“Normal service resumed - Now recommended strongly”

Holiday Inn Express Exeter
Ranked #6 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Last year I wrote a 'poor' review and was invited back by way of an apology - last year was a bad one. I recently undertook the offer with reserved feelings. Arrival was good, reception staff very friendly, so far so good. Room was a bit on the small side but that was because the double sofa bed was used for my daughter. It was clean and well presented. The dining area and basically the whole building was exceptionally clean but I do have one MASSIVE point to tell anyone reading this review. I was staying over a Bank holiday weekend. The hotel expected 90 guests. They had 170. They performed miracles with the breakfasts and dining area. They regularly checked the levels of food and how hot it was. They were so busy keeping it ticking over, that I hope they were treated to a nice long drink afterwards. WELL DONE TO YOU ALL FOR THIS ALONE!!!!
I would now totally recommend this HIEX to all, but don't all rush at once as I would like to stay again next time I am in the area.

Room Tip: Check website and book executive room if available.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
MeghanWilliams, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Exeter, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2012

Dear Guest,

I am delighted that we have restored your faith in our Hotel! As explained your previous experience is not an experience that is delivered to our guests under usual circumstances.

We do have a limited area to accommodate our guests for breakfast however our fully trained team are ready to anticipate our guests needs and ensure breakfast is fully stocked and our guests are happy.

I have pass on your great comments to my team, they find positive commentsextremely motivating especially with the busy periods coming up.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Thank you again.

Debbie Hamnett

Write a ReviewReviews (1,212)

994 - 1,000 of 1,212 reviews

Reviewed 7 April 2012

stayed here for one night in march. contacted hotel prior to booking to ask how to get there using public transport and was given number of a local taxi firm which was very useful as park and ride had finished when i arrived in exeter. rooms very clean. nice breakfast. would stay again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
MeghanWilliams, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Exeter, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2012

Thank you for taking the time to leave here your comments for everyone to read.

It is great that our local taxi firm were useful, we do endeavour to use the same taxi firm for our guests to ensure a high service is met and any feedback is easily directed.

Thank you again for your great comments regarding your room and breakfast, all feedback is greatly appreciated and we are sure to share this with our team.

We look forward to seeing you again at Holiday Inn Express, Exeter.

Reviewed 5 April 2012

The hotel is centrally located for a trip to Devon. It's only 5 minutes drive from the M5 and very close to the airport. It's easy to visit Exeter City Centre with the park and ride situated right across the road. (Thoroughly enjoyed the museum!). Breakfast was very good with plenty of choice and the staff all very friendly and helpful. Great value for money for a family room which included breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Ideal location for the airport. Reception staff helpful and polite. Room was basic but clean and included what you needed for a short stay. Whilst there was a choice of pillows - soft or hard - they are cheap. Bed was comfortable enough. Plenty of parking and great pub next door.

Breakfast was a bit chaotic due to everyone arriving at the same time - however, the food was adequate and there was enough choice.

Not a luxurious stay by any means but I would certainly stay here again for one night.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.

I am pleased you found our Hotel in an ideal location and it is great to hear our team were helpful and polite towards your needs.

I apologise you feel the pillows are not up to your standard, these are all relatively new to the Hotel, however I will be sure to feedback your comments to our provider.

I am pleased, although busy, our breakfast offer met your expectation. We are an incredibly busy Hotel and aim to ensure our breakfast buffet levels are always to our guests satisfaction.

It is great to read you would use the Hotel again, and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 29 March 2012

A very good overnight stop close to the airport. Rooms clean and comfortable, good breakfast the next day. Staff were very friendly, polite and helpful.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 March 2012

The hotel was clean and comfortable, breakfast was OK, but the whole experience felt expensive for what it was. I was awakened repeatedly on the first night from what sounded like a toilet flushing. I was so tired the second night I didn't notice! I was on the first floor and my room temperature was comfortable. My colleage on the second floor was cold. The warm air heating is too noisy to leave on while sleeping.

The adjacent pub is excellent, however. Good food and good service. Very encouraging to encounter young staff who were very well trained with excellent customer service skills.

Then there's Holiday Inn's 'First Night Free' scam... If you find the same hotel booking somewhere else within 24hrs of booking at a cheaper price, you get your first night free! NOT!! I tried to claim, so they made my first night cheaper and second night more expensive!! Talking about moving the goal posts. My colleage, there for the same 2 nights paid exactly the same for each night, because he didn't try as I did to find a cheaper booking.

It beggars belief that a company like this, with presumably US supreme management, does not understand proper customer relations. The damage they've done by alienating my company and others who may read this is worth far more than honoring theyre promotion.

If I got a good deal on another day I would have gone back, but now they're off my list.

Room Tip: Avoid the second floor in cold temperatures, probably nothing to worry about in the summer.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
MeghanWilliams, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Exeter, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2012

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. We value our customer feedback; it helps us to ensure that we meet our guest satisfactions.
I am pleased that the hotel cleanliness met you expectations and my team delivered great customer service, I will feed your comments back to both my housekeeping team and the reception team.
I am sorry to hear that you feel that we did not meet the IHG best price guarantee on this occasion. As Intercontinental Hotels`s customer service department explained when you contacted them, unfortunately you did not meet the terms and conditions of the guarantee.
I am pleased that you are aware of our commitment to offering the best price`s on our website, if you would like to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.
Kind Regards
Debbie Hamnett

Reviewed 7 March 2012

This hotel is in a great position:

2 mins from M5, 10 /15 mins from Exeter airport & opposite the Park and Ride for Exeter City Centre and plenty of free parking at the hotel.
They don't do food in and evening but have a host of take away menus that you can order from and they provide cutlery / plates etc so you don't need to eat out of the box!
There is also a reasonably priced pub across the car park.
Clean and a good price, especially if you take advantage of their advanced bookings (pay up front)
The only thing stopping it getting "Five Circles" is every time I stay there the reception staff treat you with a bit of indifference - they are not rude, they just ignore you until you speak to them.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank MissyEvans
MeghanWilliams, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Exeter, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2012

Thank you very much for sharing your experience of Holiday Inn Express, Exeter.

I apologise you feel you needed to approach our staff member’s first, as from previous reviews this is not a standard we experience often within our team. I will be sure to pass on your comments and action any improvements that need to be addressed.

I am extremely pleased to read you were overly satisfied in every other area of the Hotel. As we are not a full service Hotel we do like to offer whatever we can to ensure a guests stay is made comfortable by providing menu’s, cutlery and local information.

I do hope we see you again in the very near future and reassure your expectations from our team.

Many thanks