“Sound stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Sound stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night for business and one further night for pleasure.

Room (double) was basic, it wasn't huge but adequate, and the room and bathroom appeared to be clean. Nice shower. Surprised there was no shaver socket though.

Contrary to a lot of the reviews I enjoyed the food in the restaurant when I ate there the first night. My only quibble is that not all the components of the dishes were listed, so my partner received two dishes containing an item he's allergic to! Luckily it's not a life-threatening reaction so he was able just to remove the 'offending' item and still eat the rest of the food - which seemed very nice to me.

The breakfast was also good (disclaimer: I didn't have the bacon). I've had better quality sausages but also much worse! And there is certainly a good selection and not stinting. The fried eggs weren't very warm but to be fair, I was quite late down. You can get a cheaper full English in town but as I wasn't paying for it myself on that morning it wasn't an issue and I certainly wouldn't say the brekky was overpriced.

Parking at £7 in the multi-storey seemed a reasonable charge and very convenient for the hotel.

Staff were cheerful and helpful; no complaints there!

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank littlewhitebear

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Greek first
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Location: Fairly central city centre, close to a cinema and some chain restaurants

Hotel public spaces: Generic chain hotel with very little atmostphere. Very bland, so ok for a business trip but not somewhere I would want to spend a holiday in.

Room: A very cold stark room with no personaility and bare walls. I was on the ground floor so was unable to use my room without closing the curtains as there was a heavy flow of people walking past and looking into my room which made me feel uncomfortable. Wifi was ok although did cut out several times. Bathroom was clean and

Service: The staff were helpful and friendly. In particular, Conner in the bar/restaurant was incredibly welcoming, knowlegable and personable and really helped to make an otherwise distinctly average stay, more enjoyable. The reception staff were also polite efficient and professional.

Food: There was a good selection on the menu and dish I had was quite tasty. There was a fairly good selection at breakfast of both hot and cold options, with the ability to order extra items at no extra cost.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on first floor or above for more privacy.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
2 Thank Anthony H
PLIMGR, General Manager at Jurys Inn Exeter, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Tripadvisor reviewer,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of Jurys Inn Exeter. We genuinely appreciate all feedback and use it as a constructive tool to continuously improve our service and offering to our guests.

Thank you sincerely for your kind comments regarding the staff, particularly Connor who is a pleasure to work with. Your feedback on breakfast is very welcome and our chef will be delighted.

I am very sorry to read your feedback about your room and would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly regarding this. If this would be appropriate my contact details are below.

Thank you again and I hope I may look forward to speaking with you soon.

Kind regards,
Elaine Mellotte
Elaine_mellotte@jurysinns.com
Mackay, Queensland, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

We are on a Cosmos tour and stopped in at this motel. We had dinner as part of our tour and Charlotte was our matre de. She was great. My husbands birthday and they made him feel special. They catered for the vegans and lactose free members of our group and the staff were great. The prices for wine was very high for Australia. Eg. Sauv blac was £7 a glass which makes it $14 aus. But besides the booze prices the staff were great. Rooms were average, clean and had everything you need. Thank you Charlotte for a good night.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Sandra J
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed in jury's as it was central to our plans for our weekend stay in Exeter. Close to Rail and Bus stations, short walk to city centre and close to football ground where we went on the Saturday afternoon. Bedroom was clean and tidy if a bit on the 'small' side. Shower and tea/coffee were good. Did not have a meal in the restaurant, but can not fault the breakfast, as very good selection. Bar ok.
Staff very helpful, and when asked if they knew a good Chinese restaurant nearby, came up with a very good suggestion which we used.
No car park of their own, so one across the road used at discount price of £7 for 24 hours.

Room Tip: Ask for room on east side and higher floors if you don't want a view of car park and post office...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
Wakefield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

I stayed at for 1 night in July 2014. On arrival the reception staff were friendly - joking that Exeter was usually sunny despite the torrential rain that accompanied my arrival! The room was clean and had air conditioning. The shower was good and the kettle was clean (I travel frequently and this is one of the first things I check!!).

The location of the hotel is great, just a 5 minute walk to the centre of town and although there is no parking at the hotel itself there is an NCP over the road and has reduced rates for the hotel £7 for 24 hours. When booking this still worked out cheaper than alternatives in the area that included parking and the car park really is just over the road so it's not a problem at all.

Having read some reviews about the food I had already decided to take myself into town for Yo Sushi so can't comment on the food but it is just a short walk to bars and restaurants so if you prefer to avoid the bar/restarant in the hotel it's not too much of a problem. I did have breakfast though which was good - plenty of choice and all decent quality.

Jurys Inn hotels are in my experience quite basic and this one was no exception, I have stayed in better and I have stayed in worse. All in all for the cost (I booked quite far in advance and paid about £65) this was good value and I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for our first time this summer and it was great. When we got there the people were lovely and happy to help. Our rooms were incredibly clean and tidy and the the beds were really comfortable. Also the breakfasts were wonderful. Over all, we had a great stay in Jury's Inn, Exeter

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Hull
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for business a few times and found it to be not too bad. Probably below the usual standard for jury's inns, as the rooms are very much like holiday express. The food is very basic with the usual such as burgers, chicken etc. I had steak and thought it was very mediocre.

Pricing is high for what you get and wouldn't be too happy paying if for personal use. The breakfast is the one good positive though.

Stayed October 2013