“Overnight in Exeter”

Ranked #33 of 68 Exeter B&B and Inns
Torbay
“Overnight in Exeter”
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We stayed one night here as we had an early appointment in Exeter the following day. I booked online the day before and on the day of arrival I received a phone call to say the room I had booked was unavailable due to a maintenance issue. Offered a £10 reduction and alternative room I accepted.
On arriving..... as previous reviews mentioned the place looked run down with the fencing and overgrown car park. Rooms were dated but clean and 'liveable' We asked about booking an evening meal and was told unnecessary, just walk in.
The Carvery....we walked in to queues of people waiting to drink and / or eat. We were told a wait of 20-25 minutes so we went to the bar. A queue of 10 people waiting to be served drinks resulted in another 15 minutes wait. The website photos depicting a clean, attractive buffet area for the carvery couldnt have been more misleading. The floor and side panel of the carvery was strewn with food waste. The queue at the carvery area was 20+ deep. Upon reaching the 'swap ticket for food' position the 'chef' asked me which meat I would like. When I said 'Beef please' he said it was still cooking. I asked him if I had to go to the end of the queue again and he disappeared briefly returning with a joint of beef. After several attempts to eat the roast beef I gave up and complained to the waiting staff. The meat was one huge piece of gristle. Our meal bill was cancelled and the restaurant manager apologised.

Room Tip: I would advise any potential traveller to avoid the carvery at busy times, the staff just cannot cop...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank paulstabb

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Had a pleasant stay here recently, rooms were nice and clean and the buffet breakfast was nice. Comfy bed, clean, modern television, clean bathroom, good value for money, very happy with the stay friendly staff too at reception and the bar,id stay there again no problem.

Room Tip: worth the money
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2013

For the price we paid represents excellent value. Not perfect, the room looked a little tired, only had one chair and as it was a very hot summers day we really sweltered in the heat, but if we wanted more we would expect to pay a lot more. We wanted a place to sleep during our journey and that is exactly what we got. Restaurant was very busy in the evening, long queue for the carvery.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Eastbourne, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2013

No name signs up so difficult to find. On arrival looked like a demolition site - surrounded by metal fencing. Overwhelming smell of damp/mustiness in corridors. Rooms very dated, wallpaper hanging off, rotten/mouldy window frames. One room smelled of cigarette smoke. Didn't stay!!

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jane D

Travellers are raving about these Exeter hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2013 via mobile

Must admit that this "hotel" accommodation is very dated and the entrance is particularly unwelcoming, with musty smelling corridors and plenty of steps to lug your bags down and up if you have a 2nd floor room, as we did. However, the room was clean and bathroom adequate although the door was difficult to open from the inside... Very little traffic noise and we both slept soundly. Cooked breakfast was available in monster portions but we had to ask for yoghurt and no fruit was available. One night was fine but we wouldn't have wanted to stay any longer. As a cheap and cheerful option, it's OK but nothing more.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Stayed 1 night in twin room. Facilities very basic. Breakfast ok but not great.
No information about surrounding area (we arrived late and wanted something to eat) and the hotel stopped serving before 10.30pm, we couldn't even get a packet of crisps from the bar.

• Stayed June 2013
Walton-On-Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2013

We had booked a short break in Dawlish but wanted to stay an extra night. As the site we had booked at was unavailable, we decided to take a room at the Exeter Arms hotel and carvery. On my booking form, I mentioned that I was disabled. When we arrived, we were initially given an upstairs room. I pointed out that I couldn't manage the stairs, so was then moved to a downstairs room, although this was the furthest it could possibly be from the facilities, and also down a short flight of stairs. I resorted to having to come out through the fire door, down two steps into the car park and have my husband drive me across to the carvery for breakfast. The hallways smelt musty and damp and were very drab and tired looking. The rooms looked ok, but were not at all disabled friendly. The shower was over the bath and my husband had to help me to climb over, which was not at all easy for me. The sink was so wide that it overhung the toilet and I had to sit on the toilet with one arm in the sink and the other on top of the toilet roll holder. The beds were comfortable, (we took a twin which was £10 cheaper than a double). The furniture was rather old. The bedside table had an integrated radio with a 'call' button on it! Not seen one of those for years! On the whole the room was clean, although there were cobwebs hanging from the ceiling. The view out of the window was the back of a harshly pruned spruce tree!

The grounds were a shambles, with areas blocked off with temporary fences, long grass and weeds and rubbish all over the place.

Breakfast was good, although when we called back at the carvery for breakfast on our way home, I asked if there was any more bacon and the server snapped at me "it's coming". The waitress got narky about a man wanting to sit in another area, and told me "I've just laid that area for lunch, I ain't bl**dy laying it again". Surely she would have to lay whichever table someone chose to sit at, so what was the difference?

I wouldn't go back, and certainly not to stay in the hotel unless they bulldozed it and rebuilt it. I've paid much less for much better. I just expected better from a hotel attached to a carvery.

Room Tip: I don't think they have any disabled rooms available. The two storey block is furthest from rec...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple