“MAGNIFICENT”

Description: EX5 1LQ
EXETER
“MAGNIFICENT”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

This place is an absolute gem. My wife and I visit regularly. It is clean and welcoming. The service is friendly but not remotely stuffy. Mark runs the place superbly. His food is absolutely fantastic. So tasty and always beautifully prepared. The wines are good too. The quality of this place is first class. We have eaten in a lot of establishments with big names and reputations and the vast majority of them fall short (and some of them a long way short) of the Green Door. Personally I find it hard to ignore the foie gras and the surf and turf but you won't go wrong with any of the dishes.

• Visited April 2014

Cardiff, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A treat for your tastebuds close to Exeter.”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

The Green Door at Woodbury provides the opportunity for diners to experience what is probably the best food in the locality. This little gem of a restaurant only seats about 20, with a further small room capable of providing private dining for a further 8. The quality of the food is excellent and, as all food is cooked freshly from base ingredients, the chef was happy to make changes to sauces etc. to satisfy the requirements of fussier customers.

We ordered our food and while we waiting for our starter were delighted when the waiter brought us out a delicious complimentary small pre-starter of lightly smoked fish moose with some olives. The different starters ordered by my wife and I were excellent, full of flavour and exquisitely presented. A complimentary Strawberry Sorbet full of flavour was served prior to the arrival of our main course to cleanse our palates.

I had selected fresh fillets of Brill cooked in garlic butter (instead of the lemon butter suggested on the menu) as my main course. Although portions may be considered small by diners with healthy appetites, the well balanced flavours made for an exquisite dining experience which more than adequately satisfied our hunger. Although by this time full, we almost forced ourselves to share a desert of Creme Brule just to satisfy our curiosity as to whether the chefs skills extended to the preparation of deserts. The Creme Brule was as good as I have sampled outside London. For the quality of food, prices were reasonable.

One downside is that the restaurant does not have any parking facilities and consequently diners must park on one of the nearby streets.

• Visited March 2014
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Delicious”
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I have driven past this restaurant for many years, having had a terrible meal with the previous owner. I recently took notice of a recommendation by a neighbour and booked a table for myself and my daughter. I am so glad I did! The welcome was warm and friendly, the food was faultless reflecting Mark's passion for high-quality local ingredients and there was an impressive wine list. We have been back and again the food was exceptional. Needless to say, we will become regulars!

• Visited March 2014
Rugby, United Kingdom
“Impressive meal”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Having walked past this small restaurant in Woodbury Village on many occasions we decided to give it a try. Why hadn't we done so before? I am still reeling from the surprise that was hidden behind the Green Door. The food was superb, locally sourced and impressively cooked. My husband travels the world and this was the finest meal he had eaten in a very long time and certainly the best we had eaten in Devon.
This is one chef who knows how to cook a steak to perfection and his seafood is perfectly prepared too.
We will be back again very soon.

• Visited February 2014
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Outstanding”
Reviewed 25 December 2013

Thank you to Mark and his team for the wonderful Christmas lunch which they prepared today. Excellent food beautifully presented and served. Lovely atmosphere and nothing is too much trouble for the staff.

Well done for once again enabling our family to get together for Christmas in what has been a difficult year for us as a family.

I would definitely recommend your restaurant to anyone who was visiting the area.

Wishing you all a very Happy Christmas and New Year.

• Visited December 2013