restaurant does not look like it will be very promising or inviting when we walked past in the afternoon and gazed inside. Fortunately we kept the booking and ventured in later that night. The entry is deceptive with the actual dining room rather charming. We skipped entrees and had for main courses the Duck, Cod and Fillet Steak. We were all were satisfied with their choices. Desserts were quite interesting with a Turkish Delight Creme Brulee and Pear Tart with Liquorice Ice Cream proving to be good selections. Wine by the glass was good as well. Service was good although a little stretched toward the end of the night. Perhaps a little pricey for the country but all in all a good choice in Exeter and deserving of the generally high praise it has received.

1 Thank blues43