“Over priced - over rated”
Review of Jurys Inn Exeter

Jurys Inn Exeter
Ranked #11 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Newquay, United Kingdom
“Over priced - over rated”
Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed over night ready to travel to Exeter airport next morning. We payed 75.00 for room only. The room we were given was like a rabbit hutch - very small - and the shower was disgusting. Thick mold around the glass panel and tiles. We asked to be moved and the second shower was worse than the first. We asked the manager to take a look. He said it was wear and tear and couldn't reimburse us anything as the hotel was full! Whatever that had to do with anything we don't know! He gave us yet another room and informed us we were to be in the best room in the hotel - well - the only difference was a king size bed - which was t even made properly - sheets hanging out - etc and a bath with a shower curtain instead of a glass panel. Won't be staying here again.

• Stayed December 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Greek first
Hinckley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Thought I would try a Jury's Inn for this business trip to Exeter as I always thought they looked very modern and high standard.
After circling the building, before concluding that I would have to park in the NCP opposite, I got checked in OK, although when I got to my room the card wouldn't open the door, so I had to return to reception to get it reprogrammed. There was nothing wrong with the service at reception, it just wasn't particularly personable and the response I got when returning to say the card didn't work, was to keep the card away from mobile phones - although the card had been in my hand the whole time and my phone in a pocket.

The hotel doesn't have a lot really, the room I got was pretty small, but everything necessary. Food was nothing special. Not what I was expecting really from the brand on the website, but as a slightly nicer furnished travelodge, it was acceptable.

Room Tip: not a corner room
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank s22urf
Limoges, France
Reviewed 11 December 2013

The hotel is very close to Exeter’s main shopping area. It is a modern style building and has no real character. I was for me functional. The room had a double and single bed. The linen was white and crisp and the room clean. The room was well decorated but not well lit and that gave it a drab atmosphere. It had tea/coffee makings and toiletries in the en-suite. There was wifi throughout the hotel, useful if you want to use the internet whilst in your room.

Breakfast was a buffet and was adequate. The evening meal had two options, the bar or the restaurant. The menu appeared to be the same for both. During my stay I had three evening meals in the hotel and none were very good either in quality or presentation. The restaurant did not appeal as it looked drab. I found a place to sit in the bar which was generally busy and noisy if you wanted to work.

The reception staff were always very helpful but the male bar/restaurant staff liked to use the word ‘mate’ a lot which takes away the air of professionalism. If I had to use the hotel again I would search out good restaurants.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank mikewelham
NEW DELHI
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Booked for 3 nights and I am looking forward to move out on the 2nd day itself ! The rooms are very small for comfort, though the staff did change the room on request, however the room given later is also small compared to what other hotels offer. Had dinner at the restaurant which took my happiness completely away.... Haven't had a worse experience than this... Ordered a triple decker sandwich and couldn't finish even half of it because of the bad taste of something made half heartedly. The chips provided were soggy.... Over all a very bad experience at the restaurant.

• Stayed December 2013
3 Thank Travelhitravel
London
Reviewed 9 December 2013

It's a five minute walk from the shops of Exeter City centre, with an NCP car park opposite which will cost you £7 per 24 hours. The room was clean, the bathroom quite small but generally all the fittings were in good condition. I have three niggles though. Firstly, the room rate increased overnight from £77 to £102 forcing me to downgrade but still pay a higher price. Secondly, charging £5 per hour or £10 per day for wifi is in my opinion a cynical way of making the headline room rate look cheaper. Thirdly, the rooms have such fast and heavy door closers that you're constantly reminded of the comings and goings of other guests. I was woken at 2am by the thunderous slamming of a door and there must have been another half dozen before I finally got back to sleep after 4am. I understand fire regulations require them but there must be ways of adjusting them so they close more gently.

Room Tip: A higher floor facing the rear will have less traffic noise.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Emm C
Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night, last Saturday. Staff were very helpful, and even replaced the tv in our room due to the original one not working when we got there. Both girls on reception were more than willing to assist with any questions/directions etc and offered to print maps.
The room itself was dated, and the bathroom in particular was more like a Disabled bathroom with hand rails everywhere .... Even one that came down by the toilet..... Not what we were expecting and never had that in a hotel before.The paint was peeling off in places especially around the bath area where it was large sections and it was just not pretty if honest. First time of staying in a jury's inn and mixed reviews, if the decor was upto date then it would have been worth the price, and it is the cheapest we have stayed in for a long time but still expected better. But top marks to the helpful staff!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Stayed here on a Sunday evening, was disappointed that the restaurant was not open and this was not stated when I booked, but was offered the same food to be served in the bar on low tables, had previously stayed here and had a great meal, not the cheapest but was tasty, so this time we ate in town so it was their loss.
We had found the bar had ran out of many standard spirits and was poorly stocked.
I found the rooms to be very clean and modern with good lighting and comfortable beds, the shower and the bath are good, for a central hotel its a good stay.
The breakfast is also excellent here with a good selection of items.
wifi is not free, nor is parking but you can park across the road in the NCP for reduced rate.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple